Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Installing--why does it show up as a text file?
Installing--why does it show up as a text file?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metraboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Installing--why does it show up as a text file?

Okay, I posted elsewhere on here about how I thought I finally figured out how to open the .gz file--and i think i did figure that one out (had to use an older version of Stuffit--opening through terminal didn't work, though i tried that).

The problem is that once i opened it, the file that came up is read by my iMac as being a text file. I tried forcing installer to open it but it said that I can't install this program.

What am I doing wrong?

metraboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject:

If you have the original .tar.gz file, drop into the terminal and do this:

gzip -d <path to downloaded .tar.gz>
tar -xvf <path to downloaded .tar.gz>

That should get you the original file.

Dan
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Did you use an "FTP" download site, or an "HTTP" download site? Some of the mirrors off of OpenOffice.org that are "HTTP" mirrors don't get MIME types right. Basically, what happens is that files ending in .gz wind up getting downloaded as text or displayed in your browser window. Depending on how lucky you are, this download may be successful and you can still un-gzip it if your web browser didn't decide to start trying to display binary information as ascii.

If you wind up with a download that you can't uncompress, try using one of the "FTP" mirrors. Be sure to set your transfer type to "binary" (e.g. "I" command via command-line FTP).

In order to verify if any of the above download methods are successful, you should check the MD5 sum. There are instructions in a sticky note at the top of the "Mirrors" forum.

For those who are curious, OOo's installer is created as a compressed dimage. Compressing it further with gzip into a ".gz" file doesn't save much space at all. The reason why it's a ".gz" and not a straight dimage is simply because most all of the mirrors do not recognize ".dmg" as a valid binary extension, but will serve up ".gz" extension files as binary streams.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1