Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - PDF import extension available for v3.xx
PDF import extension available for v3.xx

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: PDF import extension available for v3.xx

I've just been playing with this extension from http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport on the v3 aqua beta (the extension requires v3.xx), and I have to say it's pretty bloody impressive so far. I've thrown at it an 18 page PDF in a fairly complex table layout (but that's just text and boxes) and it took a little over a minute to import and display it. All the text items and table boxes are individually editable. Then I tried my largest PDF, which is a 4.2Mb South London bus routes map, which is pretty complicated and high-res. 10 minutes and a lot of fan noise later, it's still working on it - I'll keep you posted... but for online PDF forms this is a real boon for those of us who have crap handwriting, especially as we can import the form, fill it in, and the re-export it as a PDF if necessary.

I'm really looking forward to v3 NeoOffice! Smile

- padmavyuha

*edit* well, it finally got there after about 20 minutes, but it's a bit wonky. Then it hung. But I was testing it sorely.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Thanks

Thanks for letting us know, padmavyuha. I found by trial and error that the 3.0 aqua beta that I had [from March] was not able to do the trick, so I downloaded a more recent beta and it works Smile The first thing I opened was a form prepared by a colleague in Scribus, and that looked very jaggy, but others since have been more impressive. I even found I could edit online catalogues. A regular publication that I am involved with was not so good: full of gobbledigook, only the photos made sense. But for a v0.3 extension, it's v promising.

For others, you need a recent 3.0 beta, then you install the extension as explained in the NeoWiki. [Basically Tools > Extension Manager..., select My Extensions, and Add.., then navigate to the oxt file and press Open]. Restart, then just Open... a pdf file. Bit slow to open, but don't worry. Opens in Draw.

Like you, yoxi, I will do some experimenting. I reckon there's a topic for our user guide volume 2 here! As long as users know it will only work with 3.xx.

Peter
human
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, all you users or newer Intel-based hardware will have to keep us old-school PPC users informed, because the only OOo aqua beta version presently available is exclusively for Intel-based Macs. Wonder if they plan to release a PPC or Universal Binary version later on or if they've decided to abandon support for users of older G4 and G5 Macs. I mean, it's bound to happen sooner or later, but I'd prefer it to be later, since my present financial situation doesn't support replacing my computer anytime soon.

But that begs another question (don't mean to be hijacking the thread here), but if OOo chose not to support PPC-based Macs with version 3.x, would that necessarily preclude NeoOffice from doing so with its version of the software?
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Actually, there is a PPC build available, it's just hard to find. You can download the beta from here:

this download link at good-day.net.

The index for all OOo builds (including more recent Beta Milestones) on the good-day.net server is here:

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/

I haven't tried them, just remembered seeing the discussions (here and here about where to download them over at the OpenOffice Community Forums.

Lorinda
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Look forward to this

I am looking forward to this PDF import function in NeoOffice 3.0 - I used it yesterday with a few forms that I had to fill in for a customs import. Worked well. I can save as .odg, or .pdf when I am ready. I have to say though, that the free, limited GPL program Formulate Pro can do as well, using a different method, and may be quicker, if your need is form-filling.
Peter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject:

human wrote:
But that begs another question (don't mean to be hijacking the thread here), but if OOo chose not to support PPC-based Macs with version 3.x, would that necessarily preclude NeoOffice from doing so with its version of the software?

We have full plans to support PowerPC. The only limitation will be that starting with NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access, we will only support Mac OS X 10.4.x and higher on PowerPC and we will stop supporting 10.3.x.

Patrick
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Nice

Used this function again today in the version 3 beta. While it's not a perfect translation of the pdf [you may lose a few graphics in the change, the fonts selected may look a bit different, and you highlight text a line at a time instead of a paragraph at a time], it's good enough for most of the purposes you will be using it. For example, today I wanted to delete all but 2 pages [non-contiguous] of a 53-page pdf. Did it in a trice with this function. Then I could make whatever edits I liked in the two pages. This will be great in NeoOffice: not a deal-maker, but a really useful addition to a comprehensive program. Smile

Peter
valexa
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject:

was the plugin added to 3.0 by default ? i could open pdf files in draw before installing extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport, after installing it i see no new functionality ?!

i am slightly confused , i thought this allows the import of PDF's as a text document not a drawing
hi_RAM
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject:

You could find some information on Sun PDF Import Extension

Quote:
The PDF Import Extension allows you to import and modify PDF documents. Best results with 100% layout accuracy can be achieved with the "PDF/ODF hybrid file" format, which this extension also enables. A hybrid PDF/ODF file is a PDF file that contains an embedded ODF source file. Hybrid PDF/ODF files will be opened in OpenOffice.org as an ODF file without any layout changes. Users without this extension can open the PDF part of the hybrid file with their PDF viewer.

The PDF Import Extension also allows you to import and modify PDF documents for non hybrid PDF/ODF files. PDF documents are imported in Draw to preserve the layout and to allow basic editing. This is the perfect solution for changing dates, numbers or small portions of text with a minimum loss of formatting information for simple formatted documents.

NeoOffice installs the 0.3.2 but locked, I had also the 1.0... (on a Imac Intel)

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject:

Yes, v0.3.2 comes prepackaged woth Neo v3 (and you can't uninstall that version) but it's fine to install more recent versions alongside it, which will supersede the preinstalled version (and which will themselves be updateable too).

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1