Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - cURL Installer I am Creating
cURL Installer I am Creating

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: cURL Installer I am Creating

Hi-

If someone from NeoOffice reads this I would like to let them know that I am creating a simple cURl Installer for NeoOffice, it is simple and can be used by anyone. I was wondering if NeoOffice would be interested in this, I would give it absolutely for free. I am still testing the prototypes, but it should be finished soon,

thank you for your time
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject:

What exactly does this do differently from the cURL command that is currently published in the Problems? section of our download pages?

Patrick
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Its simpler, for some people who really dont know that much about macs, all you have to do is open it, and it starts downloading, it tells you its working in the menu bar. I'm working on implementing it so that it mounts the image as well. A sort of application for those who are not as mac-savvy as others, the ones who find it hard to copy and paste, and other things like that. No clicks are necessary, and no opening command line interfaces and typing in or pasting long scripts.

Last edited by rab777hp on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject:

So what happens if our cURL command changes? I ask because a constant problem we have had is that ad-based download sites keep trying to bypass our download site and go directly to our mirrors so we have people in some rather elaborate protections against this. Each time we implement new protections, our cURL command changes.

You may wonder why we have these protections, but the reality is that bypassing our mirror load balancing has already permanently knocked out one of our volunteer mirror sites and caused us a $600 bandwidth overage charge a few months ago.

I don't mean to be difficult, but bypassing our download page kills our donation revenue and increases support load so I would like to know more about how this tool of yours is going to work.

Patrick
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I very much like free office suites, so since bypassing the download page and going straight to mirrors would cause you to lose many 0s in revenue, I'll stop with the installer to stop from bypassing the download page.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject:

rab777hp wrote:
I very much like free office suites, so since bypassing the download page and going straight to mirrors would cause you to lose many 0s in revenue, I'll stop with the installer to stop from bypassing the download page.

I don't want to discourage you. I only wanted to pass on some of the reasons why the current cURL command is so rediculously long. Is it possible to design your tool so that we could insert the current cURL command? If so, maybe we can do replace the current cURL command with a download of your tool in the Problems? section.

Edit: when I say "insert the cURL command" I merely mean that your AppleScript or executable has a literal string that I can access. If it has that, we can probably write code to do the replacement on the server.

Patrick
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject:

The only problem is that I'm not using an apple script or executable. There would probably be no way to auto-update to the server.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:

rab777hp wrote:
The only problem is that I'm not using an apple script or executable. There would probably be no way to auto-update to the server.

So what do have right now? Maybe I can think of another way.

Patrick
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually using automator to create this app.
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject:

So, have you come up with any ideas?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject:

rab777hp wrote:
So, have you come up with any ideas?

Unfortunately, I have not done any programming work with Automator so I am not sure what is possible.

Patrick
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Do you know how to create an automator action?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject:

rab777hp wrote:
Do you know how to create an automator action?

I have never used automator. I believe Ed knows automator, though. My programming skills are more C/C++/Java/command line programming. That's where my original idea about having a little executable that downloads from the Problems? section came from.

I figured that if you make it past the initial donation/skip donation page, a user has already read our warnings, donation requests, etc. so they already know who we are and where to get help. So I was thinking that putting a link to a "background download" tool as an alternate download link and that link can download your tool, we would just need to stuff the cURL URLs for the installer, language packs, and patch installers.

Is there some potential convergence between what you have and what I have described?

Patrick
rab777hp
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I think that yes, that would work. If you put a link past all the donation and support pages, etc.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject:

The only issue with the Automator approach is that we need to make it clear it's only for 10.4 downloaders and higher; I don't believe Automator-created executables will run on 10.3. This is less of a problem as we are gradually stepping away from 10.3 support with Neo 3.0 (OOo itself no longer supports compilation with the tools we need to run on 10.3).

Also, make sure to avoid using variables or other 10.5 unique Automator language features. I don't know if workflows using those features will run on 10.4 machines but I can always try that out if you require. Variables would be nice, I admit, since then we can stuff the URL and command options directly into a variable that's a single spot to edit.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6