Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 3.0 beta for mac is out
OOo 3.0 beta for mac is out

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: OOo 3.0 beta for mac is out

They have a versiontracker listing for it now.

Mind you, I saw mails going round on the development of random crashes into this week. But I hope they got most of the bad ones worked out.

Patrick, is their codebase stabilizing somewhat? Or is it still in serious flux? OOoCon is November 5th to 7th, so they've now got three months to their desired release date..

best wishes,
Oscar

P.S. I just read an older article stating that MS would start supporting indusry standards ODF and PDF in the next MS Office release. That makes me quite happy, because at least consumers will not be forced into dealing with alternate formats.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject:

I don't see how this is news. Anyone with an e-mail address can get any download link listed on versiontracker so having software listed on it is a non-event IMHO.

As for stability, I have read that the latest builds have a number of obvious and frequent crashing bugs. That alone is enough to tell me to not waste time working with the latest builds.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I should also add that we are doubly wary of using the OOo 3.0 Beta code at this time as not only are there reports of frequent crashing, but there are reports of build errors in recent OOo milestones.

This amount of instability and changes in the code would be normal if they were still in the initial development stage, but OOo 3.0 Beta was supposedly in code freeze at the end of April. Now, more than 2 months later, significant new crashing bugs and build problems are being introduced in the code.

These events tell me that OOo 3.0 is effectively not in code freeze and significant changes to features and functionality is still being done.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Crystal clear, I should say.
Oh well, this seems to be the standard corporate development cycle..

Just curious,
Oscar

P.S. I thought you were using the Unix/Linux build as a starting point, not the Mac build. Then again, there is major work being done on that as well, AFAICT.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
P.S. I thought you were using the Unix/Linux build as a starting point, not the Mac build. Then again, there is major work being done on that as well, AFAICT.

In the past this has been true. However, since Mac is now an officially supported platform for OOo, we will not be surprised if Mac-specific code changes are found in unexpected places in the code.

For example, there is some talk of disabling the Mozilla Address Book support in OOo Aqua as they think that it is causing OOo to crash on Mac. This seems odd to me since we have had the Mozilla Address Book support activated in NeoOffice for some time now so my guess would be that their crashing bug is being caused elsewhere but then all of this discussion is occurring in a bug with no crash log so who knows what is really occurring. Wink

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Well, they've branched for the 3.0 release. That would ordinarily indicate that the larger and more disruptive features are in place, right?

Best wishes,
Oscar

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully that means they're finally in code freeze (plus no more "CWS integration for fixes")…
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject:

If past experience is anything to go by, there will be quite a few fixes...

-Oz
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject:

Some requests in IZ are also being postponed for 3.1. Some that I think are critical for Mac usability, but hey, I guess I really don't have my finger on the pulse of the Mac market Very Happy

I believe at this point if people want to start writing up feature comparisons and performance comparisons against the betas, I think this "beta" release is in the traditional sense of "no new features". Any performance comparisons should be updated with each subsequent OOo beta or RC release. If the features comparison needs to be updated, however, then Sun really doesn't use the term "beta" in the traditional development sense Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Some requests in IZ are also being postponed for 3.1. Some that I think are critical for Mac usability, but hey, I guess I really don't have my finger on the pulse of the Mac market Very Happy

Perhaps they're thinking "compared X11, Mac users will love anything we give them" Wink

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Perhaps they're thinking "compared X11, Mac users will love anything we give them" Wink

Smokey

who?

Mr. Green
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

Should that be a surprise?

Most likely the developers are Windows programmers who have just been assigned to the task.

Best case they are the Solaris/Linux porters and they think that "Mac usability" is nothing more than pretty buttons and a UI skin.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Smokey

who?

Mr. Green

People who don't appreciate great literature?

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1