NeoOffice :: View topic - Remote control article
Remote control article

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Remote control article

In a week or so, we will be releasing NeoOffice 2.2.4 Patch 3 which will have full support for the Apple remote control to start and run presentations. Currently, there is the following NeoWiki article:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Using_a_remote_with_Impress

Is this page going to obsolete or does it just need to include the content in the following NeoWiki article?:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_2.2.4_Patch_3_New_Features

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Unless the new patch functionality breaks the other programs/remotes (I have none, and don't even know where my Apple Remote might be, so it's hard for me to test that), my feeling is that we should just restructure the existing article around the native support ("built-in support for Apple Remote and Keyspan Front Row Remote!") but continue to mention the other options for those who don't have those two devices.

IOW, I'd replace the intro with a new bit about the native support, and then slightly tweak the other sections to reflect more of an "other options" feel. I can do this over the weekend if that's the consensus.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:

That sounds reasonable. I can then add a link to the updated article in the Patch 3 New Features article.

BTW, I am going to add the following new text on our website when we release Patch 3. Samwise already sent me French translations, can anyone translate the following for the other languages?:

Code:
NeoOffice can now control slideshows using a remote control

Code:
Donate today and help us choose new features for NeoOffice

Where possible, I have spliced in some of the existing translated text so you can see what I have at the following test URL (note that you will need to enter wwwtest for both the user and password):

http://www-test.neooffice.org/neojava/

Thanks,

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
BTW, I am going to add the following new text on our website when we release Patch 3. Samwise already sent me French translations, can anyone translate the following for the other languages?:

Code:

NeoOffice kan nu diapresentaties besturen met een afstandsbediening

Are you sure this is correct? NeoOffice doesn't really control anything...

Code:

Doneer vandaag en help ons om nieuwe mogelijkheden voor NeoOffice te kiezen.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Code:

NeoOffice kan nu diapresentaties besturen met een afstandsbediening

Are you sure this is correct? NeoOffice doesn't really control anything...

After repeating this text out loud, it is pretty obvious that my text sounds odd. So how does the following sound?:

Code:
NeoOffice slideshows can now be run using a remote control

ovvldc wrote:
Code:

I noticed that you used "mogelijkheden" in this translation but "eigenschappen" is used at the top of the page. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Remote control article

FYI, I have finished merging the new information and updating the existing NeoWiki remote article:

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Code:

NeoOffice diapresentaties kunnen nu met een afstandbediening bestuurd worden.

ovvldc wrote:
Code:

pluby wrote:
I noticed that you used "mogelijkheden" in this translation but "eigenschappen" is used at the top of the page. Is this correct?

Well, both are legitimate translations of the word 'features'. However, 'mogelijkheden' translates into the direction of possibilities, whereas 'eigenschappen' translates into the direction of properties. As this is about future additions, I figured that possibilities was the place to go.

I seem to remember that 'eigenschappen' was used when I first started updating translations, and though I have my doubts, I did not want to upend the thinking of the previous translators..

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Code:

NeoOffice diapresentaties kunnen nu met een afstandbediening bestuurd worden.

Thanks. I have added this translation to the test website.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Remote control article

sardisson wrote:
FYI, I have finished merging the new information and updating the existing NeoWiki remote article:

Since there are a few translations of this page, would it be best to copy the new English text into the translations?

I will added a link to the patch download page when we release the patch, but I only have English.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Typically we rely on the translators to pick up the changes, but since the changes were relatively small, there's not been much activity recently from the Spanish or Italian teams (RoyFocker did translate some release notes recently, though), and since the article is about a featured improvement in the new patch, I've gone ahead and copied all the English changes over and tagged the pages with the appropriate Fixme templates. (I've also done a little bit of trying-to-translate the on the French page, but hopefully Samwise or another of our Francophones can fix my errors and finish up the page Wink )

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Smokey,

Thanks for doing this. I understand that for most articles we would not copy the English to the localized articles but we are only making an exception in this case because the existing localized text says the opposite of what the new English text.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
but we are only making an exception in this case because the existing localized text says the opposite of what the new English text.

Right, and in this case that would be bad Wink

Looks like Samwise has polished off the French page, so it's up-to-date and all in French, too.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I've updated the Remote Control article again with a new section (and preceding paragraph) describing how NeoOffice determines if it responds to the remote and Ed's new user defaults support for disabling (and re-enabling) the remote support entirely.

I've pasted the English text into the French, Italian, and Spanish articles; hopefully Samwise or another of our Francophones can translate the new bits into French—merci!

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks for adding the new defaults commands to the wiki already...I had commented to Patrick that I should add them today and, lo, they're already there!

Thanks wiki elves Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1