Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - extracting a picture from a document
extracting a picture from a document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technoidiot
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: extracting a picture from a document

please bear with me when I explain - it's a bit convoluted.

OK my system - a MacBook C2D running on 10.4.11 and FF Browser. I also use Neooffice too [ now there's a surprise Very Happy ]

Recently my younger daughter sent me through her work computer, a picture of herself embedded in a Word document file. I want to extract this but am totally unable to .

When I open the attachment it of course opens in NeoOffice [ as it's meant to ] but just how can I get the pic extracted ?

Can someone give me - in words of half a syllable and non geeky language a way of doing this ?

I would be so grateful if you can help

The technoidiot
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject:

sorry for the basic response - in what manner are you trying to extract it as such? dragging it? control click/right click and save as, or what?

also try saving the file as .odt format and then open it and see if you can drag it or save as on the picture.

I never used Word so I am just guessing.

Last edited by K-9 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hegel
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Maybe there's an easier way, but this is what I would do:

1. Control-click on the photo
2. Choose "copy" from the pop-up contextual menu
3. Launch Preview and choose "New from Clipboard"
4. Save picture

Hope this helps.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Hegel's response is probably the easiest way Wink

For the record, the way to do it entirely inside NeoOffice is to select the picture in the Word document, copy (Cmd-C, "Copy" from the Edit menu, etc.), open a new Draw document, paste, and then Ctrl-click on the picture in the Draw document and choose "Save Picture As…"

As I said, Hegel's method is easier Wink (In his method, you can also change 1 and 2 to 1) click on the picture 2) Cmd-C or "Copy" from the Edit menu—I find that slightly easier than the Ctrl-click.)

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Wink I personally do it in probably the geekiest way...

Open .doc, save as .odt, change extension of .odt to .zip, extract the .zip, then look for the image there.

Haven't tried Hegel's way, but that definitely seems the way to go.
technoidiot
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject:

The basic problem was that I wanted to grab the pic and import it to iPhoto Smile

As for clicking dragging and dropping - not a chance - believe me an Apple Trainer and I have done all that Smile

No option to export it either

I'll try all the other possible solutions during this weekend and let you know how I get on .

All the rest of the family use PCs - I'm the only sensible one Smile
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject:

thepoch wrote:
Wink I personally do it in probably the geekiest way...

Open .doc, save as .odt, change extension of .odt to .zip, extract the .zip, then look for the image there.

From having had to do this many, many times myself, this is the only way to go if you want to extract the original image (as opposed to clipboard copies) but perhaps needs a little bit more explanation to follow.

1. Open the Word format (.doc or .docx) document in NeoOffice.
2. Save a copy of the file in OpenDocument Text format (e.g. example.odt) (File>Save as... and select OpenDocument Text in the File Type drop down menu before saving.)
3. Close the file in NeoOffice.
4. Back in the Finder, locate your new file example.odt where you saved it, select it with a single click and choose File>Get Info
5. In the Get Info window, open the Name & Extension section. Make sure that the "Hide extension" box is unticked. Now change the file extension from ".odt" to ".zip"
6. Close the Get Info window. A warning appears asking you to confirm the change to the file extension. Click on the "Use .zip" button. You'll see the icon of your file will change from a NeoOffice icon to a zip archive icon and the file name is now "example.zip"
7. Double click on the example.zip archive. It expands to create a new folder in the same location which will be called simply "example".
8. Inside this folder is a "Pictures" folder which contains all the images from the original Word document. They are named in an esoteric fashion but browse through them and you'll find the image you are looking for.

Thanks to free, open source software, users of M$ Office have a way of extracting all those images which cannot be extracted using Micro$oft's own products. This same technique can also be used with M$ PowerPoint and Excel original files.

Note to web editors: You'll also find a "Thumbnails" folder inside the expanded archive folder which contains a handy ready-to-upload image of the front page of the document.

Trust this helps.

K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject:

Nice rays!!! Expertly put.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject:

If its any use to anyone I've just cobbled together an Automator workflow that does all this for you and dumps the expanded zip file on the Desktop.

Open it in Automator and then either save it as an application (which you can drag and drop files on to) or save it as a Finder plugin (then you can ctrl-click a file and choose the action from the contextual menu).

Its here
If that stops working try going to here instead

(Perversley whilst all other .mac addresses seem to redirect to me.com, this one actually goes the other way!)

Cheers,

Andy
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject:

I've added this thread to the New Articles Needed page in the Neowiki. With any luck, I"ll have time to transform it into an article today.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1