Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Patch 4 launches remote-disk aliases on desktop?
Patch 4 launches remote-disk aliases on desktop?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Patch 4 launches remote-disk aliases on desktop?

I have encountered a strange new behavior in NOJ 1.1a2.4. When navigating past the desktop while opening (and perhaps also saving), NOJ mounts servers whose aliases are on the desktop. I replicated this at home as well as at work.

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as a bug or a "feature," but I never experienced this behavior in prior versions, and I could do without it now, because it causes delays if it does work, and failure alerts if it doesn't.

I couldn't find this issue on BugZilla. Any insight? Cheers,
--
Gib Henry

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch 4 launches remote-disk aliases on desktop?

GibHenry wrote:
I have encountered a strange new behavior in NOJ 1.1a2.4. When navigating past the desktop while opening (and perhaps also saving), NOJ mounts servers whose aliases are on the desktop. I replicated this at home as well as at work.

I am not sure that I understand by "navigating past the desktop", but from what you describe, Neo/J is trying to read the alias or files on the servers that the alias points to.

My guess is that one or more of your Neo/J user preferences have the path to the alias or the servers in them.

To test this theory, close Neo/J, move your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 directory, and restart Neo/J.

Patrick
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch 4 launches remote-disk aliases on desktop?

pluby wrote:
GibHenry wrote:

I am not sure that I understand by "navigating past the desktop", but from what you describe, Neo/J is trying to read the alias or files on the servers that the alias points to.

My guess is that one or more of your Neo/J user preferences have the path to the alias or the servers in them.

To test this theory, close Neo/J, move your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 directory, and restart Neo/J.

Patrick

No change. I quit NOJ, ejected the other computers, moved ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 to the desktop, and re-launched NOJ. Same behavior.

Here's the situation: On my desktop there are 2 aliases to 2 other computers in the office. The new behavior is that when I navigate via the Open dialog box to the desktop (~/Desktop), there's a pause while those 2 other computers' disks mount on my desktop, and then show up as folders in the NOJ file browser.

The aliases have been there for quite a while, but I've never noticed that they caused mounting before (I've had platinum sounds enabled all along, and can "hear" the disks mounting). It's entirely possible that I've simply overlooked them, but I don't think so.

So, following your clue about paths, I trashed the new ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1, restored my original one, and then looked though all my Tools/Options and didn't find any paths pointing toward either of the other computers (and there shouldn't be any, either!).

Perhaps this is just how Java does it? Cheers,

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch 4 launches remote-disk aliases on desktop?

GibHenry wrote:
Here's the situation: On my desktop there are 2 aliases to 2 other computers in the office. The new behavior is that when I navigate via the Open dialog box to the desktop (~/Desktop), there's a pause while those 2 other computers' disks mount on my desktop, and then show up as folders in the NOJ file browser.

The aliases have been there for quite a while, but I've never noticed that they caused mounting before (I've had platinum sounds enabled all along, and can "hear" the disks mounting). It's entirely possible that I've simply overlooked them, but I don't think so.

I figured out what the problem is. I added support for following Mac OS X aliases in one of the first Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 patches and, by default, resolving an aliases that point to an unmounted volume will cause Mac OS X to try to mount the alias.

I have modified the Neo/J code to disable this automatic mounting so that, if you have an alias to an unmounted volume, the open and save dialogs will show the alias as a zero-length file (i.e. just like a softlink that refers to a non-existent file).

I will include this fix in the next patch.
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch 4 launches remote-disk aliases on desktop?

pluby wrote:
GibHenry wrote:

I figured out what the problem is. I added support for following Mac OS X aliases in one of the first Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 patches and, by default, resolving an aliases that point to an unmounted volume will cause Mac OS X to try to mount the alias.

I have modified the Neo/J code to disable this automatic mounting so that, if you have an alias to an unmounted volume, the open and save dialogs will show the alias as a zero-length file (i.e. just like a softlink that refers to a non-existent file).

I will include this fix in the next patch.

Not only a genius, but a fast one at that! Thanks a bunch for such a quick fix to a minor but annoying "issue". Cheers,

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1