Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - reading layout for neooffice
reading layout for neooffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiLK
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: reading layout for neooffice

Hello.

MS Word for PC offers useful feature called reading layout. It simply optimalises the look of the document for more confortable reading on the computer screen without any change to the document itself. It usually put the text on two pages and spread the text to fit as much space as possible. It also includes other features like making text look bigger/smaller and so on (talking about MS 2007, 2003 was not so rich for advanced features, although it had this reading layout too).
http://static.flickr.com/48/155205740_973fdb9781_o.jpg
What do you think about something like this for neooffice?
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:

Something similar to what you're requesting will be coming along in a few months. OpenOffice (the code basis for NeoOffice) version 3 has an improved Zoom function that includes the option to view side-by-side pages. NeoOffice will be migrating to the v3 code sometime before the end of the year, once OpenOffice v3 has stabilised.

- padmavyuha
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject:

Click on the following link for more details about the NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access release.

--fran
TiLK
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject:

This is not really what I am looking for. Zoom feature change the size of whole page, including text. So when I want the text to be good enough for me to read it, I end up with the general layout. MS word ignores the size of page I am using, it just take the text and spread it over the display (in fullscreen) so its easier to read it, because it shows as much of the text as possible (so I dont have to scroll the page so often). In other words it is something like e-book reading software imitation.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:

TiLK wrote:
This is not really what I am looking for. Zoom feature change the size of whole page, including text. So when I want the text to be good enough for me to read it, I end up with the general layout. MS word ignores the size of page I am using, it just take the text and spread it over the display (in fullscreen) so its easier to read it, because it shows as much of the text as possible (so I dont have to scroll the page so often). In other words it is something like e-book reading software imitation.

While NeoOffice does not have this exact feature, there is something similar already in NeoOffice:

1. Select the File :: Print Preview menu
2. Set the Zoom list box in the toolbar to 100%
3. Press the Full Screen toolbar button

This will show two pages at a time side by side. If your pages are too big for the screen, type a slightly smaller percentage in the Zoom list box in the toolbar (I used 90%) on my screen.

Patrick
TiLK
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the tip. Its kind of workaround too. But on my MacBook I have to zoom it out to less than 80% which is already quite unreadable for me. I think there could be something like e-book reader plugin for Neooffice to bring here what I am looking for. Maybe request to think about...

For now I try to look for some other software for Mac which is designed more for reading, than for editation of the text (any ideas?). Or I will get used to scroll (same like the rest of my schoolmates who didnt discover this feature in MS Word so far Very Happy )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:

TiLK wrote:
For now I try to look for some other software for Mac which is designed more for reading, than for editation of the text (any ideas?). Or I will get used to scroll (same like the rest of my schoolmates who didnt discover this feature in MS Word so far Very Happy )

So if you already have Microsoft Word and you really find a lot of value in this particular feature, why not use Word? Word really does have some advanced features (and why Microsoft can charge a non-trivial amount) that donation-funded software like NeoOffice does not.

Patrick
TiLK
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Thats because I forgot to mention that only MS Word for Windows include this feature. There is nothing like that in Mac version. And there is also other reason to prefer neooffice. Word for Mac does not offer spellcheck in slovak language, kind of important for me...
vulture
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this will accomplish what you are hoping for, but it works for me:

1. Create your document
2. Save as .pdf file
3. Open using "Skim" http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/index.html
TiLK
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:

I will check it. And I will think whats the best for me. Thanks. Just remember there is this kind of a request... maybe one day ´Smile
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject:

The problem is that with NeoOffice's resources, your feature request is not possible to implement, even as part of the New Features Program…
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject:

TiLK wrote:
I will check it. And I will think whats the best for me. Thanks. Just remember there is this kind of a request... maybe one day ´Smile

As Samwise mentioned, NeoOffice is not backed by Fortune 500 companies like Firefox. Instead, we are a user funded and user tested product so users must come together to donate enough funds to cover the costs of implementing a new feature. We are working on a new approach for allowing people to vote with their donations for often requested features. More details about this prosposed approach are in this forum topic.

That said, what I don't understand is what is so different about your feature request from the File :: Print Preview workaround. If using the workaround still yields difficult to read pages and those pages fill the available screen space, I don't see what option there is left but to zoom larger and use scrolling as we cannot make your monitor larger or higher resolution that it already is.

Of course, the window titlebar and scrollbars take a few pixels of the top, right, and bottom sides. However, if you are only able to zoom to 80% without having the pages get clipped, eliminating those items will likely only bump that level up to 85%.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject:

TiLK wrote:

Can't you get something like this using Web Layout mode? (View -> Web Layout). If you use the Zoom function to to increase the text size it will all still fit in the window without the need to scroll horizontally.

HtH

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1