NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Daniel,

djpimley wrote:
I've uploaded a new NeoOffice Aqua Elements package.

Download: http://www.pimley.net/projects/downloads/NeoOfficeAquaElements.dmg

There is something seriously corrupted in this .dmg file. Not only can it not be mounted (Mac OS X gives a "codec overrun" error), but it is nearly 10 times the size of the NeoOfficeAquaElements.dmg that we used for the last release.

Can you take a look at this? I would not expect the .dmg file to be larger than 3 or 4 MB.

Edit: there is something definitely horked on your webserver as the HTTP headers say that the file length is 31016155 but your webserver pushes 29.5 MB of data.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you take a look at this? I would not expect the .dmg file to be larger than 3 or 4 MB.

Edit: there is something definitely horked on your webserver as the HTTP headers say that the file length is 31016155 but your webserver pushes 29.5 MB of data.

I've uploaded it fresh and done some testing. Something very odd going on here. Using freshly made images or images downloaded from my web site I get the same thing...

First mount:
Code:

Checksumming Protective Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)…
Protective Master Boot Record (MBR :: verified   CRC32 $FBA7FE24
Checksumming GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1)…
 GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1): verified   CRC32 $DD98543E
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Table : 2)…
GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Tabl: verified   CRC32 $7FB1ABEF
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 3)…
                    (Apple_Free : 3): verified   CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming disk image (Apple_HFS : 4)…
..................................................................................................................................
          disk image (Apple_HFS : 4): verified   CRC32 $85B5BEF6
Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 5)…
                    (Apple_Free : 5): verified   CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table : 6)…
GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table: verified   CRC32 $7FB1ABEF
Checksumming GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 7)…
  GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 7): verified   CRC32 $B2B8B3DD
verified   CRC32 $5FB0D6BE
/dev/disk3             GUID_partition_scheme             
/dev/disk3s1           Apple_HFS                         /Volumes/NeoOffice Aqua Elements 3

Unmount and remount the same image without any other actions:

Code:

Daniel-Pimleys-Mac-Pro:~ dan$ hdiutil attach /Users/dan/Desktop/NeoOfficeAquaElements.dmg
expected   CRC32 $5FB0D6BE
/dev/disk3             GUID_partition_scheme             
/dev/disk3s1           Apple_HFS                         /Volumes/NeoOffice Aqua Elements 3
Daniel-Pimleys-Mac-Pro:~ dan$

Is the image mounter modifying the image somehow...? Shocked

The size of the package has increased a great deal due to three reasons: the new 512px icons are about 4x times greater file size than the old ones, and the source files are similarly 4x bigger; there is a lot more repetition because now every single image in the Akua folders is also in the images folder - this gives you/me/Armando the option to either use Iconic or directly inject the files into a zip archive from the images folder; last but not least, the Aqua cursors are now in this archive whereas previously they were in a separate package.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
The image mounter is modifying the file somehow... Shocked

The size of the package has increased a great deal due to three reasons: the new 512px icons are about 4x times greater file size than the old ones, and the source files are similarly 4x bigger; there is a lot more repetition because now every single image in the Akua folders is also in the images folder - this gives you/me/Armando the option to either use Iconic or directly inject the files into a zip archive from the images folder; last but not least, the Aqua cursors are now in this archive whereas previously they were in a separate package.

Why are we stuffing all sorts of large duplicates into these files? Seriously, it makes it very difficult to put these in cvs when we are dealing with 30 MB files.

In the past, the ship.icns and ship.psd were separate from the .dmg. Putting them in your .dmg file only means that I have to extract them and cvs checkin another copy of these files.

As for the automounter problem, why not just put things in a .zip file? We have to go through all sorts of gyrations to turn your .dmg file into a .zip file as it is difficult to script unzipping files in a makefile.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject:

So I don't want to be picky, but I am very worried that the process of putting together these image packages has been changed. This worries me greatly as the NeoOffice build lays down these files in a specific order and if the order of steps changes, I need to rewrite the scripts in our makefile as well as all of the preparatory steps to get your .dmg files into a .zip file that the makefile can unpack using Terminal commands.

I understand that it was difficult for you and Armando to separate what files are yours and which are the unmodified OpenOffice.org files, but if you are changing the types of files included in any one of these .dmg files, it will either break the build or it will end up overwriting the wrong files.

My assumption was that the two .dmg files would have the same list of files as before with only a few of them changed. Given the length of the list for the Akua set and what you describe for the extras, this does not appear to be case.

Is it possible to use the same process as you used for NeoOffice 2.2.3? If you want to change the process, can we wait until NeoOffice 3.0 when I have to rewrite the makefile's installer build scripts?

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Why are we stuffing all sorts of large duplicates into these files? Seriously, it makes it very difficult to put these in cvs when we are dealing with 30 MB files.

I'll remove the Akua folder. This was previously how I provided my toolbar icons to Armando but I will assume that it is not necessary any more, if he can inject my images folder. Of course assumptions... well, they can cause their own problems. Wink

pluby wrote:

In the past, the ship.icns and ship.psd were separate from the .dmg. Putting them in your .dmg file only means that I have to extract them and cvs checkin another copy of these files.

Erm... there have never been any such files in any of my packages. I am not the author of the ship icon.

pluby wrote:

As for the automounter problem, why not just put things in a .zip file?

Force of habit. Sure, I'll zip it and give you a new link. I'll do it tomorrow. It's 3 AM now - probably not the best time to be doing this kind of work. Smile
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
if you are changing the types of files included in any one of these .dmg files, it will either break the build or it will end up overwriting the wrong files.

Re the images.zip: I am sure what Armando and I have given you (once we give you something not corrupted!) should make the images.zip build process redundant. Images.zip now contains everything that we have modified from OOo standard so there shouldn't be any need to take some of my stuff, some of Armando's stuff, some of Oscar's stuff. I'm pretty sure that Oscar's toolbar icons are now redundant because I have since replaced them all with newer versions (Oscar, I'd be grateful if you could chip in if you know different).

The paths to splash images and Finder icons are unchanged. I could certainly have misunderstood, but I thought the Aqua cursors did not have to be pulled into a build process every time - I got the impression from Ed that replacing those cursor images was a one shot deal, done when you guys were hacking on the cursor code.

Re dmg vs. zip: would you like me to stick with dmg or make a zip instead?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
The paths to splash images and Finder icons are unchanged. I could certainly have misunderstood, but I thought the Aqua cursors did not have to be pulled into a build process every time - I got the impression from Ed that replacing those cursor images was a one shot deal, done when you guys were hacking on the cursor code.

You are correct. The cursor icons are not pulled from your .dmg. The cursor icons were cvs committed in the code. So, if you have changed those, I need to manually copy those into the properly place in the code or they won't go into the build.

I don't care if it is .zip or .dmg and I understand that the file will be a bit bigger than before. But in the past there was no images.zip, ship.* files, or cursor files in there. So, what I would like is to have the ship.* files and any new cursor files separated or else I will likely miss them.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The cursor icons were cvs committed in the code. So, if you have changed those [...]

They have not changed. You can disregard the cursor files.

pluby wrote:
Iin the past there was no images.zip, ship.* files, or cursor files in there. So, what I would like is to have the ship.* files and any new cursor files separated or else I will likely miss them.

Here is a zip archive.
http://www.pimley.net/projects/downloads/NeoOfficeAquaElements.zip

There are no cursors or Akua folders included. There are no ship.* files in this archive - and there never have been in any archive I have uploaded. As with all my previous packages, the splash images are in Contents/MacOS and the Finder icons are in Contents/Resources. Your build process (discussed here) applies Smokey's toolbar document icons to all icon sets, then applies my and Armando's icons. This should continue to work as previously because my images/* directory structure is unchanged.

I hope that resolves the confusion. If you need me to do something different just let me know.

What I and Armando have moved towards is a system in which Armando gives you a complete images.zip containing every toolbar icon we have contributed, thereby avoiding all the mess of injecting icons from numerous sources. If we need to continue to inject Neo branded toolbar icons into the other icon sets (Crystal etc.) then for future builds I can give you a full list of those files so that you are not dependent on Smokey's totally redundant archive of icon files simply to generate that list.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Oscar's toolbar icons are now redundant because I have since replaced them all with newer versions (Oscar, I'd be grateful if you could chip in if you know different).

I think there are still one or two (zoom) icons of mine, but feel free to ignore anything I say on this Smile. I put them in the public domain long ago.

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I think there are still one or two (zoom) icons of mine

I think Armando has integrated or replaced them in his Akua contributions.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject:

You two were always better artists than me. I just replaced some when there was a need and there were quite a few that could be made to look better with little effort or talent Wink.

But yes, Armando integrated them all long ago and then steadily replaced them.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
I hope that resolves the confusion. If you need me to do something different just let me know.

Yes, it definitely is much clearer. Also, even with the 512 pixel Finder icons the .zip file is less than half the size of the .dmg file that I downloaded yesterday so it appears that the .zip is not suffering from the webserver wierdness that the .dmg file had.

One question: now that we have 512 pixel Finder icons, is there any plans for a 512 pixel ship icon or should I just use our existing 256 pixel ship icon?

Other than that question, I only need to get a new .dmg from Armando with an uncorrect images.zip file (or at least confirmation that the corruption is limited only to that one openabout.psd file).

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject:

Daniel,

pluby wrote:
Other than that question, I only need to get a new .dmg from Armando with an uncorrect images.zip file (or at least confirmation that the corruption is limited only to that one openabout.psd file).

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. With your new .zip file, the installer builds without error. However, when I run the installation, the New toolbar icon (the one where you can open a new document in the upper right-hand corner) is smaller than before and when you click and hold the icon, the popup menu has lots of whitespace between each menu item.

It appears that you have done the following:

1. Used 16x16 icons for the toolbar icon
2. Increased the transparency area around the icons in the popup menu so that these icons are 26x26 but look 16x16

The toolbar icons were always 26x26 and the popup menu icons 16x16. Can this be corrected?

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
One question: now that we have 512 pixel Finder icons, is there any plans for a 512 pixel ship icon or should I just use our existing 256 pixel ship icon?

That's a question for foxcorner.

IIRC the ship is vector graphics and so can be generated at 512px without trouble, but the globe is a 256px bitmap that would have to be re-mastered at 512px. If foxcorner (Dan) provides the 512px ship I could do the work on the globe bitmap. However due to time restrictions I think this is a job for 3.0, not now.

pluby wrote:

I've pm'ed Armando. If we don't get a reply by tomorrow afternoon GMT then I'll look into it myself.
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
when I run the installation, the New toolbar icon (the one where you can open a new document in the upper right-hand corner) is smaller than before

Rest assured that all the lx icons are 26px and all the sx icons are 16px, with the exception mentioned below.

These icons has been redesigned to be a better fit with Armando's style of document icon but still retain the character of the Finder icons. Because the toolbar icons are 26px neither the 16px or 32px Finder icons are optimal for the toolbar. Previously I scaled the 32px Finder icons to fit the toolbars but they always looked noticeably blurred to me. This time I made fresh icons from scratch. There are a few pixels of transparent space around the edges but this is the case with many of my and Armando's icons - the 26px icons are not 16px icons with extra padding.

pluby wrote:
and when you click and hold the icon, the popup menu has lots of whitespace between each menu item.

The behaviour you are describing is what I described previously when I discovered the cause of the mangled icon that Armando reported:

Quote:
It's the icon file sx03242.png - one of mine. There are two versions of the new document icons, lx and sx. All the sx icons should be 16px because they are used in the menus. The lx icons are 26px because they are shown in the new document toolbar icon.

However sx03242.png is being used for the menu and the toolbar icon. This is an OpenOffice bug. I can work around it by making the icon sx03242.png 26px - it looks a little weird in the menu because it's obviously the wrong size but it's not messed up like the icon in your image.

The icon file sx03242.png is intentionally the wrong size - 26px instead of 16px - to resolve the mangling problem. This is a work-around for a bug in Open Office. It's a choice between the new document menu spacing being expanded by the oversized icon or this:

I don't mind which it is - I just need to know so I can make changes accordingly.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9