· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - ohloh stats
ohloh stats

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: ohloh stats

I was browsing around for a bit and I looked at the NeoOffice stats on ohloh.net.

There's funny bits, such as the analysis of Patrick's contribution:

Quote:
pluby
This developer has been contributing to this project since June 2003, with a total of 63 person-months of code development.

Which calculates to working on NeoOffice full-time since June 2003 Smile. Ed scored two years full-time, which is equally impressive for someone with a day job.

It also says ground-up development of NeoOffice would cost $ 3,141,449. So if anyone out there is still pondering a donation, I'd say go ahead right now Wink.

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ohloh stats

ovvldc wrote:
There's funny bits, such as the analysis of Patrick's contribution:

Quote:
pluby
This developer has been contributing to this project since June 2003, with a total of 63 person-months of code development.

Which calculates to working on NeoOffice full-time since June 2003 Smile.

Which is especially humorous to those of us who remember the old days when Patrick would work on Neo for about a month and then nearly disappear for a month at a time to do a consulting job.

How the world has changed Smile

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I remember that. It just goes to show that Patrick has been putting in overtime. Quite a bit Cool.

-Oz
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject:

That's quite incredible isn't it! I just can't decide why on the reviews bit there's more of those "it's slow" comments - I'd love to know what they're comparing it to - I don't think it's any slower than any other app of its size.

Hats off to Patrick and Ed for their many hours/days/weeks/months/YEARS!

Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:

ohloh.net's "person months" of work is uncannily accurate. When I tally up the number of months that I have worked full-time on NeoOffice, I come up with nearly the same number.

That site reminded me of the pivotal event that happened in 2005: an anonymous donor approached us gave us a significant amount of funding. This funding plus some personal savings allowed me to stop consulting work and devote all my efforts to NeoOffice.

Of course, since then donations and the help from volunteers have allowed me to keep working full-time on NeoOffice and by working full-time, we have been able to provide very fast and effective support and bug fixing. This, in turn, has allowed Ed to focus his limited spare time exclusively on new features. That, in turn, allowed me to focus on speed and stability improvements.

When I look back over the last 5 years, I really am amazed how the many small donations and volunteering by our users has brought us so far. If someone told me 10 years ago what I would be doing today, I would have thought that they were delusional but, much to my surprise, here we are. Smile

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I remember you saying in the early days that it would never work to do this on volunteer money. I am quite happy that you were proven wrong Smile.

edit: On the accuracy of ohloh: could it also be that code just takes a certain amount of time to write properly, no matter what you write? A sort of maturity thing... I wish someone could give me good numbers for a Ph.D. thesis. Then at least I would know how much I have left to do Embarassed.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1