Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Building new releases of Neo/J from releases of OOo
Building new releases of Neo/J from releases of OOo

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Building new releases of Neo/J from releases of OOo

Hi all,

I have a random (probably nonsensical) question: What are the primary difficulties in taking a developer snapshot of OOo and turning it into a snapshot release of Neo/J? Does this process entail hand-translating the C source code into Java? And if so, is there any path to automating this process, or at least a significant part?

I'm wondering about this because my primary computer is an OS X box, but the number of bugfixes between the OOo 1.1.x stable releases and the latest beta (which is 1.9m60 at the moment, I think) is enormous. This includes a number of what for me are show-stopping bugs (particularly in the Powerpoint/Impress module), to the point where I keep a copy of the latest developer release on my Win2K and Linux boxes at all times. Even the X11-based release for OS X is based on 1.1.2.

I remember seeing in a post somewhere in these forums that Patrick fixes many bugs in the process of rolling out each release of Neo/J -- I assume this is in addition to all the bugfixes incorporated into the OOo release on which it was based -- but is there any way at all to generate an OS X version from the once-every-three-weeks-or-so developer snapshots? (Of course, I realize any such thing would be extremely pre-alpha quality and accompanied by all sorts of disclaimers, but that's OK for me...)

Perhaps this question is better directed to the OOo-on-OSX forums?

In any case, thanks for all your hard work on Neo/J (I use it as my primary office app on a daily basis!).

Cheers,

Dave
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new releases of Neo/J from releases of OOo

Anonymous wrote:
I remember seeing in a post somewhere in these forums that Patrick fixes many bugs in the process of rolling out each release of Neo/J -- I assume this is in addition to all the bugfixes incorporated into the OOo release on which it was based -- but is there any way at all to generate an OS X version from the once-every-three-weeks-or-so developer snapshots? (Of course, I realize any such thing would be extremely pre-alpha quality and accompanied by all sorts of disclaimers, but that's OK for me...)

Trying to build OOo X11 from every developer snapshot is a full-time job. IIRC, this effort alone is a full-time job for several of Sun's release engineers to do for the Windows, Linux, and Solaris platforms. Sun's engineers are continually making incompatible changes to the OOo codebase so building a new snapshot is rarely any less effort than building the previous snapshot.

It is for this reason that I don't bother trying to build OOo X11 until Sun has releases stable OOo releases on Windows, Linux, and Solaris. In fact, given the changes that Sun has already made for OOo 2.0, I suspect that I will spend at least a month in 2005 getting OOo X11 to build on Jaguar. Sad

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new releases of Neo/J from releases of OOo

pluby wrote:
It is for this reason that I don't bother trying to build OOo X11 until Sun has releases stable OOo releases on Windows, Linux, and Solaris. In fact, given the changes that Sun has already made for OOo 2.0, I suspect that I will spend at least a month in 2005 getting OOo X11 to build on Jaguar. Sad

From what I gather from the porting list, a feature complete 2.0 preview is now almost done on Windows, Linux and Solaris. Most people still have problems building 1.1.3 (645 codeline) on Jaguar. The more adventurous Panther contributers are slowly working through the breakage in the 2.0 (680) codeline but it won't even remotely build, so far.

According to a very old document on the OO.org website it will take a good 3 months at least for the engineer to get OpenOffice 2.0 to build on the Mac, after they finish their tier1 platform (Win/Lin/Sol) versions.

As NeoOffice/J is based on the X11 version, I suspect a NeoOffice 2.0 (maybe drop the /J for that one) version is still over the horizon . .

So even if Patrick has time (and donations) to instantly refactor the Java code from the 645 codeline to the 680 codeline, I wouldn't expect it before late spring.. And then there is the switch to Java (1.)5..

Ed or Patrick, please correct me if I am wrong here...
I personally don't expect any NeoOffice 2.0 before summer 2005. I hope this doesn't discourage you, Dave.

Also, FYI, AFAIK, not all of the C++ code is translated to Java. The NeoOffice/Java code 'only' adds to and replaces a large part of the user- and some of the system interfaces of OpenOffice.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new releases of Neo/J from releases of OOo

ovvldc wrote:
So even if Patrick has time (and donations) to instantly refactor the Java code from the 645 codeline to the 680 codeline, I wouldn't expect it before late spring.. And then there is the switch to Java (1.)5..

Ed or Patrick, please correct me if I am wrong here...
I personally don't expect any NeoOffice 2.0 before summer 2005. I hope this doesn't discourage you, Dave.

You are correct. Last year, OOo X11 for Mac didn't get released until OOo 1.1.2 was out which was several months after OOo 1.1 was released on Windows, Linux, and Solaris.

ovvldc wrote:
Also, FYI, AFAIK, not all of the C++ code is translated to Java. The NeoOffice/Java code 'only' adds to and replaces a large part of the user- and some of the system interfaces of OpenOffice.

More specifically, there is no C++ to Java code translation. What I have done is add a Mac OS X platform implementation to the existing Windows and X11 implementations. It just so happens that much of my Mac OS X platform implementation uses Java.

Patrick
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Toying with NeoJ

I was wondering what it takes to build NeoJ and hopefully play a little with the code. Are the build instructions on the NeoJ website still working?

Is there any way you can "download" the whole code beforehand? I've been toying with the idea of building NeoJ for a while, but 2 things were keeping me from doing it: 1) my HD was full and 2) I have a "slow" 128 kbps internet connection.

As for #1, I upgraded the HD in my PB to a 60 Gig, so I now have plenty of space, and as for #2, I might be able to either find a wifi "hot spot", or to "borrow" some bandwith from my company.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject:

Yes, the build instructions are still current although I have heard reports that OOo won't build if you have installed the latest XCode tools on Panther. Other than that, the build should work as long as you follow the instructions exactly. However, don't be surprised if the OOo code doesn't build. Even though we are checking out a stable branch from OOo, changes may have been made to that branch since I or Ed last checked it out.

As for downloading the source, I don't think anyone has posted a tar.gz of that branch on the OOo website. No matter how you cut it, the OOo codebase is absolutely huge so you may want check out the Neo/J code (this should be very fast) and then start the Neo/J build (which checks out OOo) and just let it run in the background overnight. Even with my 384KB/s DSL connection, it still takes a few hours for OOo to checkout.

BTW, if the build breaks, we can't provide much help and you are on your own but you can search the dev@porting.openoffice.org mailing list archives to find potentially helpful ideas at http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/SearchList?listName=dev.

Patrick

Patrick
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Building NeoJ

Patrick, I have found that Ximian does make tarballs of the OOo source (which can be found here), so now I was wondering 1) what branch should I download (1.1.2 or 1.1.3?) and 2) what changes do I need to make to the build process.

Thank you in advance!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject:

You also may want to take a look at the makefile for OO_CVSROOT. Though aside from OOo's anoncvs (which is usually down) I think there are few of us who have OOo CVS access.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Also of note is that OOo 2.0/680 does not successfully compile on Mac OS X X11. Neo/J assumes that there's a stable OOo foundation that can be used for its basis; without a compiling OOo Mac OS X X11, there can be no Neo/J Sad

ed
fridrich
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Building NeoJ

Boukman wrote:
Patrick, I have found that Ximian does make tarballs of the OOo source (which can be found here), so now I was wondering 1) what branch should I download (1.1.2 or 1.1.3?) and 2) what changes do I need to make to the build process.

Hello Boukman, although I am not Patrick, I can tell you that I am building the Neo/J _ALWAYS_ using the Ximian's =OOO-1.1.2.tar.bz2 package which is actually a packaged cws_srx645_ooo112fix2. Before the build, I unpack the tarball, copy the content of the directory OOO-1.1.2 to the neojava/build directory (one has to create it first), I comment in Patrick's "makefile" the line that does the checkout and everything is going smooth.

It is true that for me the anonymous CVS is hanging every time I try to use it. Ed's and Patrick's idea about using another CVSROOT is good, but I had to use the tarball since the security rules of certain repositories where I have write access prevent me from copying my ssh keys on borrowed computers.

Just for your information: With PowerBook G4 15'', It takes me a bit more than 14 hours to build everything from scratch. Needless to say that during this time, the laptop is doing _ONLY_ the build and nobody uses it for other purposes.

Cheers

Fridrich
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Building incomplete?

Hi all!

Thanks fridrich for your answer, however, it came in just a tad too late! I started building NeoJ with CVS already on Sunday!

I unfortunately have to report that I'm stuck now since the build process didn't complete. It looks like it was pretty far along though. Here's what it looks like on my terminal:

cd "dic" ; sh -e -c 'for i in `curl -L -l "http://ftp.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries" | grep "\.zip<" | grep -v -- "-pack\.zip" | sed "s#<\/[aA]>.*\\$##" | sed "s#^.*>##"` ; do curl -L -O "http://ftp.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/$i" ; done'

Then there's a bunch of transfers completion, with the last transfer failing like this:

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Curr.
Dload Upload Total Current Left Speed
50 1529k 50 773k 0 0 1221 0 0:21:22 0:10:48 0:10:33 1622
curl: (18) transfer closed with 774064 bytes remaining to read
make: *** [build.oo_download_dics] Error 18

So it looks like I'm at the point where the dictionaries are being downloaded from OOo ftp. I'll have a look at the makefile a bit later to try to figure at which point I am and if I can resume the process somehow, but if anyone has good suggestions, I'm willing to hear them!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1