Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Support 10.2. 10.3, 10.4??
Support 10.2. 10.3, 10.4??

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wade1234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Support 10.2. 10.3, 10.4??

I am sure that I will get some heated responses but I will throw this out there anyways. I am just wondering how long you will continue to support 10.2? There reason I ask is that I know both Ed and Patrick have limited resources and it is usually a huge task to continue to support multiple OS version. So I was wondering at what point do you consider dropping 10.2 and then as the move to 10.4 happens with the conversion to Java 5(1.5) will there be a need to also drop 10.3 sometime next year also?

I support what ever you believe is the correct method because you guys know your resources etc.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject:

Patrick and Ed will correct me if I am wrong

But I believe that both of them develop on 10.2, I know Neo/J is built on 10.2. That being said, if I understand the grand Java scheme, as long as Neo/J is made with 1.3, it will work easily under 10.2.

(And if it updates to 1.4 or 1.5, then should work with a Java update... right?)
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Support 10.2. 10.3, 10.4??

wade1234 wrote:
So I was wondering at what point do you consider dropping 10.2 and then as the move to 10.4 happens with the conversion to Java 5(1.5) will there be a need to also drop 10.3 sometime next year also?

I support what ever you believe is the correct method because you guys know your resources etc.

Same here. I did some websearching BTW, and it seems like the Java 5 (codename:Tiger) beta included with the OS X 10.4 (codename:Tiger) preview also runs fine on 10.3 (Panther).

Apparently, the new JVM is quite a bit faster, too. Now, no cheering yet, because that beta apparently has no AWT/Swing...

As for when it gets released, Apple seems to want to bundle Tiger with Tiger. I really hope they put out and update for Panther as well.

Best wishes from the zoo,
Oscar
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Right now the idea is that we're not targeting OS revisions...we're targeting virtual machines. NeoJ is really targeted at the Java 1.3.1 virtual machine. There are minimal underlying OOo dependencies that generate 10.2 dependencies, but those aren't quite as deep as the ties to the 1.3.1 VM. There are a number of tricks that we have to play with its classes and with Carbon Events to get menus working just right, and I know that there are other things Patrick's had to do as well.

So, in a twisted way, keeping support for 10.2 is actually easier in a way then dropping it since supporting 10.2 means staying on 1.3.1. Moving to a newer VM version will require quite some effort. I'm personally unsure if the 1.4 support on 10.2 has enough bug fixes to be usable...Patrick probably has a better handle on that.

What will call our hand with 10.4 is whether or not Apple drops support for the 1.3.1 VM. I do not have access to the seeding program, so I can't verify this myself. But...if 10.4 winds up shipping w/o 1.3.1, we're SOL.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1