Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Hit TAB to indent paragraph margins ... please!
Hit TAB to indent paragraph margins ... please!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewgr
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Hit TAB to indent paragraph margins ... please!

In both NeoOffice and Word, you can change a paragraph's indentation by moving the mouse up to the ruler and dragging the tabs around. However, Word adds a mouse-free technique: you can indent a whole paragraph by hitting TAB when the cursor is planted at the far left of any line except the first. The time savings is huge for anyone who indents a lot -- note-takers, outliners, etc. If this function confuses some people, it should be optional.

This summer I tried the switch from Word to NeoOffice. I really wanted this new relationship to work, I gave it care and patience, but we broke it off after a month. It was this single missing feature that broke my heart. I'd grown ADDICTED to it.

If Neo changes, I'll take her back again.

Sorry if this request breaks etiquette. (Is "Word" a four-letter-word around here?) I'm a non-programmer and new around these parts.

Last edited by andrewgr on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, maybe not with a tab, but you can assign a key combination to the indent button, or set up a style to deal with it..

Anyway, good luck with reviving your previous relationship..

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit TAB to indent paragraph margins ... please!

andrewgr wrote:
If Neo changes, I'll take her back again.

Sorry if this request breaks etiquette. (Is "Word" a four-letter-word around here?) I'm a non-programmer and new around these parts.

No, Word is not a four-letter word here. Microsoft Office is really a high end product on the Mac and, for many people, this extra little features that it has makes it well worth the cost.

Since the NeoOffice project is funded entirely by user donations and, as a result, funding and developer are very limited, we are considering a new approach for choosing new features to devote our limited resources to through a revived New Features Program is in the following topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6312

If we get a lot of posts from other people that are can confirm that this is a feature worth looking at, we can estimate how many votes we will need and can then add it to the New Features Program page when it goes live.

In the meantime, you may want to try ovvldc's recommended approach using the following steps:

1. Select the Tools :: Customize menu
2. In the dialog that appears, click on the Keyboard tab
3. In that tab, select the Writer radio button, select Format in the Category list, Increase Indent in the Function list, and then select a keyboard shortcut in the Shortcut Keys list.
4. Press the OK button and you can now use that keyboard shortcut to increase the indent in any Writer document window.

Patrick
andrewgr
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Patrick, thanks for walking me through the instructions ... that's a FABULOUS fix! I had no idea NeoOffice had that kind of power lying around. I'm taking her back tonight. (I'm using shift-apple-right to increase indent; shift-apple-left to decrease indent.)
lagusaurus
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Tab Stop vs Increase Indent

This solution solves part of my problem in that I can create a keyboard short cut to increase an indent, but what I would really like to do is just to be able to tab to the next tab stop without increasing the indent. I know how to create the tab stops, but can't work out how to tab to them.

An example for clarity purposes: If I want to list my contact details like telephone, email and fax at the bottom of the document then the descriptions should be left aligned but I want the actual numbers to be neatly aligned under each other at a tab stop.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject:

Once you have set up the tab stops you just type whatever text you want, then press the Tab key to jump to the next tab stop. Does this help, or have I misunderstood your question?
lagusaurus
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Tab Stop vs Increase Indent

My apologies, I neglected to add one important bit of information. I'm adding the tab stops into a table. Clicking on the tab button just takes you to the next cell in the table.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Inserting Tab character within table cells

OK, I guessed it might be more complicated than it looked. According to this OpenOffice information it ought to be possible by using Ctrl-Tab, but as you may already have discovered, this doesn't work in NeoOffice. I don't know if this is a bug, or a symptom of some of the challenges in translating OOo to Macintosh. Maybe the OS is trapping the Ctrl-Tab keystroke.

It is not an ideal solution but you could work round this by copying a tab character and pasting it into your table cell. It's a bit klunky, but it would do the job for you.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject:

Usually, on a Mac, Ctrl-based shortcuts use the Cmd key instead. However, Cmd-Tab is already assigned to a Mac OS X shortcut (switch between open applications), which probably explains why it won't work.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Usually, on a Mac, Ctrl-based shortcuts use the Cmd key instead. However, Cmd-Tab is already assigned to a Mac OS X shortcut (switch between open applications), which probably explains why it won't work.

To add to Samwise's point, any shortcuts reserved by Mac OS X will never get delivered to NeoOffice. Instead, shortcuts like Command-Tab will be processed directly by Mac OS X and NeoOffice will not receive any key events.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:

I saw a method for setting tab stops within a table in this previous post in Trinity.

Try the following key combination:
cmd-opt-tab

Let us know if that works for you,
--fran
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Command-opt/alt-tab works

Or, on my keyboard, Command-alt-tab - it works for me. Thanks fran Very Happy
lagusaurus
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject:

Command-alt-tab worked on my keyboard. I thought I tried all those potential combinations but must have missed that one. Thank you. Laughing
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1