Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Where is the support for that shortcut?!
Where is the support for that shortcut?!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fargo
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Where is the support for that shortcut?!

OK, NeoOffice 2.2.5 patch x brings support for Mac OS X Services. That is really good. The most service which I regularly use is Dictionary. It now works with the new feature Very Happy BUT! I cannot access it using the normal OS-wide keyboard shortcut, which is Cmd-Ctrl-D. Please add support for this short-cut (or any other). It might be difficult to show that minimal Apple's pop-up window in NeoOffice, but you still can add a shortcut to open Dictionary application and send the highlighted word to it.

Thank you.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the support for that shortcut?!

The Dictionary pop-up (or lookup, depending on the preference setting in Dictionary) via hovering and Cmd-Ctrl-D is something different altogether from Mac OS X Services (and the "Look Up in Dictionary" service specifically). The feature requires a hefty dose of support for the Apple Accessibility APIs, which I don't think the Core OpenOffice.org code supports at all….

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:

I searched through the Apple developer documentation to see if there is an programmatic API that we can use to implement this feature and, unfortunately, there is none.

Apparently Apple has buried this functionality inside of their NSTextView control. Like we found in bug 1199, this feature is only available if you program your application to use an NSTextView object to handle all text input and display.

Why Apple buried this functionality is beyond me, but until they make it invocable by public APIs, it will not be feasible for NeoOffice to implement this functionality.

The problem is that NSTextView is basically an embeddable version of the TextEdit application so using an NSTextView would basically mean replacing most of the existing Mac OS X code with TextEdit. In other words, the only way to get this feature is to turn NeoOffice into TextEdit. This is why applications that are not built around TextEdit like Firefox, Terminal, and NeoOffice can never implement this functionality.

Sorry for the bad news.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1