Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - The Quick and Dirty Guide to Outlining in NeoOffice
The Quick and Dirty Guide to Outlining in NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythusmage
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: The Quick and Dirty Guide to Outlining in NeoOffice

I.Click on Format and then on Bullets and Numbering.
II.When the window opens click on Outline and then on the numbering scheme you prefer.
--A.The closest NeoOffice comes to the traditional outline numbering format is the first one on the second row, and that is missing a few options.
----i.This example of outlining in NeoOffice is a good example of this
------a)What this means is that this does not qualify as proper outlining in a number of circles.
----------•OpenOffice needs to remedy this.
------------•Adding a proper outlining tool is one way.*
III.And that's how you outline in NeoOffice.

* A good start would be to add an Outline command under the Insert menu. An outline floating toolbar would then open, with a drop down menu for numbering etc. and a button for quitting outlining along with the arrows for raising and lowering level and moving lines up and down the outline.

If you have a Mac you could try out Omni Outliner From Omni Group to see how a real outliner does the job. Wink
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the very clear feature request description. As you noticed, OpenOffice.org has the same behavior as we include OpenOffice.org's application features without modification.

Unfortunately, our limited developer resources and funding limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope.

You can file a bug in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers and if they include your requested feature in OpenOffice.org, the new behavior will get included in a future release of NeoOffice:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Note : our advice is to not mention NeoOffice as mentioning NeoOffice might cause OOo volunteers to preemptively close it without actually reviewing your bug.

Patrick
mythusmage
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Feel free to add the outlining guidelines I provided to the wiki.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject:

FYI. It looks like narf has put your steps in the NeoWiki:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6304

If you are interested in having edit access to the NeoWiki, let me know by sending a Private Message to me with your e-mail address and your preferred NeoWiki user anem and we can setup an account for you.

Patrick
wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Back when I did a lot of writing long documents every day, I used Microsoft Word, and the #1 most important feature to me was the Outline feature. I wrote everything in Outline view so I could drag and drop paragraphs and headings around to change their order at will, and this is how I developed the structure of long, complex tech documents--sections, chapters, chapter subheadings, and on down.

Whenever I have to write a document of this type, I must go back to Microsoft Word, as there is no good alternative. I do use stand-alone outliners like Opal for to-do lists, grocery lists, prioritizing tasks and the like, but they don't have nearly enough features to format a long document and at that point it becomes more efficient to do the whole process in Microsoft Word.

I have been writing to the Oo.o guys for years asking for them to clone Microsoft Word's Outline capabilities. But apparently, while this is a feature that I relied on very heavily, most users don't use Outline mode at all! At the very least, none of the Oo.o developers use an outliner in document production, nor do they realize its value and importance.

So the lack of an Outline system in Oo.o, and by extension NeoOffice, is the reason I cannot completely dispense with Microsoft Word. I have to keep it around for occasional use.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Might there be a feature in the Navigator that can do some of what you need?

best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1