Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - This is a great program??
This is a great program??

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mriv
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: This is a great program??

Just got a Macbook Pro. I am used to Word. I would like to a. print an envelope, and b. save "January 20, 2009" as the default format for dates. Not asking that much, really. Could it be any more difficult than what has been created here? A better question is WHY would anyone design a program like this, on purpose? I guess you get what you pay for. OK, so you can tell I am frustrated, but only after an hour of trying to get these two things to work, so some might say I am entitled.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Moving to the Ranting forum since it appears that's what this is.

mriv wrote:
A better question is WHY would anyone design a program like this, on purpose?

To answer your question, the application was designed by Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers.

As our web site states, NeoOffice is merely a Mac OS X native version of OpenOffice.org.

--fran
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a great program??

mriv wrote:
I would like to a. print an envelope

Using an office package to print addresses just isn't efficient. (Yes, I know many people are locked into that.)

A better solution would just be a label printer.

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Categories/LabelWriter_Printers.html
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a great program??

mriv wrote:
a. print an envelope

did you try "insert -> envelope"? I would suggest using the 'new doc' option. Admittedly i have never tried this, but start there.

or if you did, what was the issue?

mriv wrote:
b. save "January 20, 2009" as the default format for dates.

from here: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=888

it doesn't look like the default date can be changed, but it should be fairly simple to choose what you want.

also, moved back to support.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a great program??

jakeOSX wrote:
also, moved back to support.

This was never in the support forum. It was pretty much a blatant rant and not terribly civil so I understand why narf moved it to the ranting forum. Sure, there may be a question buried in there, but I don't think it is too much to ask users to be civil.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject:

i apologize. moved back to ranting.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i apologize. moved back to ranting.

No worries. I appreciate the links that you posted. As we all know, envelope and label printing in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is not the most hassle-free feature. Wink

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a great program??

MacRat wrote:
mriv wrote:
I would like to a. print an envelope

Using an office package to print addresses just isn't efficient. (Yes, I know many people are locked into that.)

A better solution would just be a label printer.

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Categories/LabelWriter_Printers.html

Or just use Address Book. (I do believe MacRat pointed this out once before somewhere around here.)

Smokey

Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a great program??

sardisson wrote:

Or just use Address Book. (I do believe MacRat pointed this out once before somewhere around here.)

http://www.techtalkpoint.com/articles/printing-labels-mailing-list-envelopes-in-mac-osx-with-address-book/
wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Avery Design Pro

1) The Avery label company has free software for the Mac for formatting and printing all kinds of labels. And it has database capability.

Avery Design Pro

2) Why not just buy Microsoft Office 2008 for Macintosh. The home version is $125 and often available on sale. You can download a limited free trial from Microsoft.

3) Why not try Apple iWork '09, with the Pages program? Again, free trial download available. It costs $80 if you decide you like it.

LJ-Bettona
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
) The Avery label company has free software for the Mac for formatting and printing all kinds of labels. And it has database capability.

Avery Design Pro

Thanks, Wheat, didn't know about that one. Am downloading as we speak. Printing labels and business cards has always been a bit of a nightmare even with Pages, Word (when I had it), Printshop and who knows what else!

Am looking forward to trying it.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1