Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can I move/copy cell range with insertion mode in Calc?
Can I move/copy cell range with insertion mode in Calc?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neoteric
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Can I move/copy cell range with insertion mode in Calc?

In OO3 on Windows, there is a feature that lets me move or copy a range of cells in either "overwrite" or "insertion" mode. This feature is nicely illustrated here:

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/03/drag-drop-move-copy-link-cells-calc.html

I can't seem to find the "insertion" mode equivalent features in OO3 or NO3 on the Mac, with any combination of modifier keys. Does anyone know if it is implemented? Here are the keystrokes I have been able to find:

OpenOffice 3 on Windows:
Move/Overwrite: drag & drop
Move/Insert: alt drag & drop
Copy/Overwrite: ctrl drag & drop
Copy/Insert: ctrl alt drag & drop

OpenOffice 3 on Mac:
Move/Overwrite: cmd drag & drop
Move/Insert: ???
Copy/Overwrite: drag & drop
Copy/Insert: option drag & drop

NeoOffice 3 on Mac:
Move/Overwrite: drag & drop
Move/Insert: ???
Copy/Overwrite: cmd drag & drop
Copy/Insert: ???

Does anyone know if the "???" operations are supported somehow?

I am also puzzled why the modifier keys are different on all three platforms. Does anyone know how to re-assign modifier keys for drag & drop operations?
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can I move/copy cell range with insertion mode in Calc?

I am moving this forum topic to Early Access Program Support forum since it deals with NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access.

neoteric wrote:

I am also puzzled why the modifier keys are different on all three platforms.

The difference between Windows and Mac goes down to the system level. The developers at Microsoft chose to map different key combinations for each drag and drop action than the what developers at Apple chose to map to. I do not know if you can remap the Mac OS X drag and drop actions to the default Windows actions.

Unfortunately because of this, Mac OS X does not send any Move/Insert (also known as Cut/Insert) events to either NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access or OpenOffice.org 3.0.

However, NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access should support the same drag and drop actions that OpenOffice.org 3.0 that handles. Since the Copy/Insert event is present in OpenOffice.org 3.0 but not NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access, I have filed Bug 3384 in Bugzilla to request the addition of that event. You can add your self to the cc: list in the bug to track its progress. If a test patch is made available it will be posted there.

--fran
yakusha
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can I move/copy cell range with insertion mode in Calc?

narf wrote:
neoteric wrote:

I am also puzzled why the modifier keys are different on all three platforms.

The difference between Windows and Mac goes down to the system level. The developers at Microsoft chose to map different key combinations for each drag and drop action than the what developers at Apple chose to map to. I do not know if you can remap the Mac OS X drag and drop actions to the default Windows actions.
--fran

The Ctrl-button in a Windows shortcut usually translates to the Apple-button, the one with the little Apple-logo on it. I'm using this little mnemonic trick for years now and it rarely fails.

In System Preferences you have a tab called Keyboard and Mouse , open it and you'll see a plane where you can (de)activate and modify certain keyboard shortcut. I don't know if it can do what you want but you may take a look at it.

greetz,

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I move/copy cell range with insertion mode in Calc?

Good news! While I was fixing bug 3384, I also found out why Move/Insert was not working in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access.

Surprisingly, narf's theory (which was really a theory that I convinced narf was true) was not the cause. I still have no idea why OpenOffice.org 3.0's Move/Insert is broken, but I have just posted a test patch in bug 3384 that fixes the missing Move/Insert and Copy/Insert drag actions.

With the test patch, NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access will now do what the action in the following list. Note that this is the same as OpenOffice.org 3.0 on Windows except that in NeoOffice you use the Command key in place of the Control key:

Move/Overwrite: Drag
Move/Insert: Alt-drag
Copy/Overwrite: Command-drag
Copy/Insert: Command-Alt-drag

Patrick
neoteric
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject:

Patch works fine for me. On Intel 10.5.6 with Test 1. Thank you!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject:

FYI. NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 0 has been released with the fix for this bug. Download links to the patch and full installer are in this post.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum