Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Home/End shortcut keys in Calc don't work
Home/End shortcut keys in Calc don't work

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Home/End shortcut keys in Calc don't work

Contrary to what the Help says, the Home and End keys in Calc
do not move to the first and last cell of the current row (respectively). They do work in NeoOffice Calc 2.2.5.

Berend

Mac OS X 10.5.6 intel

(Ctrl+Home seems to move to the first cell of the current row and Ctrl+End seems to move to the first cell to the right of the last cell in a row. Not mentioned in Help).
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:

The Home and End keys work as expected in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 0 which I am running.

Can you please check the version of NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access you are running by selecting the menu Help :: About NeoOffice when NeoOffice is running? It should state NeoOffice Early Access 2 Patch 0.

If you do not have the latest patch, please upgrade by installing Patch 0 from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

Do the Home and End keys behave as expected with NeoOffice Early Access 2 Patch 0? If no, what action do they perform?

--fran
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I am running NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 0.

The Home and End keys do nothing.

I do have a Cocoa DefaultKeyBinding.dict which maps Home to MoveToBeginningofLine: and End to MoveToEndOfLine:.

This has not interfered with the standard operation of the Home and Keys in NeoOffice 2.2.5.

I will now check to see if this has any effect on the working of the home and end keys.

Berend
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Disabling the remapping of the Home and End keys in the Cocoa textsystem to "gotostartofline" and "gotoendofline"
does have an effect in Calc NeoOffice 3.0

The Home and End keys now work as expected.
But Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End work the same.

This is a change of behaviour since NeoOffice 2.2.5.
Which is a great pity, as far as I am concerned.

Berend
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject:

HendrikPon wrote:
Disabling the remapping of the Home and End keys in the Cocoa textsystem to "gotostartofline" and "gotoendofline"
does have an effect in Calc NeoOffice 3.0

The Home and End keys now work as expected.
But Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End work the same.

This is a change of behaviour since NeoOffice 2.2.5.
Which is a great pity, as far as I am concerned.

Berend

This is a new feature in OpenOffice.org 3.0 that NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access inherited: support for Cocoa key bindings.

So, in both NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access and OpenOffice.org 3.0 any Cocoa key bindings that have defined will override the default application key bindings.

I do not understand why it would be a pity. The expected bahavior when you defining custom Cocoa key bindings is for all Mac OS X applications to respond to your customizations.

Patrick
HendrikPon
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I do not understand why it would be a pity. The expected bahavior when you defining custom Cocoa key bindings is for all Mac OS X applications to respond to your customizations.

It's a pity that Home and End no longer work in a spreadsheet in the way I am used to. They do nothing.

So the Cocoa commands MoveToBeginningOfLine: and MoveToEndOfLine: apparently have no meaning in a spreadsheet.

I don't want to change my current bindings; I am simply too used to Home and End moving to the start/end of a line. Habit.

So now I am stuck.

Berend
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject:

[quote="HendrikPon"]
Quote:

I don't want to change my current bindings; I am simply too used to Home and End moving to the start/end of a line. Habit.

So now I am stuck.

There are a lot of requested new features implemented in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2's underlying OpenOffice.org code.

If you prefer the features in NeoOffice 2.2.5 it is probably best for you to continue using it. We do not have plans to discontinue support for NeoOffice 2.2.5.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
There are a lot of requested new features implemented in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2's underlying OpenOffice.org code.

This point cannot be emphasized enough: Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers made a massive number of changes in OpenOffice.org 3.0 so NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access is not NeoOffice 2.2.5 plus one or two new features from OpenOffice.org. You may like some of the changes and you may hate some of the changes I can guarantee that for every change in OpenOffice.org that a some people hate, there is a large group of people who have been desperately waiting for that change.

This is one of the big downsides of free, open source software: you get what the majority of voices demand. In essence, each new feature is like a governmental election: some people like who gets elected and many other people do not. Sad

narf wrote:
If you prefer the features in NeoOffice 2.2.5 it is probably best for you to continue using it. We do not have plans to discontinue support for NeoOffice 2.2.5.

I want to confirm that this is true: not only will we keep NeoOffice 2.2.5 (and NeoOffice 2.2.6 when Mac OS X 10.6 comes out) but we are also thinking of naming the NeoOffice 3.0 free release something like NeoOffice 3.0 Beta to give users a hint of the magnitude of changes that are in the new release.

To be honest, we chose to work on NeoOffice 3.0 with great relunctance. Given our limited funding, just staying at NeoOffice 2.2.5 would have been much easier for us. However, because of the many changes in OpenOffice.org, some files saved in OpenOffice.org 3.0 are no longer readable by NeoOffice 2.2.5 and many extensions compiled for OpenOffice 3.0 can no longer be loaded by NeoOffice 2.2.5.

Because of these changes, we really had no choice but to start working on a NeoOffice 3.0 release. It is the same when Apple makes changes in Mac OS X: we must adapt our code to their changes.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum