Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Fixing "Activating Dictionaries and Configuring Spellch
Fixing "Activating Dictionaries and Configuring Spellch

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Samwise wrote:
It appears, however, that the spellchecker will indeed use the English dictionary when the document does not have any language set.

No, it should use the matching language for your Language/Locale.

Yes, and that would be English Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:
(I did notice that OOo 3 has managed to completely suppress the rectangular border in that window, but who knows what kind of hack they have installed to do that?)

Huh? I opened OpenOffice.org 3.0 before I posted. It clearly has the same rectangle as NeoOffice. The only difference is that the OpenOffice.org 3.0 background is lighter so maybe your system color scheme makes it hard to see.

BTW, are you going to reclose the bug?

You're right, I do see it when I stare; it was hard to see. I was on my way out the door before; I see Fran has already re-closed the bug.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Samwise wrote:
It appears, however, that the spellchecker will indeed use the English dictionary when the document does not have any language set.

No, it should use the matching language for your Language/Locale.

Yes, and that would be English Wink

OK Smile

I have no idea why your pop-up menu is blank and the titlebar says Unknown, though. Confused

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject:

I've been reading the wiki pages and some of the linked threads and there is one issue which I think exists and should be documented (or resolved in some other way). If I use the native spell checking in Safari, say, or Mail and 'learn' a word it appears in a file ~/Library/Spelling/en-GB - and the first word I add creates that file if it is not already there on my system. Words entered in this way become available for all other apps I use that use OSX spell checking.

On the other hand, if I do the same in NeoOffice it adds it (by default) to ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0[or 2.2]/user/wordbook/standard.dic

Although this learnt spelling continues to be available for NO it is not available system-wide.

I am assuming that it is non-trivial to get NO to add new spellings to ~/Library/Spelling/en-GB (or equivalent for other languages) in which case there ought to be some note in of this limitation in connection with the information that NO uses OSX spell checking.

In the meantime, a quick and dirty way of adding the NO learnt words to the OSX user dictionary would be to open the standard.dic file in TextEdit or TextWrangler and to spell check them there and add them to the OSX user dictionary that way. (Obviously you should not choose to save any accidental changes you might make to the standard.dic file.)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I have no idea why your pop-up menu is blank and the titlebar says Unknown, though. Confused

Me neither, but I will investigate (try fresh prefs, another user account, etc.).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
On the other hand, if I do the same in NeoOffice it adds it (by default) to ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0[or 2.2]/user/wordbook/standard.dic

Although this learnt spelling continues to be available for NO it is not available system-wide.

I am assuming that it is non-trivial to get NO to add new spellings to ~/Library/Spelling/en-GB (or equivalent for other languages) in which case there ought to be some note in of this limitation in connection with the information that NO uses OSX spell checking.

This is a good point to add. Back when we implemented the native spellchecker support, I had tried to "wire up" the standard.dic to the native Learn and Forget functions but I was not successful.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
If I use the native spell checking in Safari, say, or Mail and 'learn' a word it appears in a file ~/Library/Spelling/en-GB - and the first word I add creates that file if it is not already there on my system. Words entered in this way become available for all other apps I use that use OSX spell checking.

Yeah, I had made a note to investigate this at the end of Exporting the Word List from a User Dictionary.

Is the best way to address this to note the limitation ("learning uses standard.dic") in a paragraph or sentence in Using Spellcheck in NeoOffice and then link to Exporting the Word List from a User Dictionary for various work-arounds?

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject:

That seems a good way forward to me. The stuff about how to get your NO user dictionary into the OSX user dictionary doesn't need to be in the main spell check information and would only tend to confuse if place there IMHO.

Under Exporting the Word List... A heading like "How can I get my NeoOffice user spellings into the OSx spelling checker?" and the work around(s) would probably suffice.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject:

OK. After deleting my NeoOffice-2.2 and NeoOffice-3.0 folders, I still get the same results:

NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 0 Test 5

NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 6

I should also add that, as far as I can remember, I always got that behavior, since at least 2.2.1, under Panther (PPC), Tiger (PPC) and Leopard (Intel).

I always thought this was the expected behavior, but the last comments in this thread make me think it isn't?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject:

What exactly are your settings in International prefPane, both the topmost language and the locale (in the Formats tab)?

And what does "defaults read -g AppleLanguages" return?

(And yes, I haven't got to fixing the article to talk about learning words yet; every time I sit down to do it, I get interrupted Sad )

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject:

and

Code:
$ defaults read -g AppleLanguages
(
    en,
    fr,
    ja,
    de,
    es,
    it,
    pt,
    "pt-PT",
    nl,
    sv,
    nb,
    da,
    fi,
    ru,
    pl,
    "zh-Hans",
    "zh-Hant",
    ko
)
$
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Code:
$ defaults read -g AppleLanguages
(
    en,

Hm, I wonder if that's because it's "en"/"English" whereas mine is "en-US"/"U.S. English" ? I don't have time to test that theory right now; I'll try tomorrow.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
That seems a good way forward to me. The stuff about how to get your NO user dictionary into the OSX user dictionary doesn't need to be in the main spell check information and would only tend to confuse if place there IMHO.

Under Exporting the Word List... A heading like "How can I get my NeoOffice user spellings into the OSx spelling checker?" and the work around(s) would probably suffice.

I've now added a paragraph to Using Spellcheck about the user dictionaries, and added a section to Exporting the Word List about methods of transferring those words to the Mac OS X user dictionary.

(Note: yes, there are links in the paragraph; unfortunately, we lost the old link-visibility fixes in the upgrade, too, as mentioned in the upgrade thread.)

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I've added an article about installing shared extensions (e.g., dictionaries for all users) here and linked to it from the Adding Dictionaries article.

I think that should complete the remodeling of the spellcheck article(s).

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2