Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Adding support for exporting documents to Wordperfect format
Adding support for exporting documents to Wordperfect format

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRP
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Adding support for exporting documents to Wordperfect format

Neo is great, it opens WordPerfect documents but does not allow one to save in that format.

Many of us in the legal community have had it with windows and are switching to the MAC. Therefore many of us have to use boot camp and install
Windows to run Wordpefect. Of buy VM Vusion or Parrells.

Thanks for the consideration
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I have bad news, NeoOffice relies on another open source project to create the WordPerfect file converter module. That other open source project is the libwpd project. If they were to develop an export feature for NeoOffice we would incorporate it in a future version of NeoOffice. To date they have only been able to implement the ability to import WordPerfect files.

Unfortunately, our very limited funding and developer resources limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and adding new functionality to the libwpd project's code is outside that scope.

Although it does not help you now, if the libwpd project adds support for exporting WordPerfect files we will include it in a future version of NeoOffice.

--fran
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject:

In the meantime, you might want to upgrade to WordPerfect X4:
Quote:
New! Open Document Format (ODF)
Open and edit ODF word-processing files, the ISO-standard for storing and archiving documents.

Edit: sorry, I realise this misses the point of your original post, I was just surprised that WP was still being developed, and pleased that they now support odf. That doesn't help the community of WP users who want to use macs, unless their fellow WP users have the latest version, in which case you can exchange odf docs. But I realise that's not a complete solution for the lack of WP export.
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding support for exporting documents to Wordperfect fo

MRP wrote:
Many of us in the legal community

One would think that the legal community would be leading the way putting their documents in an open format like ODF instead of locking their files in a tax to any company.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
In the meantime, you might want to upgrade to WordPerfect X4:
Quote:
New! Open Document Format (ODF)
Open and edit ODF word-processing files, the ISO-standard for storing and archiving documents.

Edit: sorry, I realise this misses the point of your original post, I was just surprised that WP was still being developed, and pleased that they now support odf. That doesn't help the community of WP users who want to use macs, unless their fellow WP users have the latest version, in which case you can exchange odf docs. But I realise that's not a complete solution for the lack of WP export.

I am not sure that is the problem that MRP is trying to solve. I suspect that his colleagues and/or clients use the WordPerfect file format and MRP is one of the few Mac users that need to comply with this standard.

Since WordPerfect only runs on Windows, using either an old or new version of WordPerfect is going to require MRP to buy a Windows license and the run Windows on their Mac. At this point in time, there is no WordPerfect for Mac.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Since WordPerfect only runs on Windows, using either an old or new version of WordPerfect is going to require MRP to buy a Windows license and the run Windows on their Mac. At this point in time, there is no WordPerfect for Mac.

In the mean time, MRP could try to run WP for Windows through CrossOver Mac. YMMV, but they do support versions of MS Office, so many of facilities needed for WP will be in place..

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
In the mean time, MRP could try to run WP for Windows through CrossOver Mac. YMMV, but they do support versions of MS Office, so many of facilities needed for WP will be in place..

Good point. Also, there is one other possible option: save in Rich Text Format (RTF). If your documents do not contain any images, RTF is a format that most every word processing program can read and, IIRC, WordPerfect can read RTF files as well.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Or (and this was the point I was trying to make), a mac user could do all their word processing in NeoOffice if their WordPerfect using colleagues had the latest version of WP, because either way, they could read each other's docs (even if they don't save in exactly the same file format, which they could).

I realise this means potential for formatting glitches, which is why I said it's not ideal. Maybe Corel have noticed the ever-increasing mac user base, and are secretly developing a mac version even as we 'speak' Smile - they'd sell a lot of copies, i think.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
they'd sell a lot of copies, i think.

Only if it was very similar to WordPerfect for Macintosh (or if lots of lawyers ditched Windows) Wink

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject:

For sure - lawyers are probably the only large group who could all afford macs Smile - seriously, my first 14 years of computing I used WordPerfect, since v3.1 for DOS (well, actually the first 6 months I used WordStar 3 - remember how ^KY = 'Clear entry'? gotta love stoned devs) and I still think it's the best thought-out word processor I ever used. I was very fortunate that by the time I really started using macs, NeoOffice was already happening, so I was saved any experience of MS Office until 2005. If Corel did bring out a mac version of WP, I'd be very tempted - though the last version I used (prob. v11 for winxx) was bloated worse than MS Office.

It'd be a really smart move on Corel's part if they made WP read/write odf files transparently (I think the new version only reads them, doesn't save to odf).
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I know I'm late to the game, but if you do want WP for Classic, this page is probably a good resource:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

I keep 10.4 so I can run Classic as that old WP 3.5 version has been the only way to still use some of my old specs I wrote 8 years ago with it Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

I keep 10.4 so I can run Classic as that old WP 3.5 version has been the only way to still use some of my old specs I wrote 8 years ago with it Smile

They won't open in Neo? Or there are graphics that get stripped? Aside from graphics, libwpd's support is pretty complete (and there's workable support for embedded graphics in HEAD).

That said, if you (or anyone reading this via Google) ever have to move to 10.5 or and Intel Mac, there are a couple of working MacOS emulator + WP solutions available; Edward Mendelson has his Basilisk-based solution on this other page on his site, and John Rethorst's SheepShaver-based solution is available from the WP-Mac Yahoo Group.

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject:

Wow, the Basilisk version is neat, ready to go straight after downloading. I'm impressed - it's great that people devote time to creating things like this.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1