Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problem with brochure printing
Problem with brochure printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Problem with brochure printing

I can't get it to work. I take a document of 4xA5 pages with the intention of printing it as a brochure on A4 landscape paper and it simply doesn't work. It is fine on 2.2.5 following the steps set out in the wiki, but the steps laid out for 3.0 (which I changed to reflect the moved Print Options dialog) do not work. Can anyone help with this?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like OpenOffice.org 3.0 has some changes in brochure printing. Sad

I will have to play with this functionality to see if I can figure out what steps are now required.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject:

OK, many thanks for that.

I did wonder whether it might be due to relocating the Print Options dialog so that it is called up by OK-ing the Printer Settings dialog, rather than being the very last thing that happens before printing.

My ignorant guess was that maybe the brochure setting (which in 2.2.5 and earlier versions doesn't 'stick' and has to be reset at every printing) was failing to stick through the process of calling up the Print dialog.

This opinion is formed because there seemed to be something about the process which I didn't understand in the earlier versions. I think that in earlier versions it was necessary to set up the paper size for A4 landscape in the Printer Settings... dialog and then choose Format>Page and choose the A5 page size there. I think that if A4 had not been chosen in Printer Settings... then brochure printing would not work. I think that there was something significant about the order in which the steps were taken.

If you don't get there first I will try this out in 2.2.5 in case the information is of any use.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
My ignorant guess was that maybe the brochure setting (which in 2.2.5 and earlier versions doesn't 'stick' and has to be reset at every printing) was failing to stick through the process of calling up the Print dialog.

That wasn't a bad guess. I could not get the NeoWiki brochure printing instructions to work until I changed the order of the dialogs that appear when you select the File :: Printer Settings menu.

I found that the Print Options settings to stick. However, by pressing OK in the native Mac OS X Page Setup dialog, your paper size gets changed and that conflicts the settings set when you selected the File :: Page Preview menu.

So, I reversed the order of the dialogs so that when I select the File :: Printer Settings menu, the Print Options dialog appears first. I enable brochure printing, click the OK button, and the Page Setup dialog appears second. I press Cancel in that dialog so that no changes are made to the page size.

After implementing the above change, brochure printing works again for me. I will post a test patch soon with this fix.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you? Note that you will need to when you select the Printer Settings menu and press OK in the Print Options dialog, you need to press Cancel in the native Mac OS X Page Setup dialog or else the document settings that you set when you selected the File :: Page Preview menu will get mangled:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0_Early_Access_2-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0_Early_Access_2-Patch-0-Test-6-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick, that has fixed it for me (iBook 1.33 GHz 512 MB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11 - i.e. I've not tried the Intel patch). Shall I update the wiki entry straight away (I could put in a note about the test patch), or do you want me to hold on until the test patch gets put out as part of the next patch release?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
Thanks, Patrick, that has fixed it for me (iBook 1.33 GHz 512 MB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11 - i.e. I've not tried the Intel patch). Shall I update the wiki entry straight away (I could put in a note about the test patch), or do you want me to hold on until the test patch gets put out as part of the next patch release?

Go ahead and update the NeoWiki now. I usually put something like "starting with NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 0 Test 6" for cases like these.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject:

OK, I've done that now, and remembered to do it with both A4 Pages instructions and A5 Pages instructions. I'm only just getting the hang of the Summary description part of editing. I think the page is OK for now.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 1. The patch can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum