ship-design

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject:

AC wrote:
The ship logo, I'm sorry to say, looks unprofessional and amateurishly nerdy.. a hobbyist project that shouldn't be taken seriously

Yet another troll comes out of the woodwork claiming insults as advice.

What is your next post going to be? That you offer a service and can sell a new logo?
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject:

AC wrote:
The ship logo, I'm sorry to say, looks unprofessional and amateurishly nerdy

I don't know what planet you're living on, but here on Earth the ship icon looks great.

I have it sitting in my dock alongside Safari, iTunes, Blender, QuickTime, Google Earth, DVD Studio Pro (just to name a few other round icons) and it looks better or at least as good as any of them.
zcor
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Hi everyone. New NeoOffice user here, am immensely happy with the program, congratulations. And thanks!

The icon in all honesty doesn't do the software justice. It's not even a bad drawing, it just doesn't work as an icon. If you're going to stick with it just because it won an "award", you're being a little close-minded there. As NeoOffice becomes more and more widely used, perhaps it would be a good idea to start accepting new ideas. Just saying.

Best regards.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject:

I think there have been perhaps at the most a dozen posts over the last few years from people who don't like the icon, and that's out of hundreds of thousands of downloads of the software (if we're not up to millions now).

This leads me to conclude that the few people who write in saying "Your icon is a bad icon, sirs" are actually saying "I don't like the icon, therefore it's a bad icon".

So I'm writing in to say (again) "I love the icon, therefore it's a good one" Smile. Seriously, I sit it next to the other round stuff in the dock (e.g. Time Machine) and it looks great. In my opinion.

- padmavyuha
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject:

Most importantly, NeoOffice's two developers Patrick and Ed (pluby and OPENSTEP in the forums) are very happy with the icon as it is.

Their opinions on this subject are in this thread (and probably elsewhere as well.)

--fran
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I've never understood the tendency by companies and software programs to completely throw away the years of brand recognition they've built up in their logos by completely redoing them.

For better or for worse (and in my opinion, it's definitely for better), the ship exploring uncharted territory has been the symbol of the NeoOffice "brand" since its inception.

(Also, since it has been our symbol for so long, and so many of us do like it so much, our reactions in this thread probably seem very hostile; consider, for instance, if someone came up to you and said that you should no longer go by your own name because it didn't match that person's perception of who you are.)

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject:

Hi,
my two cent, I've read the history behind it and even apart from that it doesn't look out of place among the other icons the Dock.

greetz,

Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Ditto. I think it looks great in my Dock, where it sits next to Safari's compass icon. It wasn't intentional, but there is a certain thematic continuity there.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2