Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Bug report: Artifacts remain after adjusting tab or margin
Bug report: Artifacts remain after adjusting tab or margin

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Bug report: Artifacts remain after adjusting tab or margin

To reproduce:

-Open any Writer document
-Adjust either the left margin or a tab by dragging them along the ruler at the top.
-As you are dragging, a dotted vertical line will move across the on-screen text, showing you where the margin/tab will be in relation to your text. This is normal (and very helpful) behavior.
-If you pause (while still holding down the mouse button) and then resume dragging, a dotted vertical line will be left at the location of the pause, while a new line follows the dragging
-When the mouse/trackpad button is released to set the margin or tab to a new location, the dotted vertical line (or lines, if you paused while dragging) will remain on the screen until you scroll that section of the text off-screen or some other action forces the screen to redraw.

I did not see this in 2.2.5

Mac OS 10.4.11, PPC

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone who has OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 also see this bug in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or does this bug only occur in NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I can't reproduce this bug in Neo 3 EA with Patch-1 on 10.5.6/Intel.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Interesting. Maybe this is a subtle Java bug?

Lorinda, can you select the Tools :: Options menu, select the NeoOffice :: Java item, and tell us which Java version is selected? Then, can you select the unselected version, click OK, and restart NeoOffice? Does the same problem occur with the other version of Java?

Patrick
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Can't get this to happen.

I cannot reproduce this with Macbook using trackpad and adjusting the left margin. I moved the margin, stopped with pad button down started again several times and all worked. No remains of the line.

Tools - Options - NeoOffice - Java for me gives
Apple Inc. 1.5.0_16
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Interesting. Maybe this is a subtle Java bug?

Or also 10.4 or PPC, though it could ultimately be a "Java on 10.4" or "Java on PPC" bug in either of those cases, anyway.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I was set to use Java 1.5.0_16.

I just changed to Java 1.4.2_18, but I still see the artifacts.

I don't have OOo 3.0.1 to check.

I don't see it as a high priority, as it is primarily cosmetic, but I thought it should be reported.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I was set to use Java 1.5.0_16.

I just changed to Java 1.4.2_18, but I still see the artifacts.

If you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application and then cause the bug to occur in NeoOffice, do any messages appear in the Console application window? If so, can you paste them in this forum topic?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject:

Console shows no messages when I reproduce the bug. I checked under both Java's.
JGoodish
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject:

While I have not noticed the particular artifact issue that the original poster described, I routinely see artifacts in NeoOffice, usually when I have a page full of text and then change text in the middle. NeoOffice will often distort the text that is at or near the bottom of the screen, and I will need to scroll or otherwise force a redraw in order to correct the problem. This problem also existed in 2.2.5.

JKG
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:

JGoodish wrote:
While I have not noticed the particular artifact issue that the original poster described, I routinely see artifacts in NeoOffice, usually when I have a page full of text and then change text in the middle. NeoOffice will often distort the text that is at or near the bottom of the screen, and I will need to scroll or otherwise force a redraw in order to correct the problem. This problem also existed in 2.2.5.

This sounds like it might be a known bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. The bug that I am thinking of is where the OpenOffice.org code only clears the background when drawing text between the fonts standard height (also known as the font's ascent and descent). So, if you are using a font that has characters that extend above or below the font's standard height (Zapfino is such a font), you will see artifacts between lines when you insert or add text. Those artifacts will remain until you scroll to a different page and then scroll back.

Is this what you are seeing or are you seeing a different bug?

Patrick
JGoodish
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This sounds like it might be a known bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. The bug that I am thinking of is where the OpenOffice.org code only clears the background when drawing text between the fonts standard height (also known as the font's ascent and descent). So, if you are using a font that has characters that extend above or below the font's standard height (Zapfino is such a font), you will see artifacts between lines when you insert or add text. Those artifacts will remain until you scroll to a different page and then scroll back.

Patrick,

Could be, but I'm noticing this problem even with fonts such as Helvetica in 10 or 12 point sizes. I can't remember whether I was able to duplicate this problem in OOo 3.x or not, and I no longer have OOo on my machine, but the problem seems to be a fairly frequent (though not necessarily intrusive) experience for me with NeoOffice.

JKG
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum