opening files

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: opening files

noticed something today.

i double clicked two neo/j docs to start the program. came back and the patch page was up on my computer. when i moved chimera out of the way i was presented with an empty document, neither file had opened.

i am downloading patch 8, when i have it i'll try a few patterns before and after installation to see if i can pin down if it is a doc-opening issue, or a patch file page opening issue.

-j

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject:

I can take a look at the code that tries to detect if the patch page should be displayed. I noticed that it was misfiring on my computer as well.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Come to think of it, I might have seen that, too. I was doing something else at the time (lauched Neo/J and then switched back to whatever else while it loaded), so I wasn't paying close attention, but it almost seemed to me that it launched, checked for the patch and opened the patch webpage, quit, and relaunced. I did seem to remember two splash screens on either side of my browser being brought forward, but it could have been seeing the browser interrupted my view of the single, solitary slow march of the blue OOo bar Smile

Can we fake it to test by changing some key in Info.plist or something like that, or is the code more complex?

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject:

OK, here's the sequence of events that I was seeing and others may see...

The check for a patch will occur depending on the timestamp of your Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/.lastpatchcheck file using a curl --time-cond timestamp. While I'm not seeing this now, I am seeing that the patch page is opening multiple times on the day that a new patch is issued. This leads me to think that perhaps curl or the HTTP headers are only issuing a modification date and ignoring the hours and minutes, only obeying the dates.

I'm getting ready to head into AppleEvent madness, but the only way I can think of potentially seeing if the above is the case is to delete the ".lastcheckfile" and start setting the system clock to the day of the last patch release. Since the patch check is actually tied to the modification date of the file on a webserver (namely the modification date of a dimage file at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/latest.dmg) I can't think of any way to test it other then seeing if we can reproduce the past with the system clock.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Note: if something's wrong with the atch check do a search in the setup script for the "checkforpatches" function. That's where you can insert debugging echoes and the like.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject:

i think you may be talking about a different problem...

the problem was that after double clicking a writer file to launch Neo/J, the patch page came up, but the file itself did not open. i haven't had time to play with it, but i don't remember double clicking a file starting Neo/J but not opening the file prior to the patch page showing up...

and i have had issues downloading (stupid dial-up) so i haven't been able to play with it yet... soon.

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject:

Ok, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the patch page. The page hasn't been popping up (new patch not installed though) but double clicking on a file seems to yeild inconsistant results.

on a side note, my 'file' menu disappeared from my writer for a bit (it is back now)...

maybe its just me =)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
double clicking on a file seems to yeild inconsistant results.

I have seen this extremely rarely (maybe one in the entire time I've used 1.1); more often than not (yet still rarely/randomly) I seem to have double-clicks on the app itself end up not launching, but I see this with other apps from time to time, too.

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1