Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - BUG:Err529 when formular refers to cells containing e.g.
BUG:Err529 when formular refers to cells containing e.g.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeHeLa
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: BUG:Err529 when formular refers to cells containing e.g.

Hallo all,

while working with NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 Patch 1, I have a cell with a fomular that adds up the values of several other cells, like =A1+A2+A3.

If in one of the cells the content is not a number (in my case there are cells with "-" or "/"), the result will be err529.

Is this a problem, which I can avoid by altering some preferences?

Since I did not encounter this problem, while working with other versions, I was wondering, whether it is a bug.
Under OpenOffice 3.0.1 this did not seem to be a problem, however the above mentioned version of NeoOffice creates that error.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I see this, too (and not in OOo 3.0.1), so I'd guess it's probably been introduced by ooo-build.

Can someone with an ooo-build build check this and/or file a bug in Bugzilla?

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject:

Hm, so it is a regular newly introduced problem.

I am wondering whether it is worthy to wait for a patch regarding this err529 or I should just proceed with altering my formular, so they dont output this error?

Thanks.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject:

It's really up to you. If the bug is caused by an ooo-build modification, chances are it could get backed out (fixed) when NeoOffice 3.0 is released to non-EA members at the end of this month.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject:

I have moved this original thread on the problem into the Early Access Support forum and locked the duplicate thread.
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject:

Christoph, were you saying in the other thread that this bug does not exist in Neo 3.0 EA before installing Patch 1, or only that you discovered it after Patch 1 was released?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject:

Christoph,

I have created bug 3427 for this problem. Since the bug does not occur in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 and we never modify OpenOffice.org's Calc functionality (that would be way beyond our resources), Smokey's suspicious that this bug is due to a change made by Novell's Go-oo engineers in the Go-oo modifications that are included in NeoOffice is the most likely cause that we will investigate.

Please be patient as this bug may take a week or two to fix as I need to test each of Novell's Go-oo modifications to Calc to find the one that is causing this bug.

If you add yourself to the CC: list in that bug, you will be automatically notified when I have a test patch available for this bug.

Patrick
MeHeLa
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: BugFix intended?

Hallo all,

after looking into this bug and discussions about it, I would like to draw your attention to the following thread:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=71191&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=1209357606f29e63c35673419c412ad0

To me it seems, that there is the opinion that err529 is an intended behaviour to improve compatibility with Excel. Just I am not sure, whether this holds true for the newer version of Excel and a non-numeric in a cell still creates a #VALUE error.

So I am really interested in the perspective of working on this "bug".

Also, since I already altered most formulars in my concerned files, I thought I share this insight I read in other threads:

To avoid the err529, instead of

=A1+B1

=SUM(A1;B1)

works.

Best wishes,
Melanie
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: BugFix intended?

MeHeLa wrote:
To me it seems, that there is the opinion that err529 is an intended behaviour to improve compatibility with Excel. Just I am not sure, whether this holds true for the newer version of Excel and a non-numeric in a cell still creates a #VALUE error.

My plan was to remove this "feature" if I can find which of Novell's Go-oo modification creates this behavior. My thinking is that while it may make NeoOffice more like Excel, OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 does not have this feature and since the feature is confusing, it will cause users a lot less pain and frustration if I find and remove Novell's modification.

Removing one of Novell's Go-oo modifications is not hard, it just takes a lot time to remove a modification, rebuild NeoOffice, and test if I removed the right modification. Given past Novell Go-oo modifications that I have removed, I probably will have a test patch for you to try by the end of next week.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug and I have posted links to a test patch in my last post in bug 3427.

Can anyone install the test patch in that bug and tell us if this bug is fixed for you?

Patrick
MeHeLa
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject:

Hallo!

I have installed the patch and checked in three different files, where the bug created errors before and now they are gone.

For me it works, great, thanks!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum