Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problem Printing Brochures
Problem Printing Brochures

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Problem Printing Brochures

In NO 2.2.5 the following steps were necessary to print a brochure consisting of A5 sheets onto landscape A4 pages:
  • File>Printer Settings
  • In the OS native printer settings dialog select A4 Landscape orientation (if your document is already set up for A5 Portrait this loses that setting, but it is restored by the next step)
  • Format>Page... Select the Page tab and choose A5 pages size Portrait orientation
  • File>Page Preview and then from the Page Preview menu click the Printer icon with the i symbol to bring up the Print Options dialog
  • In the Format area select Landscape
  • File>Print and click OK to print
  • then in the Printer Options dialog ensure that Brochure is checked.

If the first step was omitted then NO would still print the two pages side by side, but on a portrait oriented page.

In NO 3.0 EA2 the order of the steps needs to be different because of the changed location of the Print Settings dialog:
  • File>Printer Settings
  • In the Printer Options dialog select Brochure
  • In the OS native printer settings dialog select A4 landscape orientation (if your document is already set up for A5 Portrait this loses that setting, but it is restored by the next step)
  • Format>Page... Select the Page tab and choose A5 pages size Portrait orientation
  • File>Page Preview and then from the Page Preview menu select the Printer icon with the i symbol to bring up the Print Options dialog
  • In the Format area select Landscape
  • File>Print and click OK to print
This still produces the two A5 pages side by side in reduced size at the top of an A4 portrait sheet. If from the Page Preview view you select Printer Settings and ensure that Brochure is selected and then in the OS native printer settings dialog you then choose A4 landscape printing, this simply screws up the formatting of the document (as one might expect).

I have not, therefore, been able to find a way of printing a brochure made up of A5 pages printed side by side on landscape format A4 sheets.

There was another odd feature which I noticed when going through this process. If I had another document open behind the document I was trying to print, and selected File>Printer Settings... then once I had clicked OK on the Print Options dialog NO 3.0 EA 2 would bring forward the document behind the one I was trying to print and then open the OS native printer settings window attached to that document - not to the one I was trying to print Confused

Can anyone confirm this problem with brochure printing and/or show me a work round? At the moment I am reduced to working on the document in NO 3, and then reopening it in 2.2.5 in order to print.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Problem Printing Brochures

Hello James3359 -

In NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2, what happens if you do not change anything in the Mac OS X Native Page Setup dialog in the second step (just press the Cancel button)?:

James3359 wrote:
  • In the OS native printer settings dialog select A4 landscape orientation (if your document is already set up for A5 Portrait this loses that setting, but it is restored by the next step)...

I am able to print a brochure with two A5 pages on a landscape A4 page using NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 with this modification.

There have been a few test patches released lately for NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2. I am using Test Patch 14. Do you know the test patch level on your machine? (I am not sure whether this will make a difference.)

I also see the issue with a second open document coming forward after selecting the menu File :: Printer Settings. I will file a bug in Bugzilla and report the number back here.

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Problem Printing Brochures

narf wrote:
I also see the issue with a second open document coming forward after selecting the menu File :: Printer Settings. I will file a bug in Bugzilla and report the number back here.

I have submitted Bug 3433 to track this issue. You can add yourself to the cc: list in the bug if you would like to track its progress.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Problem Printing Brochures

narf wrote:

FYI. I think that I have fixed this particular bug and I have posted links to a test patch in my last post in Bug 3433. Can you install the test patch and tell us if this bug is fixed for you?

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject:

I installed Test Patch 15 and it fixes the bug for me.

thanks --fran
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Problem Printing Brochures

narf wrote:
Hello James3359 -

In NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2, what happens if you do not change anything in the Mac OS X Native Page Setup dialog in the second step (just press the Cancel button)?:

James3359 wrote:
  • In the OS native printer settings dialog select A4 landscape orientation (if your document is already set up for A5 Portrait this loses that setting, but it is restored by the next step)...

I am able to print a brochure with two A5 pages on a landscape A4 page using NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2 with this modification.

There have been a few test patches released lately for NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access 2. I am using Test Patch 14. Do you know the test patch level on your machine? (I am not sure whether this will make a difference.)

--fran

Hmm! I was clearly having my own personal kernel panic of the brain here. Embarassed Thanks for this, fran.

Patrick, the patch fixes the second document coming forward for Printer Settings for me too (iBook 1.33 GHz 512 MB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11). Thank you.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem Printing Brochures

James3359 wrote:
Hmm! I was clearly having my own personal kernel panic of the brain here. Embarassed Thanks for this, fran.

These things happen after a long day of brochure creation, or similar activity Smile I am glad that brochure printing is working for you now. Thanks for bringing the issue of the Mac OS X native Print dialog grabbing the most recently opened or created document to our attention.

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum