Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Download URLs for Neo 2.2.x (was Re: 3.0 Feature Comparison)
Download URLs for Neo 2.2.x (was Re: 3.0 Feature Comparison)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.0 Feature Comparison

sardisson wrote:
I've made a quick pass through the 3.0 Feature Comparison to bring it up-to-date for 3.0 and OOo 3.0.1. Please let me know if there's anything missing/incorrect (or update yourself, if you have a wiki account).

Although this is not really related to the feature comparison page, Smokey's post reminded me to tell everyone that I have added a bunch of new pages to our website in order to continue allowing download of NeoOffice 2.2.5. The URL for the NeoOffice 2.2.5 site that I have been using is the following:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/olddownload.php?fragment=download

Also, to be safe, the update check function in NeoOffice 2.2.5 will only check if there are any new NeoOffice 2.2.5 patches and it will ignore the fact that NeoOffice 3.0 is available.

Once we are comfortable that the most jarring user problems that users find are solved, I can change our website's update checking code to notify NeoOffice 2.2.5 that NeoOffice 3.0 is available.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 3.0 Feature Comparison

pluby wrote:
Once we are comfortable that the most jarring user problems that users find are solved, I can change our website's update checking code to notify NeoOffice 2.2.5 that NeoOffice 3.0 is available.

Will 2.2.5 users be able to disable the notification that NeoOffice 3.0 is available while still getting information about any 2.2.5 patches. I'm thinking of those still on OS X 10.3.9.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 3.0 Feature Comparison

James3359 wrote:
Will 2.2.5 users be able to disable the notification that NeoOffice 3.0 is available while still getting information about any 2.2.5 patches. I'm thinking of those still on OS X 10.3.9.

Unfortunately, the only information that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org update checking code sends to our servers is application version ("NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch X"), operating system ("MacOSX"), and chip ("PowerPC" or "Intel"). So, there is no options that can be set in NeoOffice that will allow our servers to detect any special update checking preferences.

While I understand that 10.3.9 users cannot upgrade, the problem is that eventually we need to support one version of NeoOffice. Supporting 2 different versions right now is not something we chose to do. Instead, we are doing it because we do not believe NeoOffice 3.0 nor its underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 is well tested enough to force all users onto yet.

Realistically, once Snow Leopard comes out, NeoOffice 2.2.5 and Panther support will likely get squeezed out.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 3.0 Feature Comparison

pluby wrote:
Unfortunately, the only information that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org update checking code sends to our servers is application version ("NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch X"), operating system ("MacOSX"), and chip ("PowerPC" or "Intel").

That seems incredibly brain-dead and short-sighted on their part, although not at all surprising. You'd think at some point they're also going to discontinue OS support and would not want to make users download and install a version that won't run on their computer Razz Oh, wait, they've already dropped 10.3.9 support, too! Razz

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1