· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - XML support in v3
XML support in v3

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject:

This has been moved (and 'globalised') into the Preferences. Go to Tools::Options::NeoOffice Calc::Calculate and you'll see a dropdown list at the bottom of the dialogue called Formula Syntax, which offers the options of Calc A1/Excel A1/Excel R1C1. I hope that's what you're looking for.

- padmavyuha
Carl
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Calc R1C1 format problem

yoxi:

Your hopes are fulfilled. I re-installed 3.0, went where you said, and set option to "Excel R1C1" (although I don't really get why it's called "Excel," since this was an option for Calc 2.5, too). The good news is that this setting is global, meaning it's persistent so I don't have to keep setting it every time: NeoOffice 1, Excel 0.

Many thanks!

Carl

PS I did search for this several ways, including release notes and Help, but found nothing except one thread that skirted the issue and did not provide your key information.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome - this is more a case of Serendipity 1, Help 0: it just so happens that I spotted this dropdown a few days ago when I was looking for something else in the Calc prefs.

Since I discovered that OpenOffice 3.xx broke the Excel XML import/export that worked so well in v2.xx, I've become hyper-aware of formula formats Smile. Incidentally, I posted a bug over at Issuezilla about that, but there's been no useful response so far to what is, I think, a very significant and unnecessary mess-up of something that was working fine before.

- padmavyuha

*update* I have posted the missing Help reference as a bug at OpenOffice QA - it's still missing in OpenOffice v3.1 builds.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:

Hahahahahahah - hilarious - I posted this bug in QA but inadvertently used the Word NeoOffice when describing the prefs location - and even though it was quite clear that I had confirmed this bug in OpenOffice too, they dumped the bug. I had to go in again and make it unambiguous that this happens in their official build. Sigh...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject:

But, but, I thought they made perfect software! ROFL (and kicking)

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Hahahahahahah - hilarious - I posted this bug in QA but inadvertently used the Word NeoOffice when describing the prefs location - and even though it was quite clear that I had confirmed this bug in OpenOffice too, they dumped the bug. I had to go in again and make it unambiguous that this happens in their official build. Sigh...

It's ironic; I was just today talking with people about problems with OOo politics and why I don't bother reporting bugs there any more (in reference to them shipping the corrupt fonts that cause Gecko-based apps to crash), and lo and behold, if I needed additional proof to show people, yoxi posts his experience with this bug! Razz

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject:

This gets surreal. They reclosed the bug saying it's a NeoOffice issue. I checked my various versions of OpenOffice this morning before replying to that, and - the dropdown that I could swear was there yesterday is no longer there. Embarrassing. I must assume that this is part of the Novell oo-build code.

OpenOffice v3 itself doesn't appear to have the R1C1 option in it any more, which I guess is why Novell have come up with their own implementation. I wonder if this is part of a wider policy decision they've made to exclude R1C1, which is why their XML export/import is messed up too (since the reason why it's not working any more is that it's using ODFF [.a1] bracket schema instead of the R1C1 that Excel requires).

- padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject:

Okay, more embarrassment. The Format::Sheet::Use R1C1 option from OpenOffice v2.xx is from the oo-build code, and is not part of the official OpenOffice build in the first place. I forgot that Carl above was upgrading from NeoOffice v2.xx (which contained the earlier oo-build code).

Meanwhile, the problems I was having with XML docs failing to import/export properly between Excel 04 and NeoOffice v3 have been resolved, presumably in OpenOffice v3.0.1. If ODF 1.2 is used rather than 1.0/1.1 (see Tools::Options::Load/Save::General) then a Table error is thrown up by MS Excel when importing the XML docs, but they still seem to be imported correctly.
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Calc R1C1 format problem

Carl wrote:
and set option to "Excel R1C1" (although I don't really get why it's called "Excel," since this was an option for Calc 2.5, too). The good news is that this setting is global, meaning it's persistent so I don't.

Just for historical curiosity, "in the beginning" R1C1 was Excel's default cell description/reference, and it was/is used behind the scenes for all cell references (formulas, calculations, VBA, etc.), but they used the other convention (A1) to match with Lotus 1-2-3 conventions, when they were fighting head-to-head. Now everyone assumes that the A1 reference system is Excel's standard, but it never has been (under the covers).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2