Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - SLOW!!
SLOW!!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williepitt
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: SLOW!!

I have downloaded NeoOffice twice to my iMac G4 (OS 10.4.11). Both times, it has been so slow I couldn't use it. Glacial is the word. It would come in a poor third in a race with a snail and a tortoise.

In fact, it was so slow that I couldn't make even the first move toward opening a new word processor file. Both times, I trashed NeoOffice in utter disgust.

Is there something I can fix to make it work?
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject:

One place to check is our NeoWiki article on Troubleshotting Tips. But before you make your way through the Performance section in that article I have a question for you.

How much memory do you have in you iMac? You can check this by selecting the Apple menu in the upper left-hand corner and selecting About This Mac.

--fran
williepitt
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: SLOW!!

Memory? 768 MB.
Markk
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: SLOW!!

williepitt wrote:
Memory? 768 MB.

I have an iMac G4 with 768 kB of memory and Neo is ok. Slower than on my Macbook Intel but not any slower than anything else. You could try creating a new user, logging in as that user and installing NeoOffice there. That would let you check whether there is some start up item killing things.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject:

Yes, the memory in your machine should be sufficient.

One possible cause for NeoOffice running slowly is that other applications on your system are hogging the CPU or memory. To test this theory I recommend that you open the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application and see which applications other than NeoOffice are using more than 1% of CPU. Use the Activity Monitor window pick list to change the selection from the default "My Processes" to "All Processes" so you can view all processes running. Click on the CPU column to order the processes from smallest to largest to make it easier to see what is hogging the CPU.

If there are any such applications, does NeoOffice's speed improve when you quit those other CPU-hogging applications?

--fran
netocp-1
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice is slow

I have an iBook G4 with a PowerPC processor and with 1.50 GB of memory, and I can say that NeoOffice 3.0 is a little slow, and in comparison with NeoOffice 2.2.5, 3.0 is slower than 2.2.5. Why does it happen? or Why NeoOffice 3.0 is slower now?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice is slow

netocp-1 wrote:
I have an iBook G4 with a PowerPC processor and with 1.50 GB of memory, and I can say that NeoOffice 3.0 is a little slow, and in comparison with NeoOffice 2.2.5, 3.0 is slower than 2.2.5. Why does it happen? or Why NeoOffice 3.0 is slower now?

Simple: OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 is slower than OpenOffice.org 2.2.1. I was never able to determine what caused OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 to be slower than 2.2.1 (that would be a full time job by itself) but the sad part is that since most of the code in NeoOffice is OpenOffice.org code, NeoOffice will inherit any speed changes that occur in OpenOffice.org.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Patrick also had to spend a considerable amount of time trying to make the changes to the OOo code not make Neo 3 unusably slow on PPC. I gather that he has succeeded, but still at the expense of a performance hit to some degree. (I personally find Neo 3 trememdously faster than Neo 2.2.5 on Intel; I can actually use it for spreadsheets that are a couple of screens in size now.)

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject:

whew, getting married in 2 weeks and have been away from the forum for a bit! I run neo on a 10.5 ibook g4 with 1.2gb RAM and I have found some great settings to tweak. If load times are a problem this wont help you but speed in the program should improve.

go to Neo preferences and under the memory tab make the following changes
Undo
number of steps=30
graphics cache
use for neooffice=128
memory per object=20
cache for inserted objects
number of objects=20

hope that helps Very Happy

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject:

gromOSX wrote:
whew, getting married in 2 weeks and have been away from the forum for a bit!

Congratulations--and thanks for this tip! I think we should consider adding it to the wiki somewhere ("improve responsiveness on older Macs" or something).

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:

gromOSX wrote:

Nice one! Congratulations and best wishes!

-Oz

shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject:

gromOSX wrote:

hope that helps Very Happy

I would think it was the other way around.... being away from the forum after the wedding, but I am an old codger, and can't quite remember what post-wedding days are like. Wink Laughing

sardisson wrote:
gromOSX wrote:

I think we should consider adding it to the wiki somewhere ("improve responsiveness on older Macs" or something).

Smokey

You think it would help to "improve responsiveness on older codgers" too??

Shocked

Very Happy
shades
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject:

gromOSX wrote:
whew, getting married in 2 weeks

Congratulations, and blessings on your wedding (one time event) and especially your marriage (on-going event).

Very Happy
pieggi
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject:

I second the slowness, but I started noticing it today, when I kept open 2 Writer documents for 19 hrs (no graphics, just text and tables). I tried to close one of the two documents, but it's still slow (between the click on the menu and its appearance there is a 5-10 seconds delay). I looked at the memory usage and is 270MB phisical memory, 970MB virtual memory.
Not to say the cpu use of Neo, on average constantly above 70% (that's why I'm posting from my windows machine).
Therefore my guess is that there's some memory leak or the GC in OOo doesn't work well: if I open a document, work on it for an hour or so and close Neo the suite is reasonably fast (considering the processing power I have).

i have a 1.33Ghz G4 with a 1GB of RAM, that is quickly eaten up by Neo and contended by the other apps open (Thunderbird, Adium and Skype).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject:

pieggi wrote:
Therefore my guess is that there's some memory leak or the GC in OOo doesn't work well: if I open a document, work on it for an hour or so and close Neo the suite is reasonably fast (considering the processing power I have).

The amount of CPU usage that you are seeing usually indicates that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is continually relaying out and redrawing your documents.

Do you have any input form controls in your document? I ask because with OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, I have seen several cases where these form controls are continually redrawn.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3