· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Errors when visiting help in non-English language
Errors when visiting help in non-English language

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Errors when visiting help in non-English language

1) Use NeoMobile in a non-English language, e.g. French.
2) Click on Help
3) Observe server spew
4) Try to go somewhere else
5) Sad

Beyond the UI not being localized anywhere, there's server spew where the header and footer should be on the Help page.

If you're using the NeoMobile client, you have to close the palette and open it again in order to escape; in a browser you can just go "Back" and know to avoid "Help" forevermore. Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I have not been able to reproduce this on my machine and I wonder if I am going to a different NeoOffice Mobile server than you are.

Can you try the following steps so we can see which NeoMobile server you are accessing.

1. Launch the /Applications/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, and press the Return key:
Code:
ping neooffice-test.neooffice.org

2. Use Control-C to stop the output after a few lines

3. Paste the output in the Terminal window into this forum topic

thanks --fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce this bug by changing my preferred language to any non-English language in the System Preferences application, restarting Safari, and accessing NeoOffice Mobile in Safari, and clicking on the Help link. It appears that Tim's localization lookup code is failing to use a fallback mechanism if a localization file does not exist.

Also, there is a second related bug: in all of the application pages, the message key is being displayed instead of the localized message for each message key. Like the Help bug, no fallback mechanism appears to be used when there are no localization files for the browser's preferred language.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I have created bugs to track these two issues.

pluby wrote:
I can reproduce this bug by changing my preferred language to any non-English language in the System Preferences application, restarting Safari, and accessing NeoOffice Mobile in Safari, and clicking on the Help link. It appears that Tim's localization lookup code is failing to use a fallback mechanism if a localization file does not exist.

Bug 3478, Help in non-English produces warning messages has been opened to track the above issue.

pluby wrote:
Also, there is a second related bug: in all of the application pages, the message key is being displayed instead of the localized message for each message key. Like the Help bug, no fallback mechanism appears to be used when there are no localization files for the browser's preferred language.

Bug 3479, Non-English browsers show message keys instead of message text has been opened to track the above issue.

When there are status updates to either bug we will post them here.

--fran
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I can reproduce this bug by changing my preferred language to any non-English language in the System Preferences application, restarting Safari, and accessing NeoOffice Mobile in Safari, and clicking on the Help link.

You should also be able to reproduce it in the NeoOffice Mobile palette after performing those same steps and launching NeoOffice; I was really impressed that the server was also able to get the correct language from NeoOffice, too Very Happy

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I was really impressed that the server was also able to get the correct language from NeoOffice, too Very Happy
That was actually what I tested for after getting message keys: switch the NeoOffice language to US-EN. But that didn't impact NeoOffice Mobile, which as I now understand uses Safari as a base.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
sardisson wrote:
I was really impressed that the server was also able to get the correct language from NeoOffice, too Very Happy
That was actually what I tested for after getting message keys: switch the NeoOffice language to US-EN. But that didn't impact NeoOffice Mobile, which as I now understand uses Safari as a base.

Yes. That is correct. We use Apple's embeddable WebKit browser which is basically the core engine for Safari.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject:

Bug 3479, Non-English browsers show message keys instead of message text and bug 3478, Help in non-English produces warning messages have been fixed.

Can you try accessing NeoOffice Mobile Help in a language other than English? Does the UI localization fail back to the default, English and are the header and footer present?

--fran
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:
Can you try accessing NeoOffice Mobile Help in a language other than English? Does the UI localization fail back to the default, English and are the header and footer present?
Not sure what you mean by the footer, but everything seems to work now as it should.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:

Yes and yes. Looks good Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Looks good Smile

Thanks go to TimT for taking care of it quickly.

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Mobile Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1