NeoOffice :: View topic - pdf generation issues
pdf generation issues

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roberts
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A minor quibble, but step 1 and 2 are the same. extendedPDF/OOo/printer generates only one .ps file with the markup (or at least only one that's ever visible to the user...I don't know the specifics of the innards of the macro, but it AFAIK OOo passes "printing" code to the print driver ordinarily; ePDF intercepts it, adds its markup, and then sends it on to the printer).

You may be right, I was conceptualizing the process.

Quote:
honestly think that using AdobePDF as the printer is a bad idea and overcomplicates things and creates lots of problems that aren't otherwise present in the process Unless you were unable to get things working with the dummy printer, I'd use that instead for all the initial steps (it most certainly won't try to grab control like AdobePDF) and only let Adobe (Distiller) get involved for creating the final structured PDF.

Yes, you're right! Making the localhost generic postscript printer, saving as preset that specifies the output as being a .ps file, and then replacing the filename works. This kills several gotchas.

As an aside... there are too many variables here, so I was attributing bad output to the original ps generator. Now I'm not sure what caused the bad output -- fonts?

Unfortunately, the box link gotcha remains -- make sure to disable the checkbox. (If I could figure out how to upload an image, I'd give an example.)

As far as spaces in file names, I've tested this and the script works fine for me even with filenames that have spaces in them. But then, my console reports
Code:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
   LC_ALL = "en",
   LC_CTYPE = "en",
   LANG = "en"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

So, perhaps it's a locale issue. This business of %20 has something to do with unicode, no? (??)

P.S. How to add images to a post? How to quote someone else, instead of just saying "quote"? (I'm new at this)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject:

The %20 isn't really Unicode, but is rather entity encoded URL UTF-8. It's really because Unix utilities, like OOo, are really designed around not having spaces in filenames. In the Unix world spaces are generally avoided because on a command line a space separates arguments, so spaces in filenames have to be escaped.

There are also some problems with %20 and space conversion in Mac OS X core foundation. When constructing file URLs, core foundation will translate spaces into %20. However, when you start going to convert those back into paths using core foundation utilities, the %20s don't always get converted back into spaces properly. There are also other problems with UTF8 filenames in core foundation. A number of these UTF8 bugs are fixed in NeoJ, but the patches were rejected for inclusion in OOo.

So, long story short, when playing around with macros or OOo utilities from other platforms, it's generally a wise move to avoid using spaces in filenames or directory paths (e.g. don't save into a directory that has a space in its name) and also to avoid using non-ASCII characters in filenames and slashes. A lot of tools, especially those coming from a Linux user/developer point of view, will not properly handle them. It's frustrating, though, as old-school Mac users will think nothing of adding any of those characters into filenames since real Mac apps have handled them properly from time immemorial. We just are used to being unable to type colons Smile

(onto the PS, no pun intended)

To add images, first you need to find somewhere that can host your image on a web server. I don't allow upload of images to this server for security reasons (e.g. to prevent someone from uploading a GIF exploit). Once the image is up on a server, you can add in some "bbcode" which is kind of like HTML but not really. The image bbcode is:

Code:

[img]http://url[/img]

You can also do quotes with straight bbcode

Code:

[quote user="foo"]asdfasfd[/quote]

When you're authoring a reply, there's a quick "cheat sheet" for valid bbcode tags at the top, the buttons right beneath the "Subject" text entry field.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject:

Also the Forum FAQ linked up near the search--which is a FAQ on the phpBB sw, not Trinity, whose FAQ (and the OOo FAQ) are on the left--has some BBCode tutorials.

I've never done anything with links, so I really can't comment on that. On the other hand, spaces in filename are working for me and I don't know why. I noticed last night that the current extendedPDF release is Dec 2004 and I've had the version I'm using since early summer, so that might be it....

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject:

OK y'all, I've fleshed out the tutorials for OOo and Neo/J (as things stand now):

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_extendedPDF_with_OpenOffice.org/X11
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_extendedPDF_with_NeoOffice/J

Have a look and see how they read. Have I missed anything?

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2