NeoOffice 3 patch 3 unusable

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
With patch 3, this toolbar has disappeared (and in fact, it is no longer available in the View menu Toolbars menuitem) .

This is expected. In Patch 3, we finally figured out how to detect if you had Media Browser open when you last quit NeoOffice and, if you did, automatically open it when you next launch NeoOffice so we implemented this feature request. This behavior replaced the toolbar as the toolbar was a workaround for our inability to automatically open the Media Browser. The Tools :: Options :: Adds-ons :: Show Media Browser menu is still in Patch 3.

As for the menu slowness, thank you for the Terminal output. I noticed that you have the following two system hacks installed on your system:

~/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports
/Library/InputManagers/RapidoWrite

If disabling Spotlight (see my last post for steps) does not improve menu responsiveness, can you try disabling these two system hacks?

To disable these system hacks, move the above two folders to your Desktop and reboot. You can find the first folder by going to your Home folder in the Finder and navigating into the Library and InputManagers subfolders. You can find the second folder by double-clicking on the main volume icon on your desktop and, in the Finder window that appears, navigating down through the Library and InputManagers subfolders.

After moving the two folders and rebooting, does the menu responsiveness improve?

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
You are right: I don't know how to debug this. But, I will be interested to see what the output of the Terminal commands in my last post are.

Can you also try one more thing? I want to see if Mac OS X's Spotlight service might be causing this. To check if Spotlight is the cause, can you launch the Mac OS X System Preferences application, click on the Spotlight icon, click on the Privacy tab, and then drag all of the volumes on your Desktop into the "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations" box in the Privacy tab.

Does NeoOffice's menu responsiveness improve within a few seconds after doing this?

Patrick

I have done as you suggest, no improvement (but Spotlight refused to add my "OS" Volume, so only my "User" volume was denied indexing)
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

As for the menu slowness, thank you for the Terminal output. I noticed that you have the following two system hacks installed on your system:

~/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports
/Library/InputManagers/RapidoWrite

[...]

After moving the two folders and rebooting, does the menu responsiveness improve?

Patrick

Removed both.
Menu responsiveness seemed ok (I say seemed because the behavior is random).
Put back Smart Crash Reports.
Menu responsiveness seemed ok.
So I thought the culprit was RapidoWrite.
However, trying to work on my resume, I clicked on the Preview button.
Then I discarded the preview (by hitting the "Close Preview" button).
And my menubar was slow again.
Then after some menu manipulations, it responded as expected.

I have joined a sample. Don't know it will help you.

Last edited by fmu on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
I have done as you suggest, no improvement (but Spotlight refused to add my "OS" Volume, so only my "User" volume was denied indexing)

OK. Can you try disabling the two system hacks on your machine and rebooting using the steps in my last post? Is there any improvement after doing that?

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:

OK. Can you try disabling the two system hacks on your machine and rebooting using the steps in my last post? Is there any improvement after doing that?

Patrick

See my previous post
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
...However, trying to work on my resume, I clicked on the Preview button.

So when you press the Page Preview toolbar button, it is like opening a new document for NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. You can see this as the menubar clears to no menus for a moment and then the menus are all added back. So, when you click on the menubar in Page Preview mode, the entire slow OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 menu initailization process occurs again. The same happens when you press the Close Preview button.

I will take a look at the code changes that occurred between Patch 2 and Patch 3 and see if there is anything that might be making this more noticeable in Patch 3, but I think that this same menu initialization bottleneck when switching in and out of Page Preview was also in Patch 2.

One other questions, when copy and paste is slow, is it pasting of images in NeoOffice where most of the slowness occurs?

I ask this because I fixed image pasting bug 3486 in Patch 3 so image pasting is slow, then I let me. Otherwise, if you are only copying or pasting text, then the slowness is probably has the same cause as the other menu update issue as I did not change any text copy and paste code.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:
...However, trying to work on my resume, I clicked on the Preview button.

So when you press the Page Preview toolbar button, it is like opening a new document for NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. You can see this as the menubar clears to no menus for a moment and then the menus are all added back. So, when you click on the menubar in Page Preview mode, the entire slow OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 menu initailization process occurs again. The same happens when you press the Close Preview button.

I will take a look at the code changes that occurred between Patch 2 and Patch 3 and see if there is anything that might be making this more noticeable in Patch 3, but I think that this same menu initialization bottleneck when switching in and out of Page Preview was also in Patch 2.

One other questions, when copy and paste is slow, is it pasting of images in NeoOffice where most of the slowness occurs?

I ask this because I fixed image pasting bug 3486 in Patch 3 so image pasting is slow, then I let me. Otherwise, if you are only copying or pasting text, then the slowness is probably has the same cause as the other menu update issue as I did not change any text copy and paste code.

Patrick

Simple text only.
And for example, 5 minutes ago, I pressed command-B (for bold) and this takes nearly one second for the command to take place!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I took a look at all of the changes that I made in Patch 3 and I should have a test patch for you to try in a few hours. What I found is that I had fixed bug 3467 and then ended up accidentally disabling part of this performance fix when I fixed a crashing bug that could occur while dragging images.

Patrick
MBP
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject:

you guys are going to bash me again unfairly - but screw it - since I had applied the patches even with 3.5 since the 3,0 release I have had issues and also major slowdowns. esp on my powerbook . the macbook pro has also had these issues but not so slow since it is faster.

In all honesty - things have went backwards... and i know you do not like to hear this - but the truth is the truth. I have been a supporter of Neo in another life but this is rather bad news.

sooooo other people have this issues too.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Hey, give Patrick a chance here.
He works miracles, but sometimes it just takes a few days instead of a few hours..

-Oz

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject:

MBP: since this topic is about a possible performance regression in NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 3 from Patch 2, and should remain focused on discussing that specific problem, I answered your post (which is more about Neo3 vs. Neo2) in your other topic.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have found the cause of some of the bottlenecks and. hopefully, I think that I have fixed those without causing the crashing bugs that the bottlenecks fixed. Can you install the applicable test patch from the links below and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0-Patch-3-Test-1-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-11-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0-Patch-3-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-11-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think that I have found the cause of some of the bottlenecks and. hopefully, I think that I have fixed those without causing the crashing bugs that the bottlenecks fixed. Can you install the applicable test patch from the links below and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0-Patch-3-Test-1-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-11-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0-Patch-3-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.5-Patch-11-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick

You are a magician.
Yes this patch has made Patch 3 as fast as Patch 2.
(I have played only 10 minutes, but for example, accessing the menubar after closing the previous window is nominal).

Thanks.

PS: I have a new menu "NeoOffice Mobile" I don't remember having in the previous patch. Is this temporary or part of a future release ?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
PS: I have a new menu "NeoOffice Mobile" I don't remember having in the previous patch. Is this temporary or part of a future release ?

You can find more information about NeoOffice Mobile on our Wiki:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Mobile_Preview
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
fmu wrote:

You can find more information about NeoOffice Mobile on our Wiki:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Mobile_Preview

Thanks
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3