· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - LaTeXit support
LaTeXit support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_42
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: LaTeXit support

It would be great to have support for LaTeXit. At the moment, NeoOffice does not accept the rendered formulas of LaTeXit if I try to drag and drop it e.g. into Impress. This would be a really, really good feature. OOoLatex is not quite as beautiful as LaTeXit, although I use it occassionally.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: LaTeXit support

root_42 wrote:
It would be great to have support for LaTeXit.

Unfortunately, our very limited funding and developer resources limits the current scope of the NeoOffice project to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing any critical crashing and hanging bugs that our users find. Because of these limits, adding new features is outside of that scope.

NeoOffice's only developer, Patrick, has posted the NeoOffice development plans for second half of 2009. This explains what we will able to fund out of our existing limited user donations.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:

Also, I don't have any knowledge or experience with Latex. Never used it so even if I had the time, I am certainly not the person to implement this feature.

If expanded Latex suport is what you want, I would recommend contacting the authors of the existing OpenOffice.org Latex extensions and see what they need (donations, testing, support, etc.) to implement what you want.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:

This would definitely fall under the heading of Openoffice.org enhancements. Basically, you want additional import/export filters.

Best wishes,
Oscar

root_42
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:

None of you seem to have understood what LaTeXit does. It just provides Drag & Drop of LaTeX formatted formulas into applications that do not have LaTeX support. It is basically just drag and drop of an image from one app into another app. No need to add LaTeX support itself into NeoOffice. Just download and try LaTeXit for yourself to see what it does. The problem at the moment is, that NeoOffice does not accept the dragged data from LaTeXit. The data can be of EPS, JPG, TIFF, PNG or PDF format usually. PDF being preferred, since it is vectorized and portable.

Best regards,

Arne
root_42
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Here an example of what LaTeXit in combination with Keynote looks like. Keynote has no LaTeX support whatsoever, so i just fired up LaTeXit, typed in the formula, hit the button "LaTeX it", and dragged and dropped the formula (a PNG image) into Keynote. Bam. Nothing more. Only NeoOffice does not accept the data source or whatever you call the source of a DnD operation. Is this doable with a minimum amount of work?

Regards,

Arne
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I see. I was mistaken about what you wanted. I wonder if this could somehow work with the Media Browser code..

In any case, will copy and paste (perhaps 'paste special') not do the trick? NeoOffice certainly supports PNG, JPG, TIFF and EPS (but not PDF for some vague reason). It will also do EMF if LaTeXit supports that..

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Supporting third-party applications is not something that is currently within the scope of the NeoOffice project. This is no different than other requests for EndNote, MathType, and other third-party applications; it is the responsibility of the third-party application provider to provide integration support, not us.

Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and adding support for third party products, even open source ones, is outside that scope. You should report this issue to the project in question to get it on the radar of their developers.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject:

At least the third-party developers have access to the NeoOffice code, so they can see how things work internally.

Best wishes,
Oscar

root_42
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I see. I was mistaken about what you wanted. I wonder if this could somehow work with the Media Browser code..

In any case, will copy and paste (perhaps 'paste special') not do the trick? NeoOffice certainly supports PNG, JPG, TIFF and EPS (but not PDF for some vague reason). It will also do EMF if LaTeXit supports that..

Paste special works if I choose any of the Bitmap formats, but EPS does not work, neither does PDF. That is at least a workaround that I can live with right now. However, I do not understand why drag and drop is so much different, but then again I have zero knowledge of OS X drag and drop programming. I only know a little bit about the stuff under Linux and KDE. I was assuming that an object that is being dragged carries some sort of MIME type with it, and applications determine by that type if they accept the object or not. But maybe this all works just very different from that...

Regards,

Arne
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject:

EPS does not display, but I dimly recall that Patrick added some support so that it will print.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
EPS does not display, but I dimly recall that Patrick added some support so that it will print.

This isn't exactly true as you insert an EPS file from Insert :: Picture :: From File, NeoOffice will display it.

However, Oscar is correct that drag and drop of EPS images may not work. One possible reasons is that there is no standard system clipboard data flavor for EPS on Mac OS X. So, if your are dragging an EPS image from an application, there will be no EPS data flavor that NeoOffice can see when you drop.

The question is what application are you dragging the EPS image from? Also, if you drag the image into Apple's Preview application, does Preview display it?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

root_42 wrote:
However, I do not understand why drag and drop is so much different, but then again I have zero knowledge of OS X drag and drop programming. I only know a little bit about the stuff under Linux and KDE. I was assuming that an object that is being dragged carries some sort of MIME type with it, and applications determine by that type if they accept the object or not. But maybe this all works just very different from that...

It would be interesting—in an academic sense—to see what flavors Latexit is exporting to the drag pasteboard; it may be that it is not exporting any useful flavors (perhaps only PDF). You can use Pasteboard Inspector to inspect the drag pasteboard.

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
root_42 wrote:
However, I do not understand why drag and drop is so much different, but then again I have zero knowledge of OS X drag and drop programming. I only know a little bit about the stuff under Linux and KDE. I was assuming that an object that is being dragged carries some sort of MIME type with it, and applications determine by that type if they accept the object or not. But maybe this all works just very different from that...

It would be interesting—in an academic sense—to see what flavors Latexit is exporting to the drag pasteboard; it may be that it is not exporting any useful flavors (perhaps only PDF). You can use Pasteboard Inspector to inspect the drag pasteboard.

Smokey

This is the first entry that Pasteboard Inspector shows me:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"
plist version="1.0"
array
   string pdf string
   string eps string
   string tiff string
   string jpeg string
   string png string
/array
/plist

There are more panes to come. LaTeXit was set to PNG, and later there is an entry which says "public.png" and lots of sections which say "This pasteboard type has NSData data". I guess somewhere in there the PNG is encoded.

Regards,

Arne

PS: stupid board does not allow posting XML code in the code environment.
root_42
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject:

Ok, I have attached a PDF of Pasteboard Inspector's output.

HTH,

Arne
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2