Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - JDBC connection to postgresql working
JDBC connection to postgresql working

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: JDBC connection to postgresql working

Hi,

I have been fighting with JDBC on OOo 1.1.2 for quite some time in my moments of "leisure".

I decided to bite the bullet and try Neo and it works. Haven't done any serious queries / mailing labels just yet. Will try later in the day.

Why is JDBC broken in OOo 1.1.2 OS X??

Cheers

Tony
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: JDBC connection to postgresql working

kiwi wrote:
Hi,

I have been fighting with JDBC on OOo 1.1.2 for quite some time in my moments of "leisure".

I decided to bite the bullet and try Neo and it works. Haven't done any serious queries / mailing labels just yet. Will try later in the day.

I know this is for MySQL, but perhaps this page in the wiki can be of help:
http://sixthcrusade.com/neowiki/index.php?page=EnablemySQL

Oscar
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject:

for OOo/X11: you can put it where you want. To let OOo know, you shoud go to "Tools->Options" menu item. Then in the "security" pane, there is a place to add directories to classpath. Click on browse and find your jar file.

This is the method I have always used and it isn't working

Tony
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject:

kiwi wrote:
for OOo/X11: you can put it where you want. [...]
This is the method I have always used and it isn't working

I earlier today updated the wiki with a link to a tutorial I found in the OOo IssueZilla on the Mac-JDBC issue.

From my skimming the doc and limited understanding of the subject (I don't do anything with DB stuff, other than having once generated nametags from a spreadsheet, and copying/pasting the info into the wiki), it tells you to put Connector/J in the OS X java directory and I think OOo finds it.

I guess you had already looked at the wiki before I'd updated it Sad

Smokey
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject:

It isn't the database - that accepts connections from the local machine and on the LAN no problem.
It isn't the postgresql.jar - it works with NeoOffice/J and with Tomcat and with...ad nauseum
There is something wrong with OOo 1.1.2 Mac.

Where are the errors written to please?

I had the connection working with the 1.0x as some of you may remember (it wasn't easy then either). Am I still the only poor soul out here that needs a real datbase and not just MySQL on his Mac?

Anyway to stay on topic I have tested with Neo/J. But I can't install this at my clients beacause:

- slow as molasses
- memory runs out (swap gets filled)
- it quits every now and then (normal it is an alpha)

I am running on B&W 400Mhz G3 with 256 Mb RAM - will test on G4 tomorrow

Cheers

Tony
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: JDBC connection to postgresql working

kiwi wrote:

Because the OOo 1.1.2 had a bug that I fixed in Neo/J. Basically, the OOo releases are called "final" releases even when they haven't really been tested much. Then, when I pull the OOo code into Neo/J and the Neo/J testers start using the code heavily, we find all sorts of bugs in the OOo code and, given enough time, I fix them in Neo/J.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: JDBC connection to postgresql working

pluby wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Because the OOo 1.1.2 had a bug that I fixed in Neo/J. Basically, the OOo releases are called "final" releases even when they haven't really been tested much. Then, when I pull the OOo code into Neo/J and the Neo/J testers start using the code heavily, we find all sorts of bugs in the OOo code and, given enough time, I fix them in Neo/J.

Another nice datapoint to remember when people claim Neo/J is not well-tested and is buggier than OOo (the other day, I stumbled--via google--onto another thread where the usual suspects were spreading their FUD about Neo/J again... Sad made me want to scream).

Smokey
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: JDBC connection to postgresql working

pluby wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Patrick

Can I move your JDBC fix to OOo 1.1.2?

Tony
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject:

In general, only the person who authors the fixes in NeoJ can move them to OOo. This is because of licensing and copyright issues.

Note that the process of moving over fixes to OOo from NeoJ must be done carefully:

1) Check licensing restrictions. Fixes we make to the GPL code are implicitly GPL licensed, which is incompatible with OOo's licensing. Only the original copyright holder(s) of GPL licensed code can agree to re-release it under a different license. OOo requires code to be licensed under both the SISSL and LGPL licenses. Most OOo fixes we try to contribute back, but even if they're relicensed properly that doesn't always mean they get accepted (see below). You can read my SISSL rants elsewhere in the forums Wink

2) Sign the Joint Copyright Agreement with Sun Microsystems (and make sure you own the copyright to the fixes you want to move too). Sun requires that copyright owners cede copyright to Sun as well for anything that gets moved back into OOo. Note that only the original copyright owner of the code can legally grant joint copyright to another entity.

3) Construct a new issue in the issue tracking system and attach a relevant patch.

4) Wait for someone else within OOo to approve the patch from (3).

5) Get someone to commit your patch if you don't have OOo CVS commit access.

6) Make sure your patch actually got committed to all of the branches.

I've submitted patches in the past that solve Mac OS X issues but have been rejected by the OOo team (e.g. blocked at step 4) and patches that have not gotten merged into new branches (sometimes OS X compile support gets dropped all together on branches!). Honestly, I don't even bother submiting patches any longer since the process is so tedious and political, even for dumb single line bug fixes.

There's a reason why NeoJ is GPL and removes the Sun copyright assignment and politics out of the process of fixing bugs...it's much more efficient Very Happy

ed
roberts
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: help with JDBC and postgresql

I keep getting a "The connection to the data source <DataSource Name> could not be established."

I've checked that the postmaster is listening on the local TCP/IP socket. I put the class in the ../contents/classes folder -- still I can't connect. username and password is correct.

Also, which jdbc driver should I use? The one appropriate to NeoOffice's JVM, or the one that uses the default system JVM?

A few steps on *how* you got postgresql working would be great. Then, we can complain about the speed issues Razz
roberts
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: which jdbc driver for postgres?

If I may add to the previous post, the table on the jdbc.postgresql.org website is a bit cryptic. I'm not sure whether apple's built in JVM includes an SDK or if it's just the runtime. In short, I have no idea which driver to download. I'm thinking this may be the problem, as I experience previous errors that said "could not load driver" and then I added the driver to the magic directory and those errors were replaced by "cannot establish connection".
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: help with JDBC and postgresql

roberts wrote:
I've checked that the postmaster is listening on the local TCP/IP socket. I put the class in the ../contents/classes folder -- still I can't connect. username and password is correct.

../contents/classes folder? It should be /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/classes

roberts wrote:
Also, which jdbc driver should I use? The one appropriate to NeoOffice's JVM, or the one that uses the default system JVM?

Neo/J uses Java 1.3.1 so you need to use a JDBC driver that supports that JVM.

Patrick
roberts
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Success (then failure)

The JVM version was the problem. Thanks!

Unfortunately, there are two problems with the JDBC connection:

*It's not possible to create primary keys
*when designing a table, all fields that you create must be exactly 9 (!) characters long -- it doesn't matter if the field is called text, or varchar, or whatever -- it's got to be 9 characters.

While I'm not a database expert, this seems to prevent the use of postgresql with NeoOffice.

Am I doing something wrong, or is JDBC support not yet working properly? I've used other tools that make a jdbc connection to postgresql, such as DB visualizer, and can confirm that the jdbc driver does in fact allow the creation of fields with length other than 9 characters, and that it does let you create primary keys.

Are there any ideas or workarounds?

Thanks,
Robert
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1