NeoOffice :: View topic - Donation problem
Donation problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guydavies
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Donation problem

Hi,

I just tried to donate but my Credit Card provider appears to refuse any requests from PayPal <sigh>. I have had this issue with other software vendors and they have provided an alternative payment provider. How can I donate?

Thanks,

Guy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject:

We can handle checks or money orders that are in U.S. dollars. However, we have found no way to for you to send donations from Europe without it costing both you and us a lot of bank fees (SWIFT international transfers cost US$25 to US$50 to send).

If you can send a check or money order in U.S. dollars, send an e-mail to donationsupport at neooffice dot org and we will send you the U.S. address that you can sedn your check or money order to us.

Patrick
guydavies
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

Unfortunately, I don't have any means of sending a US check that won't also cost me a similar amount to using SWIFT Sad My account is in Euros with a French bank and I suspect they just rejected Paypal because they got lots of issues with purchases using it. Oh, well, if I find an alternative, I'll donate later.

Rgds,

Guy
mata
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: PayPal problems

I've been having a lot of problems with my subscriptions on PayPal. I keep getting emails saying my payment failed I have no backup source for my payments, when I clearly do. In fact, NeoOffice canceled my donation subscription this morning because of this silly problem. I want to continue donations, but I'm leery of using PayPal.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: PayPal problems

mata wrote:
I've been having a lot of problems with my subscriptions on PayPal. I keep getting emails saying my payment failed I have no backup source for my payments, when I clearly do. In fact, NeoOffice canceled my donation subscription this morning because of this silly problem. I want to continue donations, but I'm leery of using PayPal.

NeoOffice did not cancel your donation as neither Fran nor I have cancelled any donations in so far this month. I suspect that after a number of failures, PayPal automatically cancels the donation.

Why PayPal failed to see that you funds, I do not know but I suspect that PayPal attaches your subscription to a specific payment source and if you change a payment source (e.g. your credit card number, etc.), the subscription fails as a safety measure.

Personally, when my money is at stake, I prefer banks and credit card processors to make the transaction fail rather than ignoring the problem and pushing it through. It can be a hassle when my bank calls me but it makes me feel better knowing that they are actually being careful with my money.

Patrick
mata
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: PayPal problems

Actually, I haven't changed any sources, and PayPal gives me a different explanation every time I call. Confused
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject:

guydavies wrote:
Oh, well, if I find an alternative, I'll donate later.
An alternative would be for Patrick to open an intra-EU bank account, preferably in a Eurozone country with low bank costs. That would allow for easy and ultracheap intra-EU bank transfers, even for small amounts. Once a month the consolidated donations can then be transferred across the Atlantic to minimise these costs as well. I think Wikipedia uses this model with a Belgian bank account.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: PayPal problems

mata wrote:
Actually, I haven't changed any sources, and PayPal gives me a different explanation every time I call. Confused

In that case, it probably is a good idea to let the subscription remain cancelled. My experience with PayPal support is the same as the support with most large banks: it is nearly useless. Sad

While I really like the fact that PayPal charges by far the lowest transaction fees on small transactions and does not hold your money for 45 or more days (like Google checkout does), they definitely are no better than any large U.S. bank (at least the ones I have dealt with).

Sadly, handling payment processing ourselves is not feasible. If we were only handling payments in the U.S., then we could run our own credit card processing. However, we depend on donations from nearly a dozen countries and PayPal is the only low fee provider of international payments that I have found.

Patrick
mata
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: PayPal problems

That's really a pain, because I would very much like to continue my support of NeoOffice.

BTW, although I believe that I have made the requisite number of donations, I have not received any information about the Early Access program. I may be incorrect about the amount of the donations; please let me know.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: PayPal problems

mata wrote:
BTW, although I believe that I have made the requisite number of donations, I have not received any information about the Early Access program. I may be incorrect about the amount of the donations; please let me know.

This is normal. You won't ever receive any e-mail from us after the initial donation confirmation e-mail. This is because when we sent out mail for our first Early Access Program a few years ago, the amount of angry mail we got was overwhelming.

So, instead, we post all details about the Early Access Program on this page. We also use this forum topic to announce the any Early Access Program releases when they actually happen.

Patrick
mata
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Early Access Program

How does a user know when s/he qualifies, if you don't notify people?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Early Access Program

mata wrote:
How does a user know when s/he qualifies, if you don't notify people?

You enter your PayPal e-mail when you try to download the NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access release. If you have enough donations, you see download links. If you don't have enough donations, you don't see any links and get a "sorry, you don't have enough donations" message.

You cannot see that page yet because the download is not active yet. But starting on 15 September 2009 the download will be activated.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1