Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - possible problem with new posting guidelines...
possible problem with new posting guidelines...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject:

K-9 wrote:
In a real world sense - why should I or anyone PAY $ to help out? see another perspective?

You just can't let this topic die can you? Since this upsets you so much, I have refunded your donation.

Clearly you want to run this project your own way. Great. However, the old way was killing me and so we are not going back. As I have now said in several posts, you or anyone can setup your own free forum and staff it.

Patrick
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject:

sorry you are having a bad day and are taking this positive criticism so negatively.

oh well...
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject:

K-9, I have to say, you're reminding me of a conversation I heard in a study group once:

"I feel that you're not listening to me!"
"No, I am listening to you, I'm just not agreeing with you."

I think what you're offering would count more as positive criticism if you were including suggestions for means to improve the situation. What Patrick is saying, if I understand correctly, is that the way things have been running up until now is simply not sustainable. Something has to change in order to keep the development of NeoOffice possible.

A thought occurs to me (and I have no idea whether this is implementable in phpBB) - is there any way to set up the forum code so that any person starting a new thread has to have made donations, but anyone replying to it doesn't? This might be a good compromise (if a compromise were needed/viable).
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject:

It is an interesting thought, yoxi, though someone ostensibly replying on a thread could simply post a different request in it. I know that Patrick hasn't got time at the moment to do much tweaking of the phpBB code, but he is attending to suggestions about that kind of thing (see his response to K9's cumulative donations idea earlier on this thread), but they are very much on the back burner for now.

The basic issue (ISTM) is very pragmatic. Free access to the board was generating far more requests than it was extra support, so from Patrick's, Ed's and Fran's POV, the donation requirement is sensible even though it will mean the loss of some of the support which came when posting was free. On balance, however, it still represents an improvement, and an essential increase in engineering time for Patrick.

Patrick has said he would be happy for a free volunteer-run support board to exist, and if there is enough support for that it can get going - but it would be clearly separate from the 'official' project board - and lack of response on such a board, and any criticisms that that might generate would not reflect directly on the official NO project, so Patrick and Fran and Ed would not feel the same compulsion to respond to it.

[Edit to add: Perhaps this thread ought to move to the NeoWiki and Website Development forum.]

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
[Edit to add: Perhaps this thread ought to move to the NeoWiki and Website Development forum.]

Good idea. I have moved the topic.

--fran
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Just to throw in my tuppence:

Though I might not post in the forums regularly, I browse the RSS feed on a daily basis, looking out for interesting morsels of information or something that may relate to me (an icon topic Very Happy) and what I see is the vast majority of support requests resolved by a group of less than 10 people. K-9, whilst your concern is valid in theory, in practice this army of volunteers is pie in the sky.

I have no qualms about paying $25 per year for the privilege of contributing to these forums, whether giving or taking. It strikes me that the few "ordinary users" with enough knowledge and desire to contribute significantly to the support forum, will probably be NeoOffice "Evangelists" (to use that hideous corporate phrase) and probably would stump up $25 per year with a smile.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2