· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - switching windows
switching windows

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: switching windows

When switching in NeoOffice between open documents (windows) using the keyboard shortcut, NeoOffice cycles between the top two documents only rather than all open documents. I'm using 3.0.1 EA on 32-bit intel 10.6.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: switching windows

Gust wrote:
When switching in NeoOffice between open documents (windows) using the keyboard shortcut, NeoOffice cycles between the top two documents only rather than all open documents.

Do you have a floating window open, such as Styles and Formatting? I am able to reproduce this with NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 1 on Mac OS X 10.6.1 when a floating window is open. I cannot reproduce it on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

I have opened bug 3557 for this issue.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce this as well when I have a floating window open but I cannot reproduce it when no floating windows are open so it appears that the floating window is something triggering this bug.

I will investigate this further and post when I have any news to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I have been debugging this bug all evening and I wanted to warn you that I think this might be a tough one to fix. I suspect that Java 1.6 on Snow Leopard is preventing windows from going to the back of the window stack and that is what is causing the problem.

Additionally, I found a hanging bug while debugging your bug that I think is worthwhile spending a day or two debugging and fixing. The hanging occurs when you open several new document windows at the same time on Snow Leopard and then move one of those windows while it is in the process of opening. What is happening is that Java is deadlocking.

I will continue to work on these two bugs. I just wanted to warn you that you may not see a test patch for at least a few days as I suspect that I will need to reverse engineer the Java changes that Apple has made in their Java 1.6 release. Sad

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have been debugging this bug all evening and I wanted to warn you that I think this might be a tough one to fix. I suspect that Java 1.6 on Snow Leopard is preventing windows from going to the back of the window stack and that is what is causing the problem.

Additionally, I found a hanging bug while debugging your bug that I think is worthwhile spending a day or two debugging and fixing. The hanging occurs when you open several new document windows at the same time on Snow Leopard and then move one of those windows while it is in the process of opening. What is happening is that Java is deadlocking.

I will continue to work on these two bugs. I just wanted to warn you that you may not see a test patch for at least a few days as I suspect that I will need to reverse engineer the Java changes that Apple has made in their Java 1.6 release. Sad
This seems a perfectly reasonable approach to me. I consider the bug I've reported as a minor one only, but I thought it would be a good idea to report it anyway.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this Apple Java bug. I hope that there isn't any problems, but I only did very narrow testing and since I had to change some very core window management code, please let us know if my fix causes any new, strange behavior in NeoOffice.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject:

FYI I am downloading these two patches (for PowerPC running 10.4.11) and will report if any problems show up. (This is unlikely to be of much use for 2.2.6 which I only fire up if I am responding to a query about it.)
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject:

Tested this patch on 2.1ghz macbook with 4gb ram on 10.5.8 by opening two .doc files, a .xls file and a .ods file. Neo switched flawlessly between all four using the keyboard shortcut. When the font color palette was opened, it stayed at the forefront while I switched between each window...not sure if this was normal behavior or not. Hope that helps.
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject:

gromOSX wrote:
When the font color palette was opened, it stayed at the forefront while I switched between each window...not sure if this was normal behavior or not. Hope that helps.

Thank you for testing the latest test patch and reporting your results here. It is normal behavior for the floating window to remain in front when switching between documents so the test patch has fixed the bug.

--fran
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix is included in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 2. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

Also, The fix is included in NeoOffice 2.2.6 Early Access Patch 2. You can download that patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

If you are not a member of the NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Program, the fix will be available in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release currently scheduled for 27 October 2009.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The fix has been included in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release. This release can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccessdownload.php?fragment=download

The fix for this bug is also included included in NeoOffice 2.2.6. This release can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccessdownload.php?fragment=download

The above links are for NeoOffice Early Access Program members. Starting on 27 October 2009, all users will be able to download NeoOffice 3.0.1 and NeoOffice 2.2.6 for free.

--fran
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject:

Regressed. Using 3.0.2 patch 0 on 10.6.2 64-bit Intel.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
Regressed. Using 3.0.2 patch 0 on 10.6.2 64-bit Intel.

How did you even install NeoOffice on Mac OS X 10.6.2 64-bit? Since we do not have any machines that can run in 64-bit mode (only the newest Intel machines can do that), the NeoOffice installer will disallow installation on 64-bit machines as we only support machines running in 32-bit.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
How did you even install NeoOffice on Mac OS X 10.6.2 64-bit? Since we do not have any machines that can run in 64-bit mode (only the newest Intel machines can do that), the NeoOffice installer will disallow installation on 64-bit machines as we only support machines running in 32-bit.
Not sure if I understand your point. I guess all Macbooks with core 2 duo are 64-bit, these have been introduced in the second half of 2006. I just installed 10.6 on a new white unibody macbook, and added NeoOffice. Nothing special happened.

That said, the window switching issue resurfaced already on my previous macbook (a genuine 32-bit one) sometimes around the upgrade to 10.6.2, there may be a causal correlation here.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
That said, the window switching issue resurfaced already on my previous macbook (a genuine 32-bit one) sometimes around the upgrade to 10.6.2, there may be a causal correlation here.

Maybe you are not running in 64-bit mode (that requires extra manual steps to do on most Mac machines) but I cannot reproduce this behavior on my Mac OS X 10.6.2 machine. I open 3 Writer windows and press Command-~ to cycle through the windows without a problem.

Can you verify that you are not running NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access? If you select the Help :: About NeoOffice, what does it display for the version and patch?

If it says "NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 0", the next thing to try installing the latest NeoOffice 3.0.2 patch. We released Patch 1 this morning and you can download it from the NeoOffice patch download page.

If the problem still occurs with NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 1, then the next think to try is uninstalling the LanguageTool extension. I understand that you are using the LanguageTool 1.0.0 extension and in this post I found that the LanguageTool extension creates its own Java thread and, potentially, their Java code is interfering with NeoOffice's code that handles window focus order.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4