· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Content Saved to iDisk Lost Upon Closing
Content Saved to iDisk Lost Upon Closing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:

Here is another, later crash report. I am not sure which is relevant so you are welcome to both. Smile

Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject:

Your crashes are not the same ones that I got. In your case, the crashes are occurring in Apple's Mac OS X code, not NeoOffice's code.

I noticed from your crash report that you have the following system hack installed on your machine. System hacks inject their code into all running applications and we have found that bugs in some system hacks can cause applications like NeoOffice to hang or crash in unexpected places in the code:

/Library/InputManagers/Glims

Can you disable this system hack before you install the next test patch that I post? To disable this system hack, move the above folder to your Desktop and reboot. You can find the folder by double-clicking on the main volume icon on your desktop and, in the Finder window that appears, navigating down through the Library and InputManagers folders.

After moving the folder and rebooting and you have installed my next test patch (I will post it soon), does NeoOffice still crash? If so, please attach a new crash log because the crash location may have changed.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Ok. Here is the new test patch. Note that in this test patch, you should only be able to do the following operations on an iDisk when running on Snow Leopard. All iDisk operations on earlier Mac OS X versions should still work as only Snow Leopard has the iDisk overwrite existing file bug that we need to avoid.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if it is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I have disabled Glims and will be watching for your fix.

Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject:

DB wrote:
I have disabled Glims and will be watching for your fix.

The new test patch is in the post just before your post. It appears that I posted the test patch seconds while you were writing your post.

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I have briefly tested the patch, and I think it does what you want. I can save a file (.odt) to my iDisk, but if I then edit it and try to save it again I get a couple of denial messages ending with an input-output error message. If close NeoOffice and go to the iDisk, I can bring up the file but it loads "Read Only".

Today the program did not crash when I closed a file as it did yesterday.

I presume you will inform the people at Apple about the buggy code. I get the impression that Apple is not that enthusiastic about the iDisk and wouldn't mind if everybody switched to the web (or iPhone) interface for "Mobile Me". But I have been using it for years and I find it very convenient. It is disconcerting to lose files from my iDisk. The only other time I had trouble with files was when trying to use the local disk clone system.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject:

DB wrote:
I presume you will inform the people at Apple about the buggy code. I get the impression that Apple is not that enthusiastic about the iDisk and wouldn't mind if everybody switched to the web (or iPhone) interface for "Mobile Me". But I have been using it for years and I find it very convenient. It is disconcerting to lose files from my iDisk. The only other time I had trouble with files was when trying to use the local disk clone system.

Yes. I have filed bug 7230613 with Apple. However, I would not expect them to provide a fix unless lots of people file a similar bug as Apple rarely responded to any of the bugs that I have filed in less than than 6 months after I file them.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I received the a reply to my Apple bug and they are asking for screen snapshots of the errors when saving. Since I don't have an iDisk account and only have been able to setup my own webdav volume, can you attach some screen snapshots and the list of steps that you get that leaves a zero length file in iDisk when using the TextEdit application?

I will then post them in the Apple bug.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix is included in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 1. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

If you are not a member of the NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Program, the fix will be available in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release currently scheduled for 27 October 2009.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The fix has been included in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release. This release can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccessdownload.php?fragment=download

The fix for this bug is also included included in NeoOffice 2.2.6. This release can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccessdownload.php?fragment=download

The above links are for NeoOffice Early Access Program members. Starting on 27 October 2009, all users will be able to download NeoOffice 3.0.1 and NeoOffice 2.2.6 for free.

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum