Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to Restore Old Preferences, Button Bars?
How to Restore Old Preferences, Button Bars?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katman
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: How to Restore Old Preferences, Button Bars?

MacOS 10.6.1
NeoOffice 3.01 EA Patch 2, upgraded from 2.2.5

It took a long time to get the toolbars right... OpenOffice is kind of klunky that way. All of the custom toolbars I made went away when I installed the new version. Is there some way to restore them, and associated preferences I had created in 2.2.5?
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice 2.2.x and NeoOffice 3.0.x maintain separate user preference files. This is done because NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code made incompatible changes to the user preference files between their OpenOffice.org 2.2.x and 3.0.x versions.

You can attempt to restore your NeoOffice 2.2.x preferences by following the steps in this NeoWiki article. There may be some NeoOffice 2.2.x preferences that are not compatible with NeoOffice 3.0.x, but many preferences can be restored.

Do the steps in the NeoWiki article allow you to recover your NeoOffice 2.2.x preferences and toolbars?

--fran

ps - In the NeoWiki article "~" refers to your home directory.
katman
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Confused By The Instructions

Instruction from the wiki:

Quote:

# If you have not done so already, move your (corrupted) NeoOffice 2.2 folder from ~/Library/Preferences to the Desktop.
# Make a copy (in Finder, from the File menu, choose Duplicate) of the NeoOffice 2.2 folder. Keep this is a safe place until the procedure is done. (This gives you a backup in case you make a mistake)

This made sense. Done.

Quote:
# Select half of the folders in the users folder of the old preferences folder (The one on the desktop) and drag them into the new (uncorrupted) folder (~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user). When it warns that this will replace folders of the same name, click ok

This is where the confusion enters. What new, uncorrupted folder? I just removed the NeoOffice-2.2 folder from preferences and put it on the desktop, just like the instructions said. The duplicate is being kept in safekeeping per instructions, and the other "uncorrupted" folder doesn't exist.

Or should I try to drag it to the NeoOffice 3.0 folder? But the formats are incompatible, aren't they? And I can't run 2.2.5 anyway in Snow Leopard, it just quits.

So, I'm completely at a loss regarding step 3. Can anyone enlighten me?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused By The Instructions

katman wrote:
Or should I try to drag it to the NeoOffice 3.0 folder? But the formats are incompatible, aren't they? And I can't run 2.2.5 anyway in Snow Leopard, it just quits.

That is correct: you want to copy the contents of the NeoOffice-2.2 folder into the NeoOffice-3.0 folder. I believe the NeoWiki article was written a while ago so the folder names are out of date so you should make a backup copy of your NeoOffice-3.0 preferences folder before copying any files into it.

The preferences may be incompatible, but if they are incompatible the worst that should happen is that they have no affect. If something bad happens, then quit NeoOffice, drag your NeoOffice-3.0 folder to the Trash, and restore the copy of the NeoOffice-3.0 folder backup that you made before you made any changes.

Does copying files from your NeoOffice-2.2 preferences folder into your NeoOffice-3.0 preferences folder work?

Quote:

You are correct that unpatched NeoOffice 2.2.5 will not run on Snow Leopard and because of that, we have backported all of our Snow Leopard fixes into NeoOffice 2.2.6. So, if you cannot get NeoOffice 3.0.1 to work the way you want it, you can download NeoOffice 2.2.6 from the following URL. Note that the NeoOffice 2.2.6 links are just below the NeoOffice 3.0.1 links:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccessdownload.php?fragment=download

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused By The Instructions

katman wrote:

Quote:
# Select half of the folders in the users folder of the old preferences folder (The one on the desktop) and drag them into the new (uncorrupted) folder (~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user). When it warns that this will replace folders of the same name, click ok

This is where the confusion enters. What new, uncorrupted folder? I just removed the NeoOffice-2.2 folder from preferences and put it on the desktop, just like the instructions said. The duplicate is being kept in safekeeping per instructions, and the other "uncorrupted" folder doesn't exist.

I agree this is confusing. I have made some changes to the NeoWiki article on Recovering Settings from Old or Corrupt Preferences to emphasis the steps to use when upgrading from NeoOffice 2.2.x to NeoOffice 3.0.x.

Can you take a look at the NeoWiki article if you have a chance and let us know if these changes make the instructions less confusing?

--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum