· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - I have a problem
I have a problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netocp-1
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: I have a problem

Hello I'm writing to this forums because I have bad news (at for me these are bad). My mac computer is damaged and I want to know if someone around know how to record a disc in Mac Os Plus format in windows. Someone?

Mad

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I do not know how burn disks in HFS+ format on Windows, but if you are only burning regular files (no Mac aliase files or softlinks) and you do not need to make the disk bootable, I would suggest looking for ways to make Windows burn a disks in ISO format as Mac OS X can read ISO formatted disks.

Patrick
netocp-1
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:

I asked that because my optical drive is damaged and someone erased me the system main files and so I can't start the computer up to I reinstall system again. Lucky I made a back up of the install discs in .dm format but I can't record these disk images in disc becuase my computer doesn't read discs and my only opportunity is record the .dmg files in to an USB drive. So I'd need Disk Utility or something to record the disk images. But how is that that the Mac can read Iso images? May I record the.dmg files in to USB drive in iso format so that I can Install Mac OS X form there?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:

It sounds like you need to create a bootable disk, right? If so, then my ISO suggestion will not work. Sad

This may not help your case but do you still have the original Mac OS X installation disks? Even if they are for an older version of Mac OS X, you can boot from the installation disks and after the first installation panel, a Mac OS X menubar will appear. There is a Disk Utility menu item in one of the menus. When you select that menu, Disk Utility application will run.

You can then use Disk Utility to access a second disk, USB stick, or other volume on your Mac and after you are done using Disk Utility, cancel the installation so that you don't overwrite your existing Mac OS X installation.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
netocp-1
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject:

Ok everything sound good. But my problem is more complex than that. My great problem is that my optical drive is damaged and so I can't insert any disc inside my computer without it eject it at the same moment, so I can't use the Mac Os X install discs because my optical drive rejects them instantly.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject:

This old MacNN forum thread suggests that uncompressed .dmg files are recognized as .iso files by some Windows disk burning software (e.g. Nero); you might be able to use that to write the .dmg to your USB disk as an HFS+ volume.

As an aside, some of the general Mac forums (like those MacNN forums) have lots users who do all manner of tinkering and can probably get you a good solution. Good luck!

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Hello again

I have a very important question for me. I want to know if I can make a booteable usb stick to install mac os x from there on an iBook G4 computer (all the process made on the same computer). I question this because I've heard that ONLY Intel Mac are able to intall Mac OS X form a booteable USB stick.

--Please, reply--

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm afraid this is correct - as far as I know, PowerPC-based Macs can only be booted from internal or FireWire disks, not from USB.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello again

netocp-1 wrote:
I have a very important question for me. I want to know if I can make a booteable usb stick to install mac os x from there on an iBook G4 computer (all the process made on the same computer). I question this because I've heard that ONLY Intel Mac are able to intall Mac OS X form a booteable USB stick.

I do not know if you can boot a G4 from a USB stick, but I think I know how you can test if it is possible. The following steps will copy your G4's main volume to the USB stick. Note: these steps will work only if you have enough space on your USB stick to hold all of the data on your main volume as I do not know of any way to only copy a portion of your main volume:

1. On your G4, insert the USB stick and quit all running applications

2. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility application, select the USB volume, and click on the Restore tab

3. Drag your main volume into the Source field and your USB volume into the Destination field, check the Erase Destination checkbox, and press the Restore button

After the copying of your main volume to your USB key, reboot your G4. While rebooting, hold down the Alt key to force your Mac to display a list of bootable volumes. If the above steps worked, your USB stick should appear in the list of bootable volumes. If your USB stick is bootable, select the USB stick and press the Return key to continue booting.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
netocp-1
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Hmmm...

Ok, I was thinking about something else. Can anyone tell me if is possible create a bootable hard disk partition to install Mac OS X from there to other partition of the same internal hard disk?, it's to say I'd use a partition of my internal hard disk as a Mac OS X Install Disc instead of a USB stick. Is this possible?

-- Very Happy --

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm...

netocp-1 wrote:
Ok, I was thinking about something else. Can anyone tell me if is possible create a bootable hard disk partition to install Mac OS X from there to other partition of the same internal hard disk?, it's to say I'd use a partition of my internal hard disk as a Mac OS X Install Disc instead of a USB stick. Is this possible?

You use the same steps: use Disk Utility's restore feature to copy your main volume to the volume that you want to be bootable.

Patrick
netocp-1
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick, I will try it out.

And I want to excuse me because these last days I've been a little far from NeoOffice proyect because my computer was damaged but now that it is fixed I will try to restore the lost time, and I'll continue translating NeoOffice. I remember that my next goal was NeoOffice Mobile Page? Well whatever I will continue helping.

-- Very Happy --

netocp-1
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: My ibook turns on but doesn't start up

Ok, I have a problem with my ibook G4 12 inches, Mac Os X Leopard 10.5.8, 1.33 GHZ and 1.5 GB of Memory.

The problem is that when I turn on my iBook it turns on and it shows the apple logo and the charging icon after that, it shows three blue screens (all this is normal), but the problem is that after the last blue screen it doesn't show my desktop because it stays in the third blue screen. It only show the pointer with the spinnig wheel and it doesn't pass to the start up process and I can't do anything. I try to start up with the command key pressed to choose another start up volume but if I try it the screen doesn't turn on although I can hear the start up chime and the fan. And also the gray screen that appears after press the turn on/off button has lines from up to down in all the screen and also the apple logo has lines from up to down inside it.

Do you understand me?

Please help Sad Shocked Confused Crying or Very sad Question

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I am not a Mac technician but it sounds like something is wrong with your machine's hard disk.

The only thing I can suggest is that you perform a disk repair on your main volume. The following steps should complete a disk repair within 15 minutes so:

1. Reboot your machine and hold the Command-S keys when you reboot

2. When the screen changes to a black background with text only, type the following commands, press the Return key, and wait until your machine reboots itself after a few minutes:

Code:
fsck -fy ; reboot

If your machine still does not reboot, then your hard disk is corrupted or broken and you will likely need to reinstall Mac OS X from the Mac OS X installation DVD.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My ibook turns on but doesn't start up

netocp-1 wrote:
I try to start up with the command key pressed to choose another start up volume

Shouldn't that be the option/alt key that you are holding down to see other connected bootable volumes?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1