Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access Program translation request
NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access Program translation request

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access Program translation request

I have updated the main website to announce the 29 December 2009 start of the NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access Program and to describe the the native text highlighting and smoother text kerning features that will be in that release.

If anyone can translate my updated text, I would appreciate it very much.

The specific text that I updated are as follows:

1. The text in the yellow box in the "news banner" section on the NeoOffice home page

2. The "new features" section of the Early Access Program features page.

Also, if you see any typos or confusing wording in my English, please let me know.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject:

I have removed the "Starting in this release" bits because it makes little sense. The current page layout suggests an older features list and a new features section. If you want to keep it, I suggest changing it to "Starting from NeoOffice 3.0.2,...". On translation this would mean replacing "NeoOffice tekent" with "Vanaf versie 3.0.2 tekent NeoOffice".

Quote:
Native Mac OS X text highlighting
Starting in this release, NeoOffice draws highlighted text the same as Apple's Safari and TextEdit applications. Recent versions of OpenOffice.org attempt to emulate native Mac OS X text highlighting by drawing a very light shade of the system highlight color on top of the highlighted text. However, many of our users have requested that we support full native Mac OS X text highlighting behavior in NeoOffice so we have rewritten the text highlighting code in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code to draw highlighted text the same as Apple's various Mac OS X applications. The following screen snapshots show how NeoOffice's text highlighting behavior compares to OpenOffice.org's behavior:

Code:
Mac OS X-eigen tekstmarkering
NeoOffice tekent gemarkeerde text net zoals de Safari en Teksteditor programma's van Apple. Recente versies van OpenOffice.org proberen om Mac OS X-eigen tekstmarkering na te doen door een hele lichte variant van de markeringskleur van het systeem over de gemarkeerde tekst heen te tekenen. Omdat veel van onze gebruikers vroegen om Mac OS X-eigen tekstmarkering hebben we de tekstmarkering in de onderliggende OpenOffice.org code aangepast zodat deze gemarkeerde tekst nu net zo tekent als de Mac OS X programma's van Apple. De onderstaande schermafbeeldingen vergelijken de tekstmarkering in NeoOffice met de manier waarop dit in OpenOffice.org wordt gedaan:

Quote:
Smoother text kerning
Starting with this release, NeoOffice draws text using each font's recommended glyph kerning. In previous versions, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code moved glyphs to the nearest screen pixel. Since Mac OS X does not require glyphs to be aligned with the nearest screen pixel, NeoOffice ignores the glyph movements requested by the OpenOffice code so that text is drawn as close as possible to the font's recommended glyph kerning. The following screen snapshots show how NeoOffice's smoother text kerning behavior compares to the behavior in previous versions:

Code:
Verfijnde tekst overhang
NeoOffice tekent tekst met de [url=http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhang_(typografie)]overhang[/url] die bij ieder lettertype wordt aangeraden. In eerdere versies verschoof de onderliggende OpenOffice.org code tekens tot de dichtstbijzijnde schermpixel. NeoOffice negeert deze verschuivingen omdat Mac OS X niet vereist dat tekens precies passen met de dichtstbijzijnde schermpixel. De tekst wordt zoveel mogelijk getekend volgens de overhang die bij een lettertype wordt aangeraden. De onderstaande schermafbeeldingen vergelijken de verfijnde tekst overhang met de manier waarop dit in eerdere versies werd gedaan:

I also added a wikipedia link to the article on kerning.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject:

Oscar,

I have posted your translations on the website. Also, to be consistent, I have also removed the "starting in this release" phrase from and added a link to English Wikipedia's kerning page in the other languages' matching page.

Please let me know if you see an errors or want to post any changes.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

Looks fine to me. I also noticed another bit missing translation on the main NeoOffice page.

Quote:
Anyone can create a free NeoOffice Mobile account. Free accounts can upload and view documents but they are limited to only 10 megabytes of storage and their documents expire after 48 hours. This allows users to try out NeoOffice Mobile and use it for temporary storage. NeoOffice donors, in contrast, have access to the complete set of features. For more information on the features that each type of account has access to, please visit the NeoOffice Mobile pricing page.

Code:
Iedereen kan een gratis NeoOffice Mobile account aanmaken. Gratis accounts kunnen documenten ontvangen en laten zien, maar zijn beperkt tot 10MB opslagruimte en de documenten aldaar vervallen na 48 uur. Hiermee kunnen gebruikers NeoOffice Mobile uitproberen en het voor tijdelijke opslag gebruiken. NeoOffice donateurs kunnen daarentegen van alle functies gebruik maken. Voor meer informatie over de functies waar iedere soort account toegang toe heeft kunt u de <a>NeoOffice Mobile prijslijst pagina</a> bezoeken.

I did not translate "account". It might have been translated as "gebruiker", but I am not too sure about that. I saw the MSN also uses "account" in the Dutch terms of service.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Looks fine to me. I also noticed another bit missing translation on the main NeoOffice page.

Your translation is now on the website.

ovvldc wrote:
I did not translate "account". It might have been translated as "gebruiker", but I am not too sure about that. I saw the MSN also uses "account" in the Dutch terms of service.

I will trust your judgement on which is better to use. If you change your mind later and decide that "gebruiker" is better than "account", let us know and we change the website.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject:

I added a new "Open Calc or Impress instead of Writer at launch" section in the Early Access Program new features page.

Would anyone be willing to translate this new section? Also, if anyone can translate the new features page to French or Spanish, I would be very grateful as we only have that page translated to Dutch right now.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Open Calc or Impress instead of Writer at launch

The NeoOffice :: Open at Launch menu allows you to choose which type of document to open when NeoOffice is launched. By default, NeoOffice opens a Writer document when launched. However, many of our users have requested that we provide an easy way to make a different document type such as Calc or Impress open when NeoOffice is launched so we have added the NeoOffice :: Open at Launch menu.

Users can select any of the document types listed in this menu and the selected document type will be opened the next time that NeoOffice is launched. Also, users can select the "- None -" menu item to only show the Mac OS X menubar when NeoOffice is launched. The screen snapshot to the right shows the NeoOffice :: Open at Launch menu with Calc set as the document type to open at launch.

I have a new idea for translating that menu: change it to "Starten met..." My apologies if that is tedious, but I believe it covers the intent more accurately.

Code:
Starten met Calc of Impress in plaats van Writer

Het NeoOffice :: Starten met menu laat u kiezen welk soort document wordt geopend als u NeoOffice start. Normaal start NeoOffice met een Writer document. Veel van onze gebruikers hebben ons gevraagd om een makkelijk manier om te starten met andere soort document zoals Calc of Impress. Hiervoor hebben we het NeoOffice :: Starten met menu toegevoegd.

Gebruikers kunnen een van de soorten documenten in dit menu kiezen. Dit soort document wordt geopend als NeoOffice wordt gestart. Gebruikers kunnen ook de optie - geen - kiezen, waarmee alleen een Mac OS X menubalk verschijnt bij het starten van NeoOffice. De schermafbeelding rechts laat het NeoOffice :: Starten met menu zien met Calc ingesteld als het soort document dat bij starten wordt geopend.

I wonder if the first sentence in the second paragraph is redundant. It is also a rather long sentence, so I chopped it into two sentences in the Dutch translation. I also chopped the last sentence of the first paragraph for the same reason.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I have a new idea for translating that menu: change it to "Starten met..." My apologies if that is tedious, but I believe it covers the intent more accurately.

Sorry, but I am not sure that I agree. It appears that you are trying to make the menu and the menu items join togther into a complete phrase but your use of "..." is not appropriate in the menu as "..." means that a dialog will appear. That is why I made put a complete phrase in the English menu instead of "Launch with..." nor do you see "Bring to front..." where you see the "Window" menu.

Does that make sense?

Edit by pluby: I did not respond to your "I wonder if the first sentence in the second paragraph is redundant" question. It is a bit redundant but what I was trying to emphasize was that changing the selected menu will take effect with the next NeoOffice launch. In other words, there is no immediate action that happens. So, I was thinking of clarifying the wording by changing the first English sentence in the second paragraph to the following:

Quote:
When a user selects one of the document types listed in this menu, the selected document type will be opened the next time that NeoOffice is launched.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject:

I understand what you mean. I thought I saw it read "Open at launch..." but I was obviously not looking straight Embarassed.

Quote:
When a user selects one of the document types listed in this menu, the selected document type will be opened the next time that NeoOffice is launched.

I wonder if this makes clear that the preference sticks, but that is a minor point. Here's the revised translation. I transposed your sentence into active tense in Dutch because it is so much shorter. I've done that regularly anyway Smile.

Code:
Bij starten Calc of Impress tonen in plaats van Writer

Het NeoOffice :: Toon bij starten menu laat u kiezen welk soort document wordt geopend als u NeoOffice start. Normaal start NeoOffice met een Writer document. Veel van onze gebruikers hebben ons gevraagd om een makkelijk manier om te starten met andere soort document zoals Calc of Impress. Hiervoor hebben we het NeoOffice :: Toon bij starten menu toegevoegd.

Als een gebruikers een van de soorten documenten in dit menu kiest, zal NeoOffice de volgende keren bij starten dat soort document tonen. Gebruikers kunnen ook de optie - geen - kiezen, waarmee alleen een Mac OS X menubalk verschijnt bij het starten van NeoOffice. De schermafbeelding rechts laat het NeoOffice :: Toon bij starten menu zien met Calc ingesteld als het soort document dat bij starten wordt geopend.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject:

Oscar,

I have posted your revised translations on the website and I added a screen snapshot of the Dutch menus so that the snapshot matches your translations.

Also, good catch on my use of passive voice. I try to always use active voice as passive voice so I have changed the English page to be active voice. Hopefully it matches your Dutch text close enough. Let me know if you think the English and Dutch are now different because of my change.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Erk. Spelling mistakes Embarassed. Here goes again...

Code:
Bij starten Calc of Impress tonen in plaats van Writer

Het NeoOffice :: Toon bij starten menu laat u kiezen welk soort document wordt geopend als u NeoOffice start. Normaal start NeoOffice met een Writer document. Veel van onze gebruikers hebben gevraagd om een makkelijk manier om te starten met andere soort document zoals Calc of Impress. Hiervoor hebben we het NeoOffice :: Toon bij starten menu toegevoegd.

Als een gebruiker een van de soorten documenten in dit menu kiest, zal NeoOffice de volgende keren bij starten dat soort document tonen. Gebruikers kunnen ook de optie - geen - kiezen, waarmee alleen een Mac OS X menubalk verschijnt bij het starten van NeoOffice. De schermafbeelding rechts laat het NeoOffice :: Toon bij starten menu zien, met Calc ingesteld als het soort document dat bij starten wordt geopend.

You active voice seems to match my Dutch just fine Smile.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Oscar,

One question: should I replace "- geen -" with "- Geen -" and put Dutch style quotation marks around it so that it matches the actual menu? If so, what is the standard quoting characters for Dutch?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:

I must be losing my touch. Anyway..

Yes, you should, and the "double quotes" are standard for Dutch.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:

OK. Your revised translations are now on the website.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject:

I have one final Dutch mistake to fix and a general remarks on the features page:

"met andere soort document" should be "met een ander soort document"

There is a blue banner on the features page that has
"Feature Description" in it. While this is true for the list at the bottom, the top set is not organised like that. I suggest removing the text from that banner.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2