NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3.0 EA Icons
NeoOffice 3.0 EA Icons

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:

Attached is my first draft of the super-sized NeoOffice icon. Bit more editing to do and then I'll package it. I hope this may be useful some day.

Merry Christmas!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject:

Daniel,

Your high resolution ship looks good to me.

If you can provide a ship.icns and ship.psd file by sometime on 26 December 2009, I can include the ship.icns file in the NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access release. I only need those two files as the NeoOffice build handles the ship icon separately from the toolbar icons.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject:

I didn't envisage this as a replacement for Dan Bennett's icon, which we all agree is a good design and fit for purpose. The reason for me creating this super-sized version (apart from boredom and me being bloody-minded!) is that I thought it might be useful in future for the website, press kit, CD labels and such like.

The only thing I could do to improve the application icon would be to add a new 512px bitmap to the file (currently the biggest size is 256px.) It's a moot point whether there is any benefit to having a 512px icon, but it wouldn't take long and I'm happy to do it if you'd like.

Btw, I don't recommend adding my 600 dpi Photoshop file to CVS because it's 162 MB right now. Shocked
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
The only thing I could do to improve the application icon would be to add a new 512px bitmap to the file (currently the biggest size is 256px.) It's a moot point whether there is any benefit to having a 512px icon, but it wouldn't take long and I'm happy to do it if you'd like.

It's a common minor whine that we don't have a 512px icon, and as such it's a nice thing to fix now that it's easy to do so. Smile

My memory is really failing me, because I thought that I once had a ~900px version of the ship alone, as .psd, but I absolutely cannot find it (only the 400ish version that is in the 512x512px draft icon with busted Aqua globe) Sad

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:

Thanks for clarifying the purpose of your image. You read my mind that I was thinking about the 512px icon file.

If you are able to create a 512px icns and matching PSD file, that would be great and I will include it in the NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access release. If you cannot create on such short notice, that is OK as we can target including it in the 2 February 2010 release of NeoOffice 3.0.2.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I've got the icon updated. However, I want you guys to take a look so you know what you're getting. Whilst I've tried to make my super-sized logo a faithful recreation of the original, it's not a carbon copy. This little video illustrates the point:

http://www.pimley.net/projects/downloads/neo_512px_icon_091225.mov

To the best of my knowledge, icons don't do animated transitions between 256px and 512px bitmaps in the Finder or the Dock, so perhaps this mismatch is not an issue. Btw Smokey, Dan seemed pretty certain that the icon was created at 256px (though his memory may be failing him as well!) so it's possible your higher-res versions were simply upscaled in Photoshop.

I can make a deadline of 26th with little notice. Just let me know your thoughts.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject:

I see the differences that you describe. However, since they only seem to be differences in the shading and accenting, I don't think the differences are a big deal.

I believe that .icns files will animate in the Dock if you have enabled magnification for the Dock. But if you only put your new icon image in the .icns file, I think animation will be OK because Mac OS X will then scale your icon image and there will be no jarring change in shading or accenting in the image.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Here's an archive with the new ship icon and the PNG I used to make it. I can't include a source PSD because my method was to export a full scale PNG of my 600 dpi Photoshop file and then resize it and retouch a little.

http://www.pimley.net/projects/downloads/NeoOffice_Icon_091225.zip

I think I'm done with the Photoshop file now, so I'll upload it and a selection of exports (PNG and JPEG) soon and send you guys a link. The PSD compresses to a more respectable 32 MB. Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the new .icns file. However, I am not sure that it is working properly on Mac OS X 10.4.11. What I have done is replace the ship.icns in my NeoOffice installation with your new .icns file and reboot. But when I turn Dock magnification on, the NeoOffice icon looks the same as the old icon and I see none of the shading differences.

Do you think that I am picking up the old icon image instead of the new one?

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject:

The Dock with magnification enabled and set to maximum, only uses the 128px bitmap for all scaling and animation. The Finder uses either the 16px, 32px or 128px bitmaps depending on view preferences, Quick Look on Leopard displays the 512px bitmap and Coverflow seems to use both the 256px and the 512px, depending on the size of the Coverflow window.

I think it is normal behaviour that you are seeing the old icon in the Dock. In fact I don't think Tiger has any technologies that will make use of the new 512px icon, only Leopard and SL will do so.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject:

OK. I can definitely see that the new icon is much clearer when I boot into Snow Leopard, replace the old ship.icns with your new one, switch Finder to Cover Flow mode, and increase the Finder window size as large as possible. With a large window size, the NeoOffice 3.0.1 icon image is slightly blurry while the new icon is very crisp.

I will include your new ship.icns in my next NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access build. If you can get us the PSD, I can zip it to reduce the size further and check the zip file into our code repository so that we have a backup copy if needed.

Also, can you make sure that it the GPL license (either version 2.0 or 3.0 is OK) that you are using for the PSD? The previous icon's PSD was GPL 2.0 so I am assuming that you will continue to use the GPL since you created the new icon from the previous icon.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject:

The PSD is GPL'ed and uploaded. I've sent you the link privately.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
The PSD is GPL'ed and uploaded. I've sent you the link privately.

I have downloaded the zip file and added it in our cvs repository in the neojava/etc/package/ship.psd.zip file.

BTW, I removed the .png and .jpg files from the zip file though as removing those files reduced the size of the .zip file by 25%. cvs does not handle large binary files well so trimming it down by this much really helps.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have downloaded the zip file and added it in our cvs repository in the neojava/etc/package/ship.psd.zip file.

Somewhat related question: is cvs not syncing to anoncvs anymore? I notice that file doesn't show up in cvsweb (nor when trying an anoncvs checkout), and according to cvsweb, the last checkins I could find were several months ago.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
pluby wrote:

Somewhat related question: is cvs not syncing to anoncvs anymore? I notice that file doesn't show up in cvsweb (nor when trying an anoncvs checkout), and according to cvsweb, the last checkins I could find were several months ago.

There is something wrong with the anoncvs job. Ed and I will take a look at it and report back when it is working again.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4