Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - view two different positions in one large document
view two different positions in one large document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madege
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: view two different positions in one large document

Hi,

I usually work with large manuscripts containing more than 100 pages. On a friend's computer (who is running windows and ms word) I have seen this feature that allows you to view two different positions of the same document at once in one window, i.e. he can see for example page 20 of the document in the upper part of his windows and, say, page 50 in the lower. That is immensely helpful. So far, I went about this problem by opening the same document twice, which is sort of unpractical since you can always only make changes in one window. Is there a similar function in Neooffice I could use? Thanks for the help and thanks for the great work.

Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Window -> new window

I just found the window -> new window function to open the same document in two windows while being able to edit in both windows. But is there a way to have it in one window that is split in two parts? Thanks
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Window -> new window

madege wrote:
I just found the window -> new window function to open the same document in two windows while being able to edit in both windows. But is there a way to have it in one window that is split in two parts? Thanks

I am glad that you found the Window :: New menu so fast. Unfortunately, the Window :: New menu is the only way to view different parts of the same Writer document simultaneously. While you can split a single window in Calc documents, the bad news is that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code does not have the ability to split a single window.

I do know that many people have requested this feature from Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers, but they have not yet implemented this feature.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject:

That's issue 19291 for the core OpenOffice.org code, btw.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Wow. I forgot how old the "split window" feature request is. I wonder if there is a technical limitation in the OpenOffice.org Writer code that makes implementation of this feature problematic. Maybe the cursor location is essentially tied to the window, not the document?

While I don't know if a split window feature is feasible to implement, if it is a feature that lots of other NeoOffice donors have been wishing for? If so, post and let us know. If a dozen or more donors tell us that this would be a really valuable, I can at least spend some time looking at the OpenOffice.org code to see if I can identify what, if anything, is preventing the OpenOffice.org engineers from implementing this feature.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Wow. I forgot how old the "split window" feature request is.

It was originally filed as issue 4508 Razz before that bug started collecting garbage comments :p

pluby wrote:
I wonder if there is a technical limitation in the OpenOffice.org Writer code that makes implementation of this feature problematic. Maybe the cursor location is essentially tied to the window, not the document?

I looked at the description of issue 102365, on which issue 19291 depends, and if I understand the OOo-devspeak, it looks like the current "split" ability only is part of the framework code behind Calc, and Writer uses a different framework….

pluby wrote:
While I don't know if a split window feature is feasible to implement, if it is a feature that lots of other NeoOffice donors have been wishing for?

Four or five years ago I would have said yes, absolutely, but I haven't had that need in my normal usage in a long time.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I looked at the description of issue 102365, on which issue 19291 depends, and if I understand the OOo-devspeak, it looks like the current "split" ability only is part of the framework code behind Calc, and Writer uses a different framework….

I definitely assume that you cannot copy and paste the Calc code into Writer and the split window feature would have to be implemented with new code in Writer. I had to do the same thing in the upcoming NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access release's native text highlighting feature: each NeoOffice application needed its own separate implementation.

What I am curious about is if there are limitations in Writer's internal data structures like, for example, toolbars or the cursor are linked to a window object and, as a result, things like toolbar buttons would not work or Writer would get confused as to where the cursor is in each of the split windows.

Patrick
madege
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject:

it really is a question of the size of your files. If you work with very large files, this is a brilliant feature, especially if you make reference to what you have written before or create a bibliography. I totally agree that it is not helpful if you only work with documents of 20 pages or smaller. But still --- I would appreciate any effort that might make something like a split window possible (although, I do realize that it might not be worth the effort). Thanks for your help.
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

Some form of split window feature would be welcomed by a good number of my users. It's something that seems to be raised regularly during local Word vs NeoOffice discussions.

Thanks for offering to take a look at it, if there's sufficient interest gathered.

Ray

carpenpa
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Viewing 2 writer parts simultaneously

This does not really solve the problem but I find using the navigator an extremely useful tool for switching quickly between to parts of a large document by using bookmarks. So much so that I keep the navigator open and docked most of the time. It does not allow a dual display of the same document but saves a lot of scrolling.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have moved this topic into our new NeoOffice New Feature Requests forum. If we see a dozen or so donors post that they also want this feature, then we will start looking at how to implement this feature.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:

On my 13" laptop it doesn't make much sense, but I can see the point on a large monitor.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1