NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Press Kit
NeoOffice Press Kit

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: NeoOffice Press Kit

I was recently browsing the wiki. It looks like the newest version of the press kit is the 2.1 Press Kit. I know how much time it would take to keep the thing up to date and it's probably not worth that effort, but I wondered if it makes sense to convert the 2.1 press kit into a generic (non version-specific) press kit. Also I can provide the larger sized logo for print/web publishing if desirable.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Press Kit

djpimley wrote:
I was recently browsing the wiki. It looks like the newest version of the press kit is the 2.1 Press Kit. I know how much time it would take to keep the thing up to date and it's probably not worth that effort, but I wondered if it makes sense to convert the 2.1 press kit into a generic (non version-specific) press kit. Also I can provide the larger sized logo for print/web publishing if desirable.

You might want to point to the applicable press releases that I prepare with each release. Here is a list of the press releases that are on the main website newest to oldest release:

http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_3.0.2_Early_Access.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_3.0.1.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_3.0.1_Early_Access.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_3.0.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_3.0_Early_Access.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_2.2.5.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_2.2.4.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_2.2.3.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_2.2.2.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_2.2.1.html
http://www.neooffice.org/press_releases/NeoOffice_2.1.html

Hope that helps,

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Press Kit

djpimley wrote:
I was recently browsing the wiki. It looks like the newest version of the press kit is the 2.1 Press Kit.

Over time we've had a steadily-decreasing number of wiki contributors (and steadily-increasing demands on my time, particularly, for some reason, around the time of major NeoOffice releases Razz ) Sad

djpimley wrote:
I know how much time it would take to keep the thing up to date and it's probably not worth that effort, but I wondered if it makes sense to convert the 2.1 press kit into a generic (non version-specific) press kit. Also I can provide the larger sized logo for print/web publishing if desirable

I'd prefer we left the 2.1 press kit alone (like we did for the 1.1 kit before it), but yes, if you're willing to put in some time to "clone" the 2.1 content to a generic page like "NeoOffice Press Kit" and then at least bring that up to date for 3.0.x, that would be great. Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I'll get registered and give it a go.

EDIT: Oh, actually from looking at the Wiki's new user page, it seems you are the man who can, Smokey. I could PM you but I think you have all the information you need already. Smile
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks for setting up my account, Smokey.

But... am I missing something, or is it impossible for me to create a new page? Confused
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
But... am I missing something, or is it impossible for me to create a new page? Confused

In the MediaWiki software that we use for our NeoWiki, you create a new page by going to a page with a non-existent title. Then MediaWiki will ask you if you want to create the page.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject:

What Patrick said. So, for instance, to create a new generic "NeoOffice Press Kit" page, just visit https://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Press_Kit and start editing.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:

How intuitive! Laughing

Thanks both, I'm up and running now (at the address suggested by Smokey.) I'll tinker with it over the next few days. Please feel free to join in.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for working on this!!

I made some changes to the sections on the Neowiki and the NeoOffice Support Team sections.

I removed from the list a lot of support team volunteers that we haven't seen in the last few months, which just by chance put my name first. Embarassed I'm aware I haven't been all that active of late, so I may go back and switch the list order around.

I also removed the reference to Bugzilla, since we are handling most bug triage in the forums these days.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't also list in that section folks like Smokey and Oscar who have their own section due to their other contributions to the project, but who also help out with support questions.

Also I think it is no longer correct to say that Jake "hosts" the neowiki.

Lorinda
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I've had a little editing frenzy. I've concentrated on 3 things:

Brevity: trying to keep the document length under control and, wherever possible, cutting to the chase.
Testimonials: tried to make these snappy, removing MS sniping and ho-hum statements, also searched for some new quotes.
Organisation: rearranged the sections a bit. Seemed more logical to me.

Thoughts welcome. Be gentle. Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Also I think it is no longer correct to say that Jake "hosts" the neowiki.

I think we should probably remove Jake and Brett. I don't think either are active at all anymore (although Jake will probably pop up with a new scene in the ongoing play to prove me wrong), and Brett's icon tools are obsolete AFAIK.

We should be sure to add Fran and TimT to that page, too, as well as aussie149 and jgd for the manuals they wrote/edited.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject:

I removed (commented out) Jake and Brett, as Smokey advises. I'll leave it to you to add the appropriate copy for Fran, TimT, aussie149 and jgd.

I added another migration story I found online. Let me know if you feel any of these are not appropriate - I'm just doing Google searches and then crawling the results, though the sites are all reputable IMHO.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I took a quick look at the FAQ section in the NeoWiki article and I noticed two things:

1. The "What is NeoOffice?" item says that NeoOffice runs on Mac OS X 10.3.x and higher. Although NeoOffice 2.2.x runs on that version, I think that might be a bit misleading since the current version requires Mac OS X 10.4.x and higher.

2. The "What is the relationship between NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org?" item is really out of date. There is no "X11 porting team" at OpenOffice.org and all development of their Mac OS X port is done by Sun Microsystems employees. I would recommend deleting this item as it talks about code sharing and cooperation that has not happened since OpenOffice.org announced their Mac OS X porting efforts back in 2006.

3. The "Why is NeoOffice separate from OpenOffice.org?" item is also out of date. I would recommend replacing it with the text on our main website's FAQ page.

Thoughts?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
I added another migration story I found online. Let me know if you feel any of these are not appropriate - I'm just doing Google searches and then crawling the results, though the sites are all reputable IMHO.

Note that in the past we've specifically asked people for permission to include their stores in the Press Kit; while citing formal reviews in actual publications is fine, I think we should be careful about picking out user quotes from update sites and fora without permission.

pluby wrote:
1. The "What is NeoOffice?" item says that NeoOffice runs on Mac OS X 10.3.x and higher. Although NeoOffice 2.2.x runs on that version, I think that might be a bit misleading since the current version requires Mac OS X 10.4.x and higher.

I shifted the requirements to match Neo 3, but left a parenthetical mention that 2.2.6 is still available for users on 10.3.9. I think that's less of an important thing to mention these days, so we can drop it altogether if that seems better.

pluby wrote:
2. The "What is the relationship between NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org?" item is really out of date. There is no "X11 porting team" at OpenOffice.org and all development of their Mac OS X port is done by Sun Microsystems employees. I would recommend deleting this item as it talks about code sharing and cooperation that has not happened since OpenOffice.org announced their Mac OS X porting efforts back in 2006.

I removed this FAQ item. It had some other facets to it (your/Ed's/Dan's history with the OOo codebase, and some technical/licensing information about Neo's use of the OOo code), but I think they're mostly adequately covered by the subsequent FAQ item.

pluby wrote:
3. The "Why is NeoOffice separate from OpenOffice.org?" item is also out of date. I would recommend replacing it with the text on our main website's FAQ page.

I haven't tackled this yet, but I agree it needs updating to match the current NeoOffice.org FAQ.

I also performed a few minor edits here and there on the page, mainly fixing some typos and an out-of-date list of Mac features that OOo doesn't have.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

pluby wrote:

I shifted the requirements to match Neo 3, but left a parenthetical mention that 2.2.6 is still available for users on 10.3.9. I think that's less of an important thing to mention these days, so we can drop it altogether if that seems better.

I still see questions about OOo for 10.3 at least once a month on the OOo Community Forums, so I think leaving this in might be a good idea. While I don't "push" Neo on those forums, I always mention Neo in response to those questions, since the only OOo versions that work on 10.3 require X11.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4