Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - need french version of 1.1.2
need french version of 1.1.2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: need french version of 1.1.2

I have been looking all afternoon for French localised OOo1.1.2 to install at a clients. I did a wonderfull demo of pulling mailing labels from the database but the English language menus do'it do it for them...

I wasted an hour downloading the 1.1.2 from the French mirror and it is in English... bravo les froggies!
Wink

Tony
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject:

If they're only running 10.3.x Macs, there's 1.1.3fr http://fr.openoffice.org/about-downloads.html#Mac
(NB this version is not officially supported by those of us here on Trinity; we only support the 1.1.2 GM build availaible from http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ because it's the only one that we've tested and are familiar with, and there are significant differences in the intall/setup/etc. between the two).

If your clients have 10.2.x Macs, or you want to be able to get intelligent answers from us in case of problems, Ed (OPENSTEP) might be able to get you the language files needed for francophonizing the GM build.

Of course, Neo/J runs in French out of the box on 10.2 and 10.3, is officially supported here, is also based on OOo 1.1.3, and has Aqua menus and better Mac OS X integration to boot Smile

Smokey
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: need french version of 1.1.2

kiwi wrote:
I have been looking all afternoon for French localised OOo1.1.2 to install at a clients. I did a wonderfull demo of pulling mailing labels from the database but the English language menus do'it do it for them...

Ask Eric Bachard <eric.bachard@free.fr> since he does a lot of building of Mac ports. But he is on vacation until the end of januari Confused.
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
If they're only running 10.3.x Macs, there's 1.1.3fr http://fr.openoffice.org/about-downloads.html#Mac
(NB this version is not officially supported by those of us here on Trinity; we only support the 1.1.2 GM build availaible from http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ because it's the only one that we've tested and are familiar with, and there are significant differences in the intall/setup/etc. between the two).

I have one machine that runs 10.3 there and was planning on using 1.1.3-fr on it.

Quote:
If your clients have 10.2.x Macs, or you want to be able to get intelligent answers from us in case of problems, Ed (OPENSTEP) might be able to get you the language files needed for francophonizing the GM build.

That is what I spent yesterday evening looking for. I saw an Italian chap was pointed to a kit so I asked here Very Happy I have already played with language files a while back. What really got my attention was the work being done in South Africa on multi-lingual versions. This is my killer app - multilingual OOo...

Quote:

Of course, Neo/J runs in French out of the box on 10.2 and 10.3, is officially supported here, is also based on OOo 1.1.3, and has Aqua menus and better Mac OS X integration to boot Smile

Yes I know. I am worried about speed. JDBC requests take forever in Neo. Some of the machines do not have enough RAM and are older iMacs (speed would be comparable to my test machine). 1.1.2 is a significant improvement over 1.0.3 that they were using.

Cheers and don't eat too much Turkey Cool
Tony
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject:

kiwi wrote:
sardisson wrote:

I have already played with language files a while back. What really got my attention was the work being done in South Africa on multi-lingual versions. This is my killer app - multilingual OOo...

As I understand it, there's nothing that's stopping anyone from releasing OOo built to contain all the supported languages--except app size and disk space and bandwidth, of course Very Happy That's why Neo/J has the language packs instead of bundling all 40 languages--I think Patrick said including them all by default doubled the size of the download. Similar rationale for OOo 1.1.2.

kiwi wrote:
Yes I know. I am worried about speed. JDBC requests take forever in Neo. Some of the machines do not have enough RAM and are older iMacs (speed would be comparable to my test machine). 1.1.2 is a significant improvement over 1.0.3 that they were using.

Fair enough. Smile

kiwi wrote:
Cheers and don't eat too much Turkey Cool
Tony

Cheers!
Smokey

Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: a couple of questions

Ed I see you are back can you point me in the right direction to stuff that would let me make a french version of 1.1.2?

The questions are:
- what will happen to users of Mac OS X 10.2.x? The economics of upgrading an older Mac that works (and Macs do tend to work for a very long time...) to Panther are not good. 10.2.8 is rock solid on my G3, Panther has no real advantages for me or my use of the machine.

- Why do the localised versions jump from 1.0.8 -> 1.1.3? Was the time between 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 so short? Does 1.1.3 fix major bugs in 1.1.2?

Cheers

Tony
(yes there are more than two questions Cool )
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject:

I installed the French 1.1.3 on the sole Panther machine at my client today. Click click and a JDBC connection pulled labels for works of art from the database. Click click change fonts and format them...

Fast fluid operation - startup time is good.

Now I have the people on 1.1.2 crying out for French version too silly me! Shouldn't have showed them...

Cheers

Tony
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject:

bump...

Where can I find the necessary language files to compile my own 1.1.2-fr please. Pretty please Cool

Tony
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject:

If you can PM or e-mail me a location I can send along the 112 french X11 install set for OOo 1.1.2 (same GM edition, minus the non-X11 installer, Mac-specific font and helper app settings, and font conversion). I have them lying around somewhere for all the languages actually. The only caveat is that you'd have to install X11, fondu, and any other dependent applications manually. You'd also have to use the Terminal to install...it's not a double click kind of process or a regular package based installer.

ed
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks so much. I will grant access to the files to those who may need them from the location specified in the PM I just sent. So don't put anything in there that you don't want "the world" to see Wink

I can't create a mirror because I'm not rich in bandwidth so it will be available to those who ask.

As for installing via terminal I have already been down that road Cool Cool Cool

Tony
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:

OK I have installed OOo 1.1.2 french but startup fails half way through complaining of corrupt filter data.

Does this ring a bell with any one? Google didn't tell me anything

Tony
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Erg. That stinks...if the MD5 sum matched the tarball then I can't think what might be wrong...those are the GM binaries off of my backup partition. I'll try running it myself and see if I can reproduce the error.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:

OK, I just successfully installed it from the GM french binary install set w/o getting the corrupt errors. The only errors I got were the ones for replacing softlinks from another 1.1.2 installation. First, check the MD5 to make sure I uploaded it correctly. Next, you'll have to run the following. Note that the X11 based setup installer is really picky about how you install it:

1) Create the directory where you want OOo to be installed. This must *not* contain spaces, either in any of the enclosing directory names or the hard drive name. Let's call this /path/to/install
    2) Untar the setup tarball into a directory in a location that does not contain spaces. Let's call it /where/your/setup/is/untarred
    3) Launch X11.app (or other X server)
    4) Open a Terminal
    5) Type the following (a full blank line separates each individual command line:
    Code:

csh

setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /path/to/install/program:/path/to/install/program/filter

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0

cd /where/your/setup/is/untarred/normal/setup

./setup

6) When you get to where you choose the installation directory in the setup graphical interface, you *must* type in /path/to/install or else things won't install properly.

The trick with the X11 setup executable is that, prior to being run, it must have that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH configured properly in order to locate the filters and other shared libraries. I suspect this may be why it was complaining about lost filters. It's also one of the reasons I never put up X11-setup-based tarballs since they can be such a pain to get to install correctly.

ed
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject:

OK Ed

I just ran
# ./install --single --interactive

I had modified install.sh to install in /Applications/OpenOfficeorg1.1.2-fr

Will try your way later in the day

Tony

UPDATE

OK that did the trick. With Apple X11 beta the DISPLAY variable is not required because Apple X11 takes care of it.

Tony
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:

Sweet! If those binaries look OK then I'm pretty sure that it should be possible to come up with either the pkg installer or an IA based one. Unfortunately I've not had experience manually assembling the pkg ones and for IA you need to run to ZeroG to get a license donated to you. They don't allow me to share the code with other developers Sad If you mention to them that you're assembling a localized OOo installer I think they'll donate you a license as they do that to support freeware and open source projects.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2