Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Empty NO Window in Exposé 'All Windows' View
Empty NO Window in Exposé 'All Windows' View

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Empty NO Window in Exposé 'All Windows' View

In the 'All Windows' view in Exposé, NeoOffice is always visible even if there is no actual document opened.

'Visible' means that a kind of phantom windows is shown, i.e. the space for a windows is used but there is only the caption 'NeoOffice' below while the actual 'window' has no content but shows the background desktop image.

Software versions: Mac OS X 10.6.1, NO 3.0.1 EA Patch 01

Step by step:

1. Open NeoOffice
2. Close empty Writer document
3. Open Exposé in 'All Windows' view (F3 on newer Macs)

Martin
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:

This is probably caused by the single pixel window that NeoOffice maintains so that you can use its menus when all other windows are closed. That extra window is supposed to live off-screen but it apparently doesn't.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
This is probably caused by the single pixel window that NeoOffice maintains so that you can use its menus when all other windows are closed. That extra window is supposed to live off-screen but it apparently doesn't.

Oscar is correct: if you close all windows in NeoOfice, there will always still be one 1 x 1 pixel window. In normal mode, this 1 x 1 pixel window is hidden behind the menubar. However, when you switch into Exposé, Exposé moves all windows into the viewable area of the screen and, since this 1 x 1 pixel window has keyboard and mouse focus, the application is active.

The reason we have this 1 x 1 pixel window is that both Java and the OpenOffice.org handle menu setup like a Window application: you must attach menus to a visible, focussed window. While we could work arround OpenOffice.org's limitation, we cannot work around Apple's Java limitations. As result, when we implemented this feature a few years ago, we used the 1 x 1 pixel approach since it was the closest we could get to true native behavior with Apple's Java.

I hope that explains what you are seeing.

Patrick
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I hope that explains what you are seeing.

It explains what I am seeing, it does not explain how you plan to solve this issue. NeoOffice is supposed to be more Mac-like than OpenOffice.org, however, an essential Mac feature like Exposé is not properly supported in this case.

I know that the problem is caused by a workaround to make the NeoOffice menus work like proper Mac menus, i.e. they are visible even if there is no open document, however, at least I myself use Exposé all the time while I have never cared about OpenOffice.org's very limited menu if no document is open.

Martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:

mds wrote:
It explains what I am seeing, it does not explain how you plan to solve this issue. NeoOffice is supposed to be more Mac-like than OpenOffice.org, however, an essential Mac feature like Exposé is not properly supported in this case.

I have no plans to "solve" it because as I said the limits of Java and OpenOffice.org's need for menus to be attached to a focussed window makes implementing the behavior that you desire infeasible.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject:

I forgot to add that if this feature is a showstopper for you, you may want to try using OpenOffice.org 3.1.1. Since they do not use Java to implement native menus, they are not subject to the limitations that NeoOffice is.

Of course, OpenOffice.org also does not display any of the menus that our users requested that we display like the File :: Recent Documents menu. Apparently, even though they aren't restricted by Java like we our, they ran into their own internal code limitations that prevent display of their standard File menu unless it is attached to a window.

While OpenOffice.org's generic menu when there are no open document windows may be adequate for some users, displaying the File :: Recent Documents and other related menus was the most requested feature. That is why we invested many weeks of engineering work to implement the "1 x 1 pixel" approach. It definitely is not perfect, but it provided the access to the menus that our users were continually asking for.

Patrick
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I forgot to add that if this feature is a showstopper for you, you may want to try using OpenOffice.org 3.1.1.

For the time being, NeoOffice is still my OpenOffice of choice. OOo is making some progress, however, Sun's Mac support is still pretty lame.

Martin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I might have some good news for you. I was looking at NeoOffice in Exposé's All Windows mode while I had a document and a floating window open. What caught my eye is that the floating window hides when in All Windows mode just like when NeoOffice is not the active application.

This gave me an idea. Our code explicitly sets the native "hide when application is not active" setting on all floating windows so that Mac OS X automatically hides those windows. So, I set the same setting on the 1 x 1 pixel window and when I switched to All Windows mode, the 1 x 1 pixel was no longer displayed.

I only tested this on Tiger, but when NeoOffice is the active application and I switch to either All Windows and Application Windows mode (F9 and F10 on Tiger), NeoOffice behaves the same as Finder when Finder is the active application and all Finder windows are closed.

I need to finish merging some security fixes from the OpenOffice.org code before I can post a test patch, but I should have a test patch posted in this forum topic by this weekend at the latest.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject:

The backporting of OpenOffice.org's security fixes is taking a little longer than I expected so I went ahead and uploaded the following test patch that has the fix for the 1 x 1 pixel window showing when in Exposé's All Windows mode.

I tested this on Snow Leopard earlier today and I must admit that I did not realize how obvious this issue was on Snow Leopard. I normally work on Tiger as I need to compile NeoOffice on the earliest Mac OS X version that we support and on Tiger the 1 x 1 pixel window is barely noticeable. But on Snow Leopard, that window really stood out.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if my fix works for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6_Early_Access-Patch-1-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you install the following test patch and tell us if my fix works for you?:

Exposé with 'all windows' looks perfect again, thank you!

Martin (using NeoOffice 3.0.1 EA Patch 1 Test 3 Intel on Mac OS X 10.6.1)
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The fix is included in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Patch 2. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

Also, The fix is included in NeoOffice 2.2.6 Early Access Patch 2. You can download that patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

If you are not a member of the NeoOffice 3.0.1 Early Access Program, the fix will be available in the NeoOffice 3.0.1 release currently scheduled for 27 October 2009.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject:

I found a new bug that is caused by my fix for this bug. The new bug is that if you Control-click in a document a popup menu appears. If you click your mouse in a different application's window while the popup menu is displayed, NeoOffice's active document window will become hidden.

I have fixed this bug and I have included the fix in the following test patch. If you have our NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access installed on your machine, can you install the following test patch and tell us if the Exposé bug is still fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-8-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-3-Test-4-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2_Early_Access-Patch-0-Test-8-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-3-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
mds
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have fixed this bug and I have included the fix in the following test patch. If you have our NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access installed on your machine, can you install the following test patch and tell us if the Exposé bug is still fixed for you?:
The Exposé bug is still fixed, i.e. NO without any open documents remains hidden.

NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum