NeoOffice :: View topic - Upgrade to OpenOffice 3.1.1 code
Upgrade to OpenOffice 3.1.1 code

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:

Given Patrick's misgivings and the fact that OOo 3.2.x is an unknown quantity at the moment, personally I would prefer to be on the 3.1.1 codebase.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
For features, there's http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.1/ and http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.2/rc2.html

Thanks. I must say that the 3.1.x feature list looks pretty compelling and the 3.2.0 less so. However, the improved filters would be nice, as would the better handling of merged cells and copy & paste in calc.

All in all, it doesn't matter too much for me. I assume that Patrick will spend more time reimplementing his native locking code back into the 3.1.x codebase.

And if engineers do any cleaning for 3.3, that might make a better target. But that remains to be seen.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:

PGAGA wrote:
I would tend to ask for updates from 3.2 such as filters and dictionaries, rather than a complete code rebuild.

Since most of the OpenOffice.org filter code is tightly integrated with the application code, we need to upgrade all of the OpenOffice.org code that NeoOffice uses. The only possible exception to this is the .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx file formats because the OpenOffice.org engineers implemented those separately from the application code.

ovvldc wrote:
All in all, it doesn't matter too much for me. I assume that Patrick will spend more time reimplementing his native locking code back into the 3.1.x codebase.

Not true. We backported the native locking code from OpenOffice.org and then fixed the Mac bugs in their code. So, in upgrading to either OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 or 3.2.x will only require merging our Mac-specific bug fixes.

ovvldc wrote:
And if engineers do any cleaning for 3.3, that might make a better target. But that remains to be seen.

Actually, I think the oppposite will occur and OpenOffice.org's Mac code is diverging away from the direction that we have been going. The most noticeable example of this divergence is OpenOffice.org's plans to to drop native print dialogs.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject:

Well, if the filters are easily backported and native file locking is fairly painless, I see 3.1.1 as a good idea.

Something in me still likes catching up with the latest set of features, but by now most of these are polish instead of very basic functionality.

best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

Not true. We backported the native locking code from OpenOffice.org and then fixed the Mac bugs in their code.

That's what I thought, but the OOo 3.1.x feature list I linked to above clearly touts cross-platform, non-native locking code as a new feature Razz

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Well, if the filters are easily backported and native file locking is fairly painless, I see 3.1.1 as a good idea.

I hope you meant to say that file import and export filters are not easily backported. I have tried backporting Writer filters every so often, but each time I found that the newer filter code depends on changes outside of Writer.

What I am hearing from the discussion so far is that donors want the file import and export filter bug fixes and improvements from the newer OpenOffice.org versions. If that is the case, then maybe my original post can be rephrased as the following two questions:

1. Are the file import and export bug fixes and features in newer OpenOffice.org releases something that donors want?

2. If yes, do you want to get some of the bug fixes and features quickly (by upgrading to the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code) or wait 2 or 3 months extra to get all of the bug fixes (by upgrading to the OpenOffice.org 3.2.x code).

I really appreciate the discussion in this topic as it is always hard for us to guess when the time is right to upgrade to a newer version of the OpenOffice.org code. Don't worry about whether or not upgrading to OpenOffice.org 3.2.x is more work for me. If donors think that skipping OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 and going straight to OpenOffice.org 3.2.x is the right move, then I will do use the OpenOffice 3.2.x code.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject:

From this user's POV, I'm not experiencing any noticeable difficulties with 3.0.2 EA or the latest 3.0.2 test build. I don't have any problem with the idea of going to 3.1.1 - but it's no big thing for me either.

If there is an advantage in making an early start on 3.2.x then I'd say go for it and spread the pain a bit more thinly and give yourself more space to release NO 3.2.x in good time following the release of OOo 3.2.1 and/or look at implementing some other features. OTOH if, realistically, there's no great advantage in making a start on 3.2 because of likely changes between 3.2.0 and 3.2.1 then it may be worth keeping up to date with 3.1.1.

This is based on the view that for me there are no new killer features in OOo 3.1.1 over what we've got now in NO 3.0.2.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject:

My tuppence would be: yes to import/export improvements, and yes to quickly.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
My tuppence would be: yes to import/export improvements, and yes to quickly.

I second this option. Whether we like it or not, part of the success of NeoOffice has been its ability to keep pace or even be ahead of the curve in terms of exchanging files with M$ Office, when compared with other alternatives. I wouldn't want to compromise its hard-won reputation in that regard and, yes, it is very important to my particular organization at this time.

Thanks, Patrick, for seeking to clarify the strength of opinions amongst donors in this way.

Last edited by rays on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject:

I like the Comment improvements, but for me the biggest issue is the improvement in the import/export filters for Word. I would like that quickly as well. Sharing word documents with others is important to me and people are increasingly using the .docx format.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject:

Given that the print system in OOo will probably be unstable in the whole 3.3.x series, I think that is at least one to avoid Smile.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject:

It seems that donors are leaning towards upgrading to OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 sooner rather than waiting later to upgrade to OpenOffice.org 3.2.1.

Just to make sure, is that what donors want? If so, I can start working on an OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 upgrade later this month after I get a Writer bug fixed. I cannot set any release dates yet, but I would initially work with the assumption that we could get a NeoOffice 3.1.1 Early Access release out by the end of March.

If you really want us to skip OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 and focus on upgrading to OpenOffice.org 3.2.1, please let us know.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
... I would initially work with the assumption that we could get a NeoOffice 3.1.1 Early Access release out by the end of March.
Patrick

This time-frame would be very helpful from my pespective. And, of course, we'll be ready to undertake any import/export testing ahead of the early access release if this will help to move this along.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject:

Yeah I think 3.1.1 seems more reasonable from our "incremental" approach. That codeline has already been in production for some time and seems to be mostly stable.

There have been quite a number of release candidate binaries for the initial 3.2 codeline, already 4 within a month and a half. That just doesn't strike a chord of stability in 3.2.0, IMHO.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject:

Go for it Wink
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4