Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problem opening an MS Word .doc comprising (mostly) a btable
Problem opening an MS Word .doc comprising (mostly) a btable

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilf
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Problem opening an MS Word .doc comprising (mostly) a btable

Hello - I'm using EA NeoOffice 3.0.2 patch 0, and tried today to open the attached document. Colleagues running MS Office have been able to open it unproblematically (apparently it should be a 7 page or so .doc) but I get a 2 page .doc comprising p1. and then just the final page. The text should be in the form of a very long table. I'm using a MBP running OS X 10.6.2.

If I switch from 'view print layout' to 'view web layout' the full doc appears, but this is not very userfriendly - and this is not a problem I have encountered before. Many thanks for any assistance, and apologies if this is the wrong thread.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject:

The basic problem seems to be that when NeoOffice (or AFAICT OOo) imports a table like this it places it into a frame, and frames cannot be split across pages.

A workround is to copy the table only and paste it outside the frame, then delete the frame containing the table. Here is a step by step that I think will work. I suggest you try it on a copy of your document
  • place your cursor inside one of the table cells choose Table::Select>Table
  • choose Edit::Copy
  • Click outside the table area to get your text cursor back again and place it in your document where you want to put the table (In your document the obvious place is before the '[i]' note.)
  • choose Edit::Paste. Your document should now have two copies of the table one inside and one outside the frame.
  • scroll up to the beginning of your document and click on the edge of the table to select the frame. The Frame toolbar should appear and handles should appear at the corners of the frame.
  • choose Edit::Delete and the frame with its enclosed table will disappear leaving your document with only the table you have pasted in.

Does this work for you?

I am sorry that this is only a workround, but the issue appears to be an underlying issue with OOo upon which NO is based - I suspect, therefore, that a fix is beyond the resources of the NO project.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
Wilf
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:

This works - many thanks! Now that I know what to do I can use the workaround again next time; it's not a big deal. Just out of interest, why does the table get imported into a frame? Main thing is: you've given me a solution that I can make work Very Happy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
The basic problem seems to be that when NeoOffice (or AFAICT OOo) imports a table like this it places it into a frame, and frames cannot be split across pages.

Since James3359 thought this problem might be a limitation in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code, I opened your attached file in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 (the version that NeoOffice 3.0.2 is based on). In OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 the entire table was displayed over 5 pages so there is definitely a bug in NeoOffice that we need to fix.

I suspect the bug is caused by my fix for bug 3405 back in March 2009 which fixed an OpenOffice.org bug that caused tables to by crunched when saved in a .doc file.

I will start investigating this bug. It may require some time to fix this bug without causing the known .doc export bugs to reoccur so hopefully James3359's workaround will work for you in the meantime.

The fix will probably occur after we release NeoOffice 3.0.2 but when I fix it I will post a test patch that you can try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have created bug 3586 to track this bug.

Patrick
Wilf
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject:

That's interesting. Other downloaded .doc files which contain tables but not 'whole document' tables (like the large one that takes up almost all of the attached .doc) still open fine (as they always did - it's probably a year or so since I tried to open the last year's version of that .doc that I had the problem with).

My workplace is wedded to MS so they have no interest in any of these issues, and routinely key paperwork is only available, as download, as vast .doc files (instead of e.g. pdfs...).

I'll look out for the test patch, and really appreciate the trouble you've taken!
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject:

Interesting, I thought this was a manifestation of OOo Issue 13791 where floating tables in Word are imported in frames in OOo, which did not appear to have been fixed (though I don't find the Issue tracker pages very easy to parse!). Anyway if it is a NO problem it is more likely to be solved soon - so that is good news.
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. Since this bug did not occur in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, I backported OpenOffice 3.1.1's .doc file import and export code to fix this bug.

Can you test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-0-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
Wilf
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: table bug fix

This worked perfectly - many thanks! I really appreciate the trouble you took on this. Sorry not to have got back to you sooner, I was away from work briefly. Very impressive how quickly you sorted this Very Happy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: table bug fix

Wilf wrote:
This worked perfectly - many thanks! I really appreciate the trouble you took on this. Sorry not to have got back to you sooner, I was away from work briefly. Very impressive how quickly you sorted this Very Happy

Thank you for testing my fix. Since the fix for this bug changed most of the .code that is used to open and save .doc files, I will wait at least another week before I release an official NeoOffice 3.0.2 patch to give people time to try the test patch. So if you find any problems opening or saving .doc files with the test patch, please let us know and I will investigate them.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 3.0.2 Patch 1. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum