NeoOffice Press Kit

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The other old page that needed marketing-speak cleanup was the intro to NeoOffice on https://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice I've done a first pass over it and I think it's a lot better, but let me know if there are areas that could use some additional tweaking. (I've also applied the FIXME tag to all of the translations of that page Sad ).

Thanks for updating this article. The only parts that still seem to be very "2005ish" are the last 3 paragraphs. Part of the text implies that NeoOffice is equal to Microsoft Office (and we know it is not identical) and there are a few cases where we say that all we are eager for feedback from all users (and we now only allow feedback from large donors).

I would recommend replacing these three paragraphs with the Support FAQ text on the main website.

Although it is not a perfect replacement, that text is localized so that we can replace this text on the localized NeoWiki pages. You have marked the localized pages as out of date, but in the case of the last 3 paragraphs I really think that they are enough over the top that we should replace those paragraphs with localized text or, if no localized text is available, English text.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I would recommend replacing these three paragraphs with the Support FAQ text on the main website.

Done.

Would it be possible to slightly edit the text in http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/contact.php#freesupport (which is where the Support FAQ's first link takes users) to mention that the search will turn up both "forum threads and user-generated documentation on the wiki" (or the like)?

It feels a little odd to me (in the context of the "NeoOffice" page on the wiki, which is now sending users there) that they've left the wiki just to possibly end up back there again. Beyond that, though, it might be useful generally for people to know that search will turn up both documentation we've written and "on-the-go" troubleshooting and problem-solving in the forum.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Would it be possible to slightly edit the text in http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/contact.php#freesupport (which is where the Support FAQ's first link takes users) to mention that the search will turn up both "forum threads and user-generated documentation on the wiki" (or the like)?

I am not in favor of this. All of the results in the "Search NeoOffice.org" button return a neooffice.org URL.

While I understand your desire to be precise, adding more text in the free section not only makes it less likely that users see the alternate step (i.e. search on OpenOffice.org) but it will push the Priority Support section off the page for many users.

Remember that donors are who we (Fran, Ed, and I) are most concerned about so I am not in favor of adding anything that is not absolutely critical in the section about it.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Just checking back in on the subject of the Press Kit....

Are we more-or-less all ready with the new version?

I still haven't heard back from TimT about a bio for his NeoOffice Mobile work. I have bios from Peter and Jacqueline (for the User Guide work); we were in the process of checking with Jacqueline's family to make sure the text for hers was going to be OK, since she will be the only one on the page who didn't supply it herself.

Other than that, I think we've discussed every section already in this thread, so I think we should be ready here for 2 Feb.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Are we more-or-less all ready with the new version?

We are all set to go. Note that I will release NeoOffice 3.0.2 when it is 2 February 2010 in New Zealand so that means that I will push the release in the early afternoon California time on 1 February 2010.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I will be doing my best to keep the press kit updated in a timely fashion. Smile

Btw I checked in with Dan Bennett and he is happy with his current biography.
housefull
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject:

congratulations guys, awesome work.
I look forward to seeing what you do in the next challenge.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject:

housefull wrote:
congratulations guys, awesome work.
I look forward to seeing what you do in the next challenge.

The next challenge? Sounds like a spam post to me.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The next challenge? Sounds like a spam post to me.

I agree Sad

It's a Vietnamese IP (although there is a partial Vietnamese translation of the NeoOffice website, so could be a legitimate user).

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4