LanguageTool

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The FIXME comment is about the manual override of Patrick's fallback system, where in Neo 2 you could edit the list of installed dictionaries in order to make sure you didn't use a locale-specific OOo dictionary before a more general locale Mac OS X dictionary. In Neo 2 one could do this by editing a simple text file; I'm not sure how it's done (if it can be done at all) in Neo 3....

I don't think that the FIXME ever worked to override the fallback process. All that it would do is determine which Hunspell dictionary would be selected if there were two or more Hunspell dictionaries available for the same language and, more importantly, there is no native Mac OS X dictionary for that locale.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
And now there is LanguageTool 0.9.8 which has the bug corrected.
There seems to be another bug around where cpu usage goes to 100% and stays there after opening two documents in a single action (with the phenomenon not occurring when opening one at a time). Doesn't happen with all docs, but is reproducible. I'll try to find out what is specific about these two files, i.e. what triggers the bug. It's clearly something LanguageTool related as it disappears when the extension is disabled.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
There seems to be another bug around where cpu usage goes to 100% and stays there after opening two documents in a single action (with the phenomenon not occurring when opening one at a time). Doesn't happen with all docs, but is reproducible. I'll try to find out what is specific about these two files, i.e. what triggers the bug. It's clearly something LanguageTool related as it disappears when the extension is disabled.

IIRC, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org will go through the entire document when you first open it and do the spellchecking and grammar checking between processing any keyboard or mouse events. So, if one or both of the documents are lengthy, that may be what is causing the grammar checker to use up all of the CPU.

If that is the cause, then if you wait a little while, the CPU usage should eventually return to normal.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject:

I hit some annoying bug in LanguageTool (again). When typing $("$ (without the dollar signs) an error pops up. I guess the error is with LanguageTool, I will report it there and keep you informed.
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
I hit some annoying bug in LanguageTool (again). When typing $("$ (without the dollar signs) an error pops up. I guess the error is with LanguageTool, I will report it there and keep you informed.
Ok, confirmed to be LanguageTool. It's fixed for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
It's fixed for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
FYI: Version 0.9.9 of LanguageTool is released and available for download at the LanguageTool site.
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject:

Gust wrote:
Did some more research on the issue. It seems that when LanguageTool grammar check on a document is initialised while it is still working on another document, cpu usage goes to 100% and stays there. This situation commonly happens when opening more than one document at the same time. Most easily reproduced when opening the documents (in the Finder) while NeoOffice is already up (because the time lag is then smaller and hence there's a bigger chance that LanguageTool didn't finish the first doc when it starts on the second one).

To reproduce the error:
  1. (Install LanguageTool)
  2. Open NeoOffice
  3. Select in the Finder both docs attached and open them in a single action
  4. Open Activity Monitor to check evolution of cpu usage by NeoOffice
I'm using NeoOffice 3.0.2 patch 0 with LanguageTool 1.0.0 on 10.6.2 64-bit Intel. As noted before, the error has been surfacing on all used combinations of NeoOffice 3 on intel mac os (10.5, 10.6).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:

Does this level of CPU usage stop when you remove LanuageTool?

If so, then clearly it is a LanguageTool issue and you need to contact them. After rereading this forum topic, it is pretty clear that LanguageTool has had some pretty severe bugs in their code in each release. So, if there are bugs in LanguageTool, you need to contact the LanguageTool developers and ask them to fix their code.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Does this level of CPU usage stop when you remove LanuageTool?

BTW, I was able to reproduce the high CPU usage after I installed LanguageTool and opened you 2 sample documents. I do not know what their bugs are (and you need to ask the LanguageTool developers to fix their code), but LanguageTool spawns its own Java thread and their thread appears to be doing something that eats up most of the CPU. I suspect their code is going through some never ending loop.

FYI. The LanguageTool extension also has a nasty bug that causes it to crash NeoOffice if you try uninstalling the extension while it is working on a document. To uninstall (and I recommend that you do as this extension appears to be a massive CPU hog), close all NeoOffice windows, and then uninstall the extension by selecting the Tools :: Extension Manager menu.

Patrick
Gust
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
BTW, I was able to reproduce the high CPU usage after I installed LanguageTool and opened you 2 sample documents. I do not know what their bugs are (and you need to ask the LanguageTool developers to fix their code), but LanguageTool spawns its own Java thread and their thread appears to be doing something that eats up most of the CPU. I suspect their code is going through some never ending loop.
I did some further testing and could reproduce it under openoffice, so it's definitely not a NeoOffice bug as I thought earlier. I had already been testing it on OpenOffice with a different result, but that was probably under windows (don't remember well).
pluby wrote:
FYI. The LanguageTool extension also has a nasty bug that causes it to crash NeoOffice if you try uninstalling the extension while it is working on a document.
Ah, that's one that I encountered earlier but was not able to reproduce reliably. You can avoid it as well by first de-activating LanguageTool, restarting NeoOffice and then removing LanguageTool.
pluby wrote:
To uninstall (and I recommend that you do as this extension appears to be a massive CPU hog), close all NeoOffice windows, and then uninstall the extension by selecting the Tools :: Extension Manager menu.
Unfortunately, LanguageTool is the only multi-language grammar check available for NeoOffice. I will discuss the errors identified with the extension's authors.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum